"Baseball is fine. Don't worry about it" Topic

Posted by MikeT23 on 8/4/2014 1:21:00 PM (view original):
BTW, that's sort of why I disagree with cheez.    FOX chose the MLB game that they thought would get the most viewers.   And still put it on their secondary channel behind soccer. 
So you're concerned that soccer is the sport that will overtake baseball in the US?
8/4/2014 1:25 PM
Here, in case you think I'm making things up:

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2012/10/09/Media/MLB-reg-season.aspx

And this is where I think MLB is heading:

http://www.sportingnews.com/nascar/story/2013-08-15/nascar-tv-coverage-network-contract-fox-sports-1-nbc-deal-ratings

It also explains why revenue is fine while viewership goes down.

8/4/2014 1:43 PM
Sorry but to me the HOF should be about celebrating the history of the game and educating the younger fans about the past as well as allowing older fans to share who the best of their time period were. With this plan I most likely never would have known who Wee Willie Keeler was or Billy Hamilton or Ed Delehanty. Certainly Lefty Gomez wouldn't be there or Rube Wadell. Even Dizzy Dean probably wouldn't make it.

The more the merrier as far as I'm concerned.

8/4/2014 2:04 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 8/4/2014 1:21:00 PM (view original):
BTW, that's sort of why I disagree with cheez.    FOX chose the MLB game that they thought would get the most viewers.   And still put it on their secondary channel behind soccer. 
I'm not sure how that's a "why" we disagree.  I completely agree with that statement, I just disagree with what it means in the moment.

FOX is trying to move eyes to FS1, because those eyes are more valuable to them there than on FOX, even if there are less of them than there would be on FOX.
8/4/2014 2:17 PM
No one's denying the numbers are dropping, but to put that into perspective, broadcast TV as a whole has lost 50% of it's audience in the same timeframe in the same time that FOX's national broadcasts have lost 35%.  Something else that has happened, and continues to happen, in that time, is that there's more national games to watch and the RSNs have become more dominant.  There was actually a similar report for last year that showed another slight dip for the national broadcasts, but RSN viewing was up 7% year over year.  Fragmentation and online viewing is hurting MLB's numbers the same way it's hurting TV numbers across the board.

Hockey and soccer are showing growth, but those are sports that had such small audiences to begin with, and they also have their available national broadcasts very concentrated.

8/4/2014 2:27 PM
Cheez is right here.  The goal isn't viewers THIS WEEKEND.  The goal is to get FS1 noticed and build viewership.  I would guess they completely blitzed the advertising with FS1 program promos.

FOX is already on every single cable package.  If they can get a few more people to ask for FS1 now, in the long run, they'll make more money.
8/4/2014 2:30 PM
By that reasoning, we should be getting some NFL games this fall on FS1.    Wonder which games they'll show and what they'll show on FOX?
8/4/2014 2:42 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 8/4/2014 2:42:00 PM (view original):
By that reasoning, we should be getting some NFL games this fall on FS1.    Wonder which games they'll show and what they'll show on FOX?
If FOX could get a deal from the NFL that would allow that, they would in a heartbeat.  I've already explained why that won't happen.
8/4/2014 2:43 PM
Yeah, I think you're overestimating how important "eyes on FS1" actually is.   They put UFC prelims on FS1 and "Saturday Night Fights" on FOX.
8/4/2014 3:11 PM
Under terms of a contract that predates FS1.
8/4/2014 3:17 PM
Do you think FOX just decided to create FS1 and PRESTO!!!! it was there?
8/4/2014 3:36 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 8/4/2014 3:36:00 PM (view original):
Do you think FOX just decided to create FS1 and PRESTO!!!! it was there?
Well, obviously I'm sure they were starting the movements towards it, but the UFC deal was done in 2011 and the stated plan was for the cable events to be on FX.  As opposed to the MLB deal which was less than a year before launch and FS1 was specified. 

But regardless of where FS1 was in the process at the time, broadcast TV rights and cable rights are 2 different things.  UFC had cable exposure already and I'm sure they wanted the network exposure and made that part of the contract they were looking.  Obviously networks could have told them to pound sand, but at least one didn't.  FOX signed for 4 broadcast TV events a year - they can't just unilaterally move those events to cable because they'd rather have it there now.
8/4/2014 3:47 PM
From a 2013 article announcing the launch of FS1:

Why is now the right time to launch a new cable sports network? Fox Sports co-president Randy Freer said the sports rights deals acquired by the company over the past five years have set the ground work to be a viable player against ESPN. "We believe we have amassed enough live events and can package and put programming around it where we can have scale, significance, and be a major player in the market," Freer said.
8/4/2014 3:50 PM
Now you can argue that the UFC gave FOX the right to air prelims and TUF on FS1 in exchange for 4 primetime broadcast TV events but I'm not sure the UFC was weilding that big of a hammer in 2011.
8/4/2014 3:53 PM
◂ Prev 1...4|5|6|7|8...16 Next ▸
"Baseball is fine. Don't worry about it" Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.