Ferguson Police should be outlawed Topic

Posted by tecwrg on 11/26/2014 9:47:00 AM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 11/26/2014 9:31:00 AM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 11/26/2014 9:26:00 AM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 11/26/2014 9:19:00 AM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 11/26/2014 7:45:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/26/2014 7:00:00 AM (view original):
In the minds of many, the only acceptable outcome was life in prison or execution for Wilson.   Otherwise, there was no justice.  This guy obviously wanted justice.

Exactly.  They don't really want "justice", despite the many signs the protesters have been carrying demanding it.  They just want the white cop to be guilty, even if he's not.

Just like the lynch mob mentality of the 1930's.

You're really acting like an idiot.

I'll ask again - What were 1930's blacks being "scapegoats" for? Why was the white population lynching blacks?

Is there a reason the blacks in Ferguson are acting the way they are?
1930's.  Something bad happens to a white person.  Let's find a darkie and string him up from the nearest tree.  Because he's got the skin color we don't trust or like.

Ferguson.  Something bad happened to a black person.  Let's ignore facts and evidence and demand that the white cop be convicted.  Because he's got the skin color we don't trust or like.

So again, you're missing the point.  Ferguson residents aren't protesting how all white people are out to get them.  But this PD seems to be, based on prior experience and evidence of arrest/crime records by the same PD. An unarmed teenager was killed, and they don't believe the officer's account, because the PD has ****** them over before.

What horrible thing did blacks do in the 1930s in treating white people so unfairly? Aside from not being their property?
Yeah, you're the one missing the point.

It doesn't matter what the specific reasons were in the 1930's, or what the specific reasons are in 2014.  The commonality is that there was/is fear, hatred and distrust of people of the opposite color in both scenarios, and when there was/is an incident, the immediate reaction was/is mob mentality and demands for punishment.  Facts or evidence don't matter.  Somebody's gotta pay.  Doesn't matter if they're actually guilty or not.

We look back at those kneejerk reactions in the 30's with disgust and horror.  Yet some people seem to want to condone what's going on today as justified.

What part of that do you not understand, or disgree with?

The evidence is somewhat foggy (which works in Wilson's benefit, which is the way it's supposed to be), and the system is being run by people they don't trust. If they lynched Wilson, that would be more of an equivalent of the lynching of the 1930s. They'd be taking justice into their own hands.  That said, Wilson did kill Brown. People were lynched in the 1930s for looking at someone funny.  And there were many of them. It's not nearly the same thing.
11/26/2014 9:58 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/26/2014 9:57:00 AM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 11/26/2014 9:54:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/26/2014 9:44:00 AM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 11/26/2014 9:42:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/26/2014 9:40:00 AM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 11/26/2014 9:39:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/26/2014 9:37:00 AM (view original):
My guess is the Brown family will seek a payday. 
Absolutely. 
Then wouldn't you expect them to suggest Wilson is guilty of blatant racism in the past?
They seem to think there's evidence of that.  If there's evidence of the PD as a whole being racist, maybe there's evidence of Wilson specifically as well.
Even if there wasn't any evidence of it, wouldn't you think a family seeking a payday, even an out of court settlement, would suggest that there is?
Yes. I'm not telling you this evidence exists, I'm only saying that if that evidence does exist, I don't feel as bad for Wilson.
The "evidence" could be that Wilson has made 118 arrests in his career.   87% of them were black.    Is that good enough?
No. What's the overall conviction rate of his arrests? What the conviction rate of blacks and whites he arrested? What's the demographics of the town? I know it's largely black, but is it somewhat close to 87%? Is there any kind of other evidence that he treated blacks unfairly? How long were blacks held in jail when they were found innocent compared to whites? How was he communicating with them? I'm sure there's some video evidence in the PD?
11/26/2014 10:02 AM
Posted by burnsy483 on 11/26/2014 9:58:00 AM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 11/26/2014 9:47:00 AM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 11/26/2014 9:31:00 AM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 11/26/2014 9:26:00 AM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 11/26/2014 9:19:00 AM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 11/26/2014 7:45:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/26/2014 7:00:00 AM (view original):
In the minds of many, the only acceptable outcome was life in prison or execution for Wilson.   Otherwise, there was no justice.  This guy obviously wanted justice.

Exactly.  They don't really want "justice", despite the many signs the protesters have been carrying demanding it.  They just want the white cop to be guilty, even if he's not.

Just like the lynch mob mentality of the 1930's.

You're really acting like an idiot.

I'll ask again - What were 1930's blacks being "scapegoats" for? Why was the white population lynching blacks?

Is there a reason the blacks in Ferguson are acting the way they are?
1930's.  Something bad happens to a white person.  Let's find a darkie and string him up from the nearest tree.  Because he's got the skin color we don't trust or like.

Ferguson.  Something bad happened to a black person.  Let's ignore facts and evidence and demand that the white cop be convicted.  Because he's got the skin color we don't trust or like.

