Posted by yankeeso7 on 9/30/2014 9:50:00 AM (view original):
Posted by rickysdad44 on 9/30/2014 5:16:00 AM (view original):
Game 5 in the $120M division series, bottom of the 13th with a 9-7 lead. Rick Helling on the mound since 2 out in the 11th and he started at 89%. In the bullpen, Closer A Erik Gagne at 100% waits for his opportunity to advance the team to the League Championship. 1st batter, Rogers Hornsby - Line drive solo HR to RCF. 9-8 lead. Gagne chomping at the bit. Manager Dopey Sim appears to be playing on his phone. Next batter, Alex Rodriguez - jacks a line drive solo HR to LCF. 9-9 tie. Gagne is about to lose it. Helling is in tears, looks like his arm is going to fall off. Manager Dopey Sim is updating his Facebook profile with a new selfie. 3rd batter, Babe Ruth - smacks a line drive into the right field corner for an INSIDE THE PARK HR! 

Seriously???
one thing that surprised me was the non factor pitching fatigue seemed to play in that league. i had way too many innings which hurt my offensive production but found myself many times going against 80% and below pitchers and unable to get a hit off of them while my 100% pitchers were getting hit around. and its not like my hitters were seriuosly fatigued. most of the time my starters were at 99-100%
Same here, except my hitters were not even fatigued (all but one playing at 100% all year, the other a reserve dropped no lower than 98%) and I would be dominated by fatigued pitchers.
9/30/2014 11:23 AM
Well, at the risk of being "contrarian" I go the other way on this.  Look at the stats in that league...the hitters completely dominated in every way.  Every team was putting great pitchers on the mound, and they were all getting killed.  My guys all had ERAs 2.5-4.0 runs above their actual.  It would have really sucked had the fatigue penalties been even more severe (and the league even more dominated by the hittiers.)

My problem with the SIM is that fatigue hampers performance too much, especially for pitchers.  I would like to see the penalties relaxed, and would actually like to see the balance of the SIM tipped a little more in favor of the pitchers.  Too many hitters outperform, at every cap.  Too few pitchers do.
9/30/2014 3:52 PM

Every game was played at Coors.  This is the ONLY reason why hitters overachieved.  In virtually all "normal" 120M themes, hitters do worse than their real life stats (and so do pitchers). 

I can't imagine my 1921 Ruth performing much worse than this (in different high cap league).  18 HRs in 152 games.

Ruth, Babe 1921 L 152 606 122 169 29 8 18 117 114 135 5 0 0 .279 .395 .442 .837 0 15

9/30/2014 4:46 PM
I folded in the 120 league badly.  Led from Wire to about a week left in the season.  Choking that one is going to cost me Round 2.
9/30/2014 7:34 PM
3 Game 5 losses in the first round, of course
9/30/2014 10:31 PM
In League 4C 3 LCS teams are Indians-Expos/Nats and the 4th is Cubs-Expos/Nats. I admit it bugs me when there is a theme where there was only one way to be successful. Were the other 100 mil leagues like this?
10/1/2014 9:06 AM
While I highly doubt that was the only way to win, I'm a little surprised more people didn't choose the Indians/expos. I thought they were the obvious choice, they were the first team I built, and none of the other combos I tried looked quite as good, The chance to put Joss and Raines on the same team was very hard to pass up.
10/1/2014 9:17 AM
Here are the other LCS matchups:

4A
Indians / Expos vs. Yankees / Mets
Indians / Expos vs. White Sox / Rockies

4B
Indians / Padres vs. Giants / Expos
Indians / Mets vs. Indians / Brewers

4D
Cardinals / Expos vs. Cardinals / Astros
Red Sox / Angels vs. Phillies / Expos

I have that Cardinals / Expos team in 4D.  I liked the Cardinals hitting choices better than the Indians.  I think many different strategies can win.  Certainly some combinations have better odds of winning than others, but that's true in every theme.  Part of the strategy of this tournament is to research and find the best strategies/combinations.
10/1/2014 9:27 AM
I got the Indians part right...but apparently the Mariners are the wrong team to pair it with as I lost 103 games.

Still hoping to be the highest overall finisher with a 100-loss team!

10/1/2014 10:44 AM
I am always amazed with the sim engine that a team can win the season series against another team and then get absolutely crushed in the playoffs. Now I remember why I had given up baseball.
10/1/2014 6:36 PM
Somehow my 80m team has made the finals of it's ToC. Unfortunately it's now facing a brianjw team that greatly outclasses it and has yet to lose a single game in the ToC.
10/31/2014 9:22 AM
That's an unfair matchup. Mine was an OL team designed to play well in TOC. I thought I'd be up against other OL teams only by now.
10/31/2014 9:31 AM
I figured as much but I was thrown off looking at the roster and seeing Pedro instead of Addie. And no AAA players.
10/31/2014 9:33 AM
It's a fun challenge to try and win an OL without any AAA players on the final roster. A harder challenge (which I've never managed) is to win without ever using AAA. But I suspect that's too hard.

And after this setup, Toney blows the save in GM 1. The Moose might yet win it all!
11/1/2014 12:00 PM
Let's not get ahead of ourselves here. Winning a Pedro start certainly helps, though.
11/1/2014 10:03 PM
◂ Prev 1...4|5|6|7 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.