Waiver Wire Douchery & What I've Done To Fight It Topic

This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
You're free to do whatever you want, but both of those behaviors are legitimate (with the exception of the no reply - that's just rude).
7/30/2014 7:39 PM
I know when it comes to the second one, I've had situations where a guy looks like a good fit for my ML team when he is on the WW, then after I put in the claim and get him I have buyers' remorse, so back on waivers he goes.  Just to play devil's advocate a little bit.
7/30/2014 7:55 PM
1.  I'll answer but I may not be all that interested in your player.

2.  Eventually, he'll start to lose rating points.
7/30/2014 8:13 PM
Second situation happened to me, sort of. I claimed a guy who I thought would be a good bench player for me. After I won the claim I looked a little harder and realized he would be no better than the bench players I had, so I waived him thinking I'd have a decent option waiting in the wings if one of my ML guys got hurt. Well he got claimed from another team. I even put up a message in World Chat asking the owner why he didn't claim him the first time, but got no response. He got a total of 17 at-bats the entire season with the new franchise. Shame.
7/30/2014 8:16 PM
Here is my WW pet peeve. When I sign a major league free agent mid way through the season to add depth to my AAA team and then when I try to send him through waivers, someone claims him. I'm like WTF, if you wanted this player, why didnt you just sign him? Are you basically too lazy to search for free agents and would rather just claim them on the WW? Tard move in my opinion.
8/3/2014 8:47 AM
No, that's like building your new restaurant next to McDonald's - let them do the site selection work.
8/3/2014 8:58 AM
Why should there be any expectation that other owners need to explain to you why they claim your players on the WW?

If I see a player of interest on the WW, I'm not going to start an "investigation" to try to determine what course of actions led to him being put there, or what your motivation might have been for waiving him.  If I like him, and am willing to pick up his salary, I'll put a claim in for him.  And if you ask me why after the fact, I'll tell you "because I might be able to use him".

The only legitimate complaint in this thread is owners not responding to trade chats.  As hypnotoad already mentioned, that's just rude.
8/3/2014 9:24 AM
If I want someone off the waiver wire, I'm going to claim them. If I'm not interested in a trade offer, I'll either respond telling them that or ignore it based on what was sent. If you're thinking responding the way you do helps "train" the people in your world not to do these things or helps your team in any way, then you're wrong. I've dealt with some incredibly annoying people in the past, but if a trade can help my team then I'll deal with them regardless of whether or not they messaged me back one time. Your responses just seem kind of childish.
8/3/2014 10:24 AM
I've claimed many players knowing full well that if I get the claim, I'll have to put them back on waivers to get them down in AAA.  Sometimes somebody else's AAAA roster depth is better than your AAAA roster depth, so you put the claim in hoping to use them as your injury replacements, not so much b/c you think they'll shore up your ML roster as its currently constructed.

As far as the 1st part, sometimes you check a message, think to check in on it later, then forget about it.  Unless I claim a really useful player in the revokable waiver period, I don't stress too much about trading for them.  I like to replay to all messages, just good will, but know I let things slip thru the cracks.  There is 0 reason in this case to hold it against an owner, it may only cost you (what if they put a player on his back 9 signed to a bad deal at the revokable trade deadline, but don't actually put revokable waivers on him, so that when you claim him, he you automatically get his rights and you are stuck with the bad contract?  you said you put a claim in all of their players, best to be careful)  Just assume no response is the same as "no thank you" and move on.

8/4/2014 1:57 PM
Agree with taz on dropped trade chats.  It's accidental; you read it, think, "Geez, that's interesting but I don't have time to really think about it now," and then there's no reminder that you got the message.  I don't really want the programmers, if they ever got a week to work on improvements (if anybody is still programming HBD), to work on cosmetic stuff-- but the one cosmetic thing on my wish list would be a "mark as unread" button for trade chats.
8/4/2014 2:19 PM
I dont think I've ever claimed a guy after the deadline with the intention of making a trade.. I usually do it to block other competing teams from getting a good player for the playoffs..
8/4/2014 2:24 PM
I agree with Will. Nothing wrong with claiming a player and not trading for him. It's a legitimate strategy, and MLB teams use it all the time. The thin about not responding to the trade chat message is impolite - I would at least explain why I don't wish to trade - but not really a serious offense as far as HBD goes.
8/4/2014 4:29 PM
keithjs, am I on your black list?
8/4/2014 6:45 PM
I'm going to make sure to claim every single player keithjs waives.
8/4/2014 11:39 PM
12 Next ▸
Waiver Wire Douchery & What I've Done To Fight It Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.