"Baseball is fine. Don't worry about it" Topic

This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
And, no, it's not based on WAR or OPS+.    They have to be good players, obviously, but they can move ahead of better players by having historical significance.
7/31/2014 4:36 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
This HOF already makes a lot more sense than BL's semi-retarded HOF.

How are you going to fill it?
7/31/2014 5:05 PM
How about this as rule changes...

Players have 1 year of eligibility.
Voters can vote for as many players as they think are worthy, and no more of the "not a first-round HOF BS"
Any voter that votes for a player that earns less than 10% of the total vote loses voting privileges.

7/31/2014 5:17 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 7/31/2014 5:05:00 PM (view original):

What's wrong with my HOF?
7/31/2014 5:23 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 7/31/2014 5:23:00 PM (view original):

You have active players.
7/31/2014 5:26 PM

Start with the guys who are already in.   There are more than 5 at every position.  Start giving them their small plaques with interactive buttons so people can bypass them with ease or stop and take a listen. 
7/31/2014 5:29 PM
Posted by seamar_116 on 7/31/2014 5:17:00 PM (view original):
How about this as rule changes...

Players have 1 year of eligibility.
Voters can vote for as many players as they think are worthy, and no more of the "not a first-round HOF BS"
Any voter that votes for a player that earns less than 10% of the total vote loses voting privileges.

I'm not sure I'd ever eliminate eligibility.   I think that takes care of itself. 

I have no problem with voting for as many as you'd like but, remember, somebody has to go for somebody to get in.

Meh.  Then you've got people calling and saying "Hey, who you voting for?   Don't want to lose my vote."

7/31/2014 5:31 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 7/31/2014 5:26:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 7/31/2014 5:23:00 PM (view original):

You have active players.
So?

I don't think Pujols or Arod have anything left to prove. They're Hall of Famers if they retire tomorrow.
7/31/2014 6:13 PM
I like the premise but it leaves out too many players and doesn't allow much flexibility for inclusion of future inductees.

Take the top 10 players at catcher, 1B, 2B, 3B, SS which equals 50 and I think there are enough outfielders to include the top 50 of all-time in the HOF so there you have 100 position players.

Include the top 75 starting pitchers and top 25 relievers and that would still be an exclusive group with likely all eras of baseball represented.
7/31/2014 11:19 PM
So 200 players?   Isn't that about where we are now?  

Sorry, no dice.
8/1/2014 8:15 AM
In terms of just players, yep.  306 current members - 211 MLB players, 28 execs, 35 Negro leaguers, 22 managers, 10 umps
8/1/2014 8:57 AM

Exactly.  Wormy missed "I think cumbersome/overwhelming is a ****** way to celebrate the sport for the average fan."

IMO, the HOF needs to be something you can go thru in a couple of hours and not feel like you missed something or, if you choose, spend a weekend to dig really deep into the history of baseball.   You can't do that with 300+ monuments.    As I said, not many average fans know who Rizzuto is or why he's in the HOF but, if they see a prominent display, they will feel obligated to look for fear of missing something important.  Then, when they're done, they realize they could have strolled right past and missed nothing.    Give him a small plaque and an interactive button.  

Phil Rizzuto, SS and broadcaster for the New York Yankees. 

Then, if you hit the little button, you can get his stats and highlights.  Hell, let James Earl Jones be the voice describing ****.

8/1/2014 9:07 AM
You've said you haven't been to the HOF. I've been twice. It's not that big and the "average" fan is not going to Cooperstown to see the HOF anyway. I certainly did not feel over-whelmed by things to see. If there were only 75 players in it, you would definitely feel cheated...at least I would.
8/1/2014 10:09 AM
1|2|3...16 Next ▸
"Baseball is fine. Don't worry about it" Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.