So again, you're missing the point.  Ferguson residents aren't protesting how all white people are out to get them.  But this PD seems to be, based on prior experience and evidence of arrest/crime records by the same PD. An unarmed teenager was killed, and they don't believe the officer's account, because the PD has ****** them over before.

What horrible thing did blacks do in the 1930s in treating white people so unfairly? Aside from not being their property?
Yeah, you're the one missing the point.

It doesn't matter what the specific reasons were in the 1930's, or what the specific reasons are in 2014.  The commonality is that there was/is fear, hatred and distrust of people of the opposite color in both scenarios, and when there was/is an incident, the immediate reaction was/is mob mentality and demands for punishment.  Facts or evidence don't matter.  Somebody's gotta pay.  Doesn't matter if they're actually guilty or not.

We look back at those kneejerk reactions in the 30's with disgust and horror.  Yet some people seem to want to condone what's going on today as justified.

What part of that do you not understand, or disgree with?

The evidence is somewhat foggy (which works in Wilson's benefit, which is the way it's supposed to be), and the system is being run by people they don't trust. If they lynched Wilson, that would be more of an equivalent of the lynching of the 1930s. They'd be taking justice into their own hands.  That said, Wilson did kill Brown. People were lynched in the 1930s for looking at someone funny.  And there were many of them. It's not nearly the same thing.
Yea, the better equivalent would be if this town had an issue where every time a cop acted like a dick to a black person, a group of residents lynched the cop. And it was accepted by the majority of the black residents throughout the area. That's a better equivalent. 

EDIT: And also, the cops had little to no history of being racist in the first place.  Also, the black community owned their parents as property.
11/26/2014 10:06 AM (edited)
You do understand that the evidence did not matter in Ferguson, right?     That there was no other reasonable outcome to the Grand Jury findings than white cop killed unarmed black teenager without justification, right?
11/26/2014 10:11 AM
I'd argue that if there was visual evidence that showed that Wilson's story was correct, that you don't see the same reaction you see now.
11/26/2014 10:18 AM
Better question: Doesn't each cop car have video? Why doesn't this one? That would at least help.
11/26/2014 10:21 AM
There isn't so that's a moot point.    Now do you understand that the actual evidence did not matter in Ferguson, right?     That there was no other reasonable outcome to the Grand Jury findings than white cop killed unarmed black teenager without justification, right?
11/26/2014 10:21 AM
Posted by burnsy483 on 11/26/2014 10:21:00 AM (view original):
Better question: Doesn't each cop car have video? Why doesn't this one? That would at least help.
The justificed action didn't occur in front of the vehicle.   Beyond that, I'm not sure that the officer doesn't have to activate the video cam.   If that's the case, he didn't have time anyway.
11/26/2014 10:22 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/26/2014 10:21:00 AM (view original):
There isn't so that's a moot point.    Now do you understand that the actual evidence did not matter in Ferguson, right?     That there was no other reasonable outcome to the Grand Jury findings than white cop killed unarmed black teenager without justification, right?
Yes. So you're saying "see, it's the same thing as the 1930s" then it's like saying pizza and poison ivy are the same thing, since they're both edible.
11/26/2014 10:24 AM
Posted by burnsy483 on 11/26/2014 10:25:00 AM (view original):
Yes. So you're saying "see, it's the same thing as the 1930s" then it's like saying pizza and poison ivy are the same thing, since they're both edible.
I'm not saying it's the same thing as the 1930s.   I'm saying there is a correlation in that the available evidence didn't matter.    There was only one reasonable outcome to the masses. 
11/26/2014 10:26 AM
At the end of the day, here's what you have:

August:  Demands of justice thru protests and rioting BEFORE the actual evidence was presented.
November:  Demands of justice thru protests and rioting AFTER the actual evidence was presented.

What was the only reasonable outcome to the protesting/rioting masses?
11/26/2014 10:28 AM
Our judicial system doesn't work if you've already decided guilt/innocence. 
11/26/2014 10:29 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/26/2014 10:26:00 AM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 11/26/2014 10:25:00 AM (view original):
I'm not saying it's the same thing as the 1930s.   I'm saying there is a correlation in that the available evidence didn't matter.    There was only one reasonable outcome to the masses. 
Correct. I can't imagine a situation where I'd feel the way people in that community feel, but it would have to be an incredibly ****** way for me to be treated by that PD to jump to that conclusion.  
11/26/2014 10:31 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 11/26/2014 10:29:00 AM (view original):
Our judicial system doesn't work if you've already decided guilt/innocence. 
And our law enforcement system can't work if they decide potential for guilt/innocence based on skin color.  Which is the underlying reason these protests exist.
11/26/2014 10:32 AM
Let's say Wilson was indicted on murder/manslaughter.   Goes to trial.    Line of witnesses are paraded thru the courtroom.   Testimony is, of course, thrown out by any of them that initially stated Wilson shot Brown in the back while he was lying on the ground.   Jury finds Wilson not guilty of all charges.    Do we get protests/riots?
11/26/2014 10:36 AM
◂ Prev 1...58|59|60|61|62...142 Next ▸
Ferguson Police should be outlawed Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.