"Baseball is fine. Don't worry about it" Topic

This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Ever watch a game and the announced attendance is 23,589 but you know, if you tried, you could count the people?

No one is saying baseball is dying.   Baseball is less popular.  The time to address it is before it becomes boxing or horse racing not after.
8/4/2014 8:52 PM
I've been involved in coaching youth baseball in my town for the past 8 years (both of my kids), and I can definitely say that there's been a definite loss of younger kids from baseball to other sports, particularly soccer and lacrosse, over that period of time.  Even the older kids, who stuck with baseball all through Little League, are also moving towards other sports like rugby rather than continue with baseball as teenagers.

What makes anybody think that if they are moving away from playing baseball as kids that they will be moving back to baseball as fans when they are adults?
8/4/2014 9:06 PM

I can't hear you.   Baseball is fine.  Now quit talking about it!!!!!
8/4/2014 9:09 PM
Finally found a rating for the soccer game.  If the idea was that soccer might draw better than Yanks/Sox, we'll know when FOX announces some firings.  It drew a .55 rating, good for about 600,000 households, which is about 1/3 of the minimum you would realistically expect to draw with Yanks/Sox.

For the record, FOX is doing a terrible job of getting eyes to FS1, because Yanks/Sox drew about the same, and that's where I think this contract might be a bad long-term move for MLB, but that is absolutely what they are doing.

8/4/2014 9:33 PM (edited)
Posted by The Taint on 8/4/2014 9:16:00 PM (view original):
Football participation by kids is down 10 percent since 2010 as well.

Football is immune to such things.    Sort of silly to compare football and baseball. 

8/4/2014 9:35 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 8/4/2014 8:18:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 8/4/2014 7:46:00 PM (view original):
Posted by cobra on 8/4/2014 7:25:00 PM (view original):
Wait,
Most of you guys don't think baseball is losing its hold on American audiences?
Relative 1950. Sure. Less people, as a percentage, care about baseball. But there are still more baseball fans today than there were 50 years ago. It's fine.
Losing market share of public interest is "fine"?

Did you learn this in your Business 101 course at Retardville U?
It depends. American culture is different today than it was 50 years ago. There are more things to watch on TV, more things to do in person. It's expected that MLB would lose market share between then and now.

But, even with that decline in market share, revenue is growing and MLB is fine. Also, tweaking the HOF has zero impact on this.

8/4/2014 9:38 PM
Posted by The Taint on 8/4/2014 9:39:00 PM (view original):

Was that true 60 years ago?

No.  But times have changed.   Baseball is slow to react.
8/4/2014 9:41 PM
Posted by dahsdebater on 8/4/2014 9:41:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 8/4/2014 8:52:00 PM (view original):
Ever watch a game and the announced attendance is 23,589 but you know, if you tried, you could count the people?

No one is saying baseball is dying.   Baseball is less popular.  The time to address it is before it becomes boxing or horse racing not after.
That's sort of irrelevant, isn't it?  It doesn't matter if they're there, people bought the tickets.  That means the team gets the revenue, first of all, but it also means someone had the interest to buy the ticket.  So maybe something came up and they can't be there.  Not all season ticket holders make it to all the games.  But at least as far as individual (rather than corporate) season tickets holders are concerned, if they didn't enjoy the sport they wouldn't have bought the tickets in the first place.  Doesn't matter how much disposable income/cash on hand you have, you aren't just going to dump it on season tickets to the local team if you don't care.

OK, revenueboy.   You buy season tickets.   You go to about 50 games and eat 31 games of tickets because you just weren't interested.   Do you repeat the process next year?

8/4/2014 9:43 PM
And for ****'s sake.   Less words, you prissy woman.  
8/4/2014 9:43 PM
I'm not reading your long-winded drivel.  You're not that interesting.  I don't care what your momma tells you.
8/4/2014 9:46 PM
Posted by dahsdebater on 8/4/2014 9:45:00 PM (view original):
I can't believe how proud you are of being an ignoramus.
By now it really shouldn't be a surprise.
8/4/2014 9:53 PM
◂ Prev 1...6|7|8|9|10...16 Next ▸
"Baseball is fine. Don't worry about it" Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.