Bye bye, Ohio State Topic

Posted by stinenavy on 9/7/2014 11:59:00 AM (view original):
I think the playcalling for Ohio State was horrible. VT was bringing 5-7 guys every play and they kept calling for routes that took too much time to develop. They ran one play that was a quick out to a RB that would have been good for at least 15 yards or so (not 40 like the dipshit announcers said), and promptly didn't call another play like that.

Thankfully we are unlikely to get a Big 10 in the 4 team playoff.
Yeah, I agree with the playcalling part.    In the SC/ECU game, Thompson was stinking it up.  Spurrier changed the pass calls.   They must have ran half a dozen bubble screens to get Thompson some confidence.    Even though he's a senior who's seen plenty of playing time, he needed something.   OSU should have done the same for their QB.   He was getting one look and had to decide to pass to that guy or run.   Meyer should be better than that.   Give him a chance to succeed.
9/7/2014 12:30 PM
yeah Big Ten is probably done, but if somebody wins out and there are a bunch of 2 loss teams, I think they might have a shot no matter how unlikely it looks now.  
9/7/2014 2:13 PM
I hope not.

Michigan St didn't look too bad. They were getting quite a bit of pressure from the DL most the game, but Oregon just pummeled them in the 2nd half.
9/7/2014 7:43 PM
Assuming the committee does what is supposedly their directive, pick the 4 best teams at the end of the season not the start, I don't think anything can be ruled out.  Of course, as I've said many times, I don't think they do that.   I think they pick 4 conference winners from the big 5.    And that likely means the B10 is out because they can't get quality wins from their conference.
9/8/2014 10:19 AM
Hard to say Mike.  I mean what if Nebraska goes unbeaten.  I know they struggled last weekend, but they still have Miami in the non-con, go to MSU and go to Wiscy, plus the Big Ten championship.  If they go 13-0 I think it would be hard to keep them out (now granted I do not think they go unbeaten, but what if).  

If Michigan State rebounds and wins out and does so convincingly, I think it would be hard to keep them out because after-all it was a road game and they were winning for much of the game (they did get rushed a bit late, but they were still up 11 in the second half).  I mean even Ohio State can't be ruled out entirely, especially if Virginia Tech is unbeaten when it goes to the ACC Title game.  OSU had a freshman QB that wasn't supposed to play at all this year and he played like it.

Just too early to rule out the conference as a whole, but clearly the conference needs some good fortune to go its way.
9/8/2014 12:00 PM

Miami wouldn't be a quality win.   They lost to Louisville and I don't think they contend in the ACC.

Nonetheless, unbeaten Nebraska would get in over 2-3 loss conference winner.  I don't see Nebraska doing that.  1 loss MSU/OSU is going to struggle to get respect. 

Best case scenario for the B10 is a 3 loss team beats a TAMU/Auburn/USC/UCLA/Stanford in the conference championship.   If they beat a BAMA/FSU, I bet 1 loss BAMA/FSU still gets in.   Not so much with a "2nd tier" SEC/ACC team.

9/8/2014 12:28 PM
Because I am a Petrino fan, I would love to see louisville get in. Nebraska looked horrible in their last game, but it would be good to see them competing again. I didnt realize how bad the big 10 was until I looked at Ohio States schedule. If they were in the SEC they wouldnt even be going to a bowl this year.
9/9/2014 12:21 PM
I guess the death of Ohio State was greatly exaggerated by Mike.
12/15/2014 9:50 AM
Mike exaggerate? Nooooooooooooooooo.
12/15/2014 10:09 AM
Well, a month ago, I'm pretty sure I said I thought OSU would get in if they won the conference.    But way to revive a 3 month old thread to say "SEE??  YOU WERE WRONG!!!!"

Hell, even you, moranis, put a fork in them in this thread.
12/15/2014 12:39 PM
Interesting piece on Cardale Jones in SI.

http://www.si.com/college-football/2014/12/22/cardale-jones-ohio-state-buckeyes

12/23/2014 9:45 AM
Isn't he the guy who said "We ain't come here to play school"?
12/23/2014 9:56 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/23/2014 9:56