NEW: What If Jubilee Prog League FULL ! Topic

Just to make the process clear: We need a system that is very, very simple, straightforward and clear, otherwise either I will need to officiate things constantly or we will have room for conflict between owners, or spend all our time trying to figure out who should be where in Jubilee years including our inaugural one. 

So I am sticking with how the rules are written: the front line rule is: you load the TEAM into the WIS DC as a team - e.g. 1969 Mets, 1944 Tigers, 1950 Phillies and whoever comes up that is the roster. The Second line team is used ONLY in cases where, when you have loaded all the teams, you find that somehow one player is on more than one roster. That is true of only one player for 1944. In that case the rule is as stated: whichever team the player began the year with. But that rule is the second line rule used only after you find there is an ambiguity when you have loaded team rosters in to draft. 

Eddie Stanky comes up when you just put the 1944 Dodgers into the DC. He does not come up when you put in the Cubs. The rule about which team someone started the season with is essentially only a tie-breaker. It is for the odd cases - and there is only one for all of 1944, where WIS puts the same player on two teams when you load only the team into the DC. 

So Stanky is on the Dodgers. Otherwise we would need to research every player in every year and I have no desire to have to go through that, since it means endless second-guessing, conflicts between owners and so on. We need a very simple, straight-forward and transparent rule. That rule is that you load the team into the draft center and that is the roster for Jubilee years. When you load two or more teams in and find the same player we go with which team the player started the season with. 

I hope this clarifies it. By the way, there are some cases where players who were on teams are not listed for that year with the team because it already has 25 players and the other players at the same position have more PA so WiS does not include them. McBride OF of the 1944 Red Sox for example, is left off, but adding him would mean a 26 man roster which WIS won't do and neither will we. 
8/13/2014 6:22 PM
I'll jump on board with the A's
8/19/2014 7:03 PM
Welcome aboard nikospade !

1.italyprof (will choose franchise after 12 owners are in)

2. dh0220 - Detroit Tigers
3.topkat - Cleveland Indians
4.coled - St. Louis Cardinals
5.poppapomp - Brooklyn Dodgers
6.cleonjones - New York Giants
7.mini157 - St. Louis Browns/Baltimore Orioles
8.specsman - Cincinnati Reds
9.shawbigred - Chicago Cubs
10.crazyjoe02 - New York Yankees 
11.nikospade - Philadelphia/Kansas City/Oakland Athletics (As)

10 owners in. Only 6 to go and we can start our first season. 

Still available: 

AL
Chicago White Sox
Boston Red Sox
Washington Senators (original)/Minnesota Twins

NL 

Philadelphia Blue Jays (for 1944-5 only)/Phillies
Boston/Milwaukee/Atlanta Braves
Pittsburgh Pirates
8/20/2014 3:48 PM
I will re-post the correct rosters this weekend: the correct method we have found is not to download the team from the year as such after all, but instead to go to the generic utility player or pitcher to draft, then put the team and year and put the minimum games to "zero". 

That will give the basic roster BUT any player that appears on two or more teams' rosters will be on the team that they started the season with in the Jubilee Seasons, including 1944. So be aware that once you load the players using this method, you need to check if any of your players started the year with another team. If so they are on that team, regardless of the number of PA or IP (this is in keeping with the "original team" Jubilee theme of the league). 

Again, I will post correct rosters by Sunday, when I have had a chance. Busy week.
8/20/2014 3:54 PM

Here are the REVISED rosters that we will use to start the season. They are based on the following method: click on "utility player" and on "optional" pitcher and set minimum games to zero. Then look for players that played for the team in 1944. BUT any player that appears on two or more rosters will be on the team that they began the 1944 season with. 

Any team roster larger than 25 requires the owner of that team to name (here in the forum or by sitemail to me) the player or players that will be cut form that team in time to start the 1944 season. Those players cut will be eligible to be drafted by the teams that are below 25 players and that need additional players. The draft order for that draft will be randomly assigned. Once all those players that played in 1944 but overstocked their teams' rosters beyond 25 have been drafted, any team with fewer than 25 players still may reach 25 on their roster by adding any 400K or lower value player in the WIS database. 

Revised 1944 Rosters for first season of What If Jubilee League

Boston Braves 1944 - revised

C Phil Masi, Clyde Kluttz, Stew Hofferth

1B Max Macon,  Buck Ethison

2B Connie Ryan, Frank Drews

3B Damon Phillips, Roland Gladu, Warren Huston

SS Whitey Wietelmann

OF Tommy Holmes, Butch Nieman, Chuck Workman, Ab Wright, Chet Ross

P Jim Tobin, Nate Andrews, Al Javery, Red Barrett, Ira Hutchinson, Stan Klopp, Ben Cardoni, Johnny Hutchings, Woody Rich

Full 25 player roster

Boston Red Sox 1944 - revised

C Roy Partee, Johnny Peacock

1B Lou Finney, Joe Cronin

2B Bobby Doerr

3B Jim Tabor, Jim Bucher

SS Skeeter Newsome, Eddie Lake

OF Bob Johnson, Catfish Metkovich, Pete Fox, Leon Culberson, Ford Garrison, Tom McBride

P Joe Bowman, Tex Hughson, Emmett O’Neill, Pinky Woods, Mike Ryba, Frank Barrett, Clem Hausmann, Yank Terry, Rex Cecil, Oscar Judd, Clem Dreisewerd, Vic Johnson

Overstocked  27 player roster – Red Sox owner must announce which two players will be draft eligible before 1944 season. 

Brooklyn Dodgers 1944 - poppapomp - revised

C Mickey Owen

1B Howie Schultz, Jack Bolling

2B Eddie Stanky, Eddie Basinski, Barney Koch

3B Frenchy Bordagaray , Eddie Miksis

SS Bobby Bragan, Tommy Brown, Bill Hart, Gil English

OF Augie Galan, Dixie Walker, Luis Olmo, Goody Rosen, Paul Waner, Morrie Aderholt

P Hal Gregg, Curt Davis, Rube Melton, Les Webber, Cal McLish, Tommy Warren, Ralph Branca, Clyde King, Art Herring, Ben Chapman, Ed Head, Fritz Ostermueller ,Bob Chipman, Whit Wyatt,

Overstocked 32 player roster. Brooklyn owner must announce which 7 players will be draft eligible before the 1944 season.

Chicago Cubs 1944 - shawbigred - revised

C Dewey Williams, Mickey Kreitner, Billy Holm

1B Phil Cavaretta

2B Don Johnson, Eddie Stanky

3B Stan Hack, Roy Hughes

SS Lennie Merullo, Bill Schuster, Tony York

OF Bill Nicholson, Andy Pafko, Dom Dallessandro, Ival Goodman, Frank Secory, Lou Novikoff, Ed Sauer

P Hank Wyse, Claude Passeau, Paul Derringer, Bill Fleming, Hy Vandenberg, Paul Erickson, Red Lynn, Ed Hanyzewski

Overstocked 26 player roster. Chicago owner must announce which player will be draft eligible before 1944 season. 

Chicago White Sox 1944 - revised

C Mike Tresh, Tom Turner, Vince Castino

1B Hal Trosky

2B  Roy Schalk

3B Ralph Hodgin, Grey Clark, Tony Cuccinello

SS Skeeter Webb, Cass Michaels

OF Wally Moses, Thurman Tucker, Eddie Carnett, Guy Curtright, Johnny Dickshot, Myril Hoag

P Bill Dietrich, Orval Grove, Ed Lopat, Johnny Humphries, Joe Haynes, Gordon Maltzberger, Buck Ross, Jake Wade, Thornton Lee

Complete 25 player roster

Cincinnati Reds 1944 - specsman - revised

C Ray Meuller

1B Frank McCormick

2B Woody Williams

3B SteveMesner, Chuck Aleno

SS Eddie Miller

OF Eric Tipton, Gee Walker, Dain Clay, Max Marshall, Tony Criscola, Estel Crabtree

P Bucky Walters, Ed Huesser, Clyde Shoun, Tommy Dela Cruz, Harry Gumbert, Arnold Carter, Jim Konstanty, Elmer Riddle

Incomplete foster of 20 - Need 5 additional players

Cleveland Indians 1944 - topkat - revised

C Buddy Rosar, Norm Schlueter, George Susce

1B Mickey Rocco

2B Ray Mack, Rusty Peters, Jimmy Grant

3B Ken Keltner

SS Lou Boudreau

OF Roy Cullenbine, Oris Hockett, Pat Seerey, Jeff Heath, Paul O’Dea

P Mel Harder, Al Smith, Steve Gromek, Ed Klieman, Allie Reynolds, Joe Heving, Ray Poat, Paul Calvert, Jim Bagby Jr., Vern Kennedy, Hal Kleine

Complete 25 player roster 

Detroit Tigers 1944 - dh0220 - revised

C Paul Richards, Bob Swift

1B Rudy York

2B Eddie Mayo

3B Pinky Higgins,

SS Joe Hoover, Joe Orengo

OF Doc Cramer, Jimmy Outlaw, Dick Wakefield, Chuck Hostetler, Don Ross, Charlie Metro

P Dizzy Trout, Hal Newhouser, Rufe Gentry, Stubby Overmire, Johnny Gorsica, Boom-Boom Beck, Jake Mooty

Incomplete 20 player roster. Need 5 additional players

New York Giants 1944 - cleonjones - revised

C Ernie Lombardi, Gus Mancuso

1B Phil Weintraub, Nap Reyes

2B George Hausmann

3B Hal Luby, Billy Jurges

SS Buddy Kerr

OF Johnny Rucker, Joe Medwick, Mel Ott, Red Treadway, Danny Gardella, Bruce Sloan, Charlie Mead

P Bill Voiselle, Harry Feldman, Ewald Pyle, Ace Adams, Rube Fischer, Frank Seward, Andy Hansen, Lou Polli, Johnny Allen, Jack Brewer, Cliff Melton

Overstocked 26 player roster. New York Giants owner must announce which player will be draft eligible before 1944 season.

New York Yankees 1944 - crazyjoe02 - revised

C Mike Garbark, Rollie Hemsley

1B Nick Etten

2B Snuffy Stirnweiss

3B Oscar Grimes, Don Savage

SS Mike Milosevich, Frankie Crosetti

OF Johnny Lindell, Bud Metheny, Hersh Martin, Ed Levy, Russ Derry, Larry Rosenthal, Tuck Stainback

P Hank Borowy, Monk Dubiel, Tiny Bonham, Atley Donald, Bill Zuber, Jim Turner, Johnny Johnson, Joe Page, Steve Roser, Al Lyons, Mel Queen, Bill Bevens,

Overstocked  27 player roster. New York Yankees owner must announce which 2 players will be draft eligible before 1944 season. 

Philadelphia Athletics 1944 - nikospade - revised

C Frankie Hayes, Hal Wagner

1B Dick Siebert, Bill McGhee

2B Irv Hall, Joe Rullo

3B George Kell, Joe Burns

SS Ed Busch

OF Bobby Estalella, Jo-Jo White,  Bill Burgo

P Bobo Newsom, Don Black, Jesse Flores, Russ Christopher, Luke Hamlin, Joe Berry, Lum Harris, Carl Scheib, Woody Wheaton

Incomplete 21 player roster. Need 4 additional players

Philadelphia Blue Jays (for 1944 and 1945 only the Phillies went by that name) 1944 - revised

C Bob Finley, Andy Seminick, Johnny Peacock

1B Tony Lupien

2B Moon Mullen, Charlie Letchas

3B Glen Stewart, Ted Cieslak

SS Ray Hamrick, Granny Hamner

OF BusterAdams, Ron Northey, Jimmy Wasdell, Coaker Triplett

P Ken Raffensberger, Charley Schanz, Al Gerhauser, Dick Barrett, Bill Lee, Andy Karl, Chet Covington, Harry Shuman, Dale Matthewson, Vern Kennedy

Incomplete 24 playler roster. Need 1 additional player

Pittsburgh Pirates 1944 -  revised

C Al Lopez, Hank Camelli, Spud Davis

1B Babe Dahlgren

2B Pete Coscarart

3B Bob Elliott

SS Frankie Gustine, Frankie Zak

OF Jim Russell, Johnny Barrett, Vince Dimaggio, Frank Coman, Al Rubeling, Tommy O’Brien

P Rip Sewell, Max Butcher, Nick StrincevichPreacher Roe, Xavier Rescingo, Cookie Cuccurullo, Ray Starr

St. Louis Browns 1944 -  mini157 - revised

C Red Hayworth, Frank Mancuso

1B George McQuinn, Mike Chartak

2B Don Gutteridge, Floyd Baker

3B Mark Christman

SS Vern Stephens

OF Milt Byrnes, Mike Kreevich, Gene Moore, Al Zarilla, Chet Laabs, Frank Demaree, Hal Epps

P Jack Kramer, Nels Potter, Bob Muncrief, Sig Jakucki, Denny Galehouse, George Caster, Al Hollingsworth, Tex Shirley, Sam Zoldak

Incomplete 24 player roster. Need 1 additional player

St. Louis Cardinals 1944 - coled - revised

C Walker Cooper, Ken O’Dea

1B Ray Sanders

2B Emil Veban, George Fallon

3B Whitey Kurowski

SS Marty Marion

OF Stan Musial, Johnny Hopp, Danny Litwhiler, Augie Bergamo, Pepper Martin, Debs Garm

P Mort Cooper, Max Lanier, Harry Brecheen, Ted Wilks, Al Jurisch, Freddy Schmidt, Blix Donnelly, Red Munger, Harry Gumbert, Bud Byerly

Incomplete 23 player roster. Need 2 additional players

Washington Senators 1944 - revised

C Rick Ferrell, Mike Guerra

1B Joe Kuhel

2B George Myatt, Fred Vaughn

3B Gil Torres, Hillis Layne

SS John Sullivan

OF Stan Spence, George Case, Jake Powell, Roberto Ortiz, Ed Boland

P Dutch Leonard, Mickey Haefner, Early Wynn, Johnny Niggeling, Roger Wolff, Alex Carrasquel, Milo Candini, Bill Lefebvre

1.italyprof (will choose franchise after 12 owners are in)

11.nikospade - Philadelphia/Kansas City/Oakland Athletics

9 owners in. Only 7 to go and we can start our first season. 

Still available: 

AL
Chicago White Sox
Boston Red Sox
Washington Senators (original)/Minnesota Twins

NL 

Philadelphia Blue Jays (for 1944-5 only)/Phillies
Pittsburgh Pirates
8/22/2014 6:56 PM
Will we be able to carry players on IR?

There is a lot crazy roster changes for this time frame. Players get dropped to make room for returning stars and don't show up again for two or three seasons, I noticed a lot of the rookies in 1945 play one year and aren't eligible again until 1948, Do they just go back into the draft pool?

I can see why you chose 1944. Most of the superstars were off to war. The 1945 draft is a dud, The 1946 draft will be a killer.

I was going to take the Braves but they don't get Aaron and Mathews until 1956 and Maddox is a Cub in 1992 so they get screwed there.

Seems like you either need to have really good team to start with or a really bad team so you get a chance in the draft,

If I join it will be for the long haul. I don't bail, There are leagues I've been in for 20 seasons or more,

I am going to have to do more research.
9/3/2014 1:18 AM
fatboydad54, yes, you have understood exactly my thinking behind the details of the league. 

I did one or two surveys of teams before founding the league to see how it would go, but confess I did not look into the Braves. Understand the thinking on your part, and yes there is some strategy involved in choice of franchise, and yes 1944 was selected partly because it throws things up in the air and makes them less predictable. 

But yes to your first question: if a player is on the team roster in 1944 and then misses seasons before the next Jubilee, assuming you don't cut them, you keep them on IR/DL as in any other progressive I know of, and this is also true of players you draft trade for etc. the DL/IR works as it normally does in any other prog. 

Your sense of commitment is admirable, so I prefer you think it through as you are doing and join for the very motives that would make you a great owner to have join the league. We hope you do !

We are up to 13 now by the way. Here is the outlook:

1.italyprof - Philadelphia Phillies (Blue Jays in 1944)

12.Bull Moose  - Pittsburgh Pirates
13.dreeves - Boston Red Sox 

Still available: 

Washington Senators/Minnesota Twins
Chicago White Sox

9/3/2014 8:46 AM
How are divisions set up for year 1 and beyond or do you simply have 2 leagues?  Thanks.
9/3/2014 8:58 AM
Will this always be a 16 team league? What happens after expansion? The draft pool is going to explode eventually.
9/3/2014 11:14 AM
After further exploration and considerable inner debate I will join this juggernaut with the 1944 Washington Senators.

I will name the team "The Pregnant Solons" because we are expecting Twins (just kidding about the name).
9/3/2014 12:57 PM
Even after fatboydad's ringing endorsement of the Braves, I was still, uh, brave enough to jump in. Have some mercy on me!

Maybe since we're resetting the rosters every seven years we could randomly reassign the teams every jubilee year, too!? I doubt the stocked teams would go for that, but figured I'd throw it out there.
9/3/2014 9:24 PM
Hello everyone, 

The league has filled ! We can get things rolling. Here is what we need to do now in order:

1. owners with rosters that have more than 25 players need to list in the Progressive Classifieds forum thread - I don't see the new league forum yet for some reason - which players they are cutting to be made draft eligible by the teams needing more players. 

2. We need everyone to vote - on the Progressive League Forum Thread - on the following question regarding stadiums: 

A. We use original stadiums used by our teams in the relevant seasons. 

B. We use any parks, but only one of each stadium in the league. If this one passes we will need to generate a random table of owners to pick their stadiums in a one-round ballpark draft. 

So please vote now on which of these you support. 

3. Once that issue is resolved, so owners know what stadium they will use, and once down to 25 players owners can enter their teams into the league. 

Our League number is MLB110320.

4. I will generate a random order for drafting the remaining 1944 players cut by excess roster teams, with only those teams needing players drafting. It looks like a 4-5 round draft since some teams need only one more player. With only 8 teams participating we should be able to get it done in 1-2 days. Let's have the draft Monday, since some people may not get this message in time if they are away for the weekend. This means that by Tuesday that should be done and we can start play by mid-week. 

Thanks everyone for your patience. This should be a lot of fun. 

I will sign you all up for the league forum as soon as I see it opened - not sure why it is not but it might be that we need to fill the league first. 

Here is our league: 

1.italyprof - Chicago White Sox
12.Bull Moose - Pittsburgh Pirates
13.dreeves - Boston Red Sox 
14.hersheybear - Boston/Milwaukee/Atlanta Braves
15.fatboydad54 Washington Senators (original)/Minnesota Twins
16.crazyamos - Philadelphia Phillies/Blue Jays (1944)

Here are the teams with respect to players in excess or deficit: 

Teams with complete rosters – 3

Italyprof Chicago White Sox – 25 players Comiskey Park

Hersheybear – Boston Braves – 25 players

Topkat – Cleveland Indians – 25 players

Teams with excess players – 5

Dreeves Boston Red Sox – 27 players – need to drop 2

Poppapomp Brooklyn Dodgers – 32 players – need to drop 7

Shawbigred – Chicago White Sox – 26 players - need to drop 1

Cleonjones – New York Giants – 26 players – need to drop 1

Crazyjoe02 – New York Yankees – 27 players – need to drop 2

Total excess players - 13

Teams needing more players – 8

Specsman – Cincinnati Reds – 20 players – need 5 more

Dh0220 – Detroit Tigers – 20 players – need 5 more

Nikospade – Philadelphia Athletics – 21 players – need 4 more

Crazyamos – Philadelphia Phillies/Blue Jays – 24 players – need 1 more

BullMoose – Pittsburgh Pirates – 21 players – need 4 more

Mini157 – St. Louis Browns – 24 players – need 1 more

Coled – St. Louis Cardinals – 23 players – need 2 more

Fatboydad54 – Washington Senators - 21 players – need 4 more

Total deficit players - 26

9/5/2014 7:34 AM
◂ Prev 12
NEW: What If Jubilee Prog League FULL ! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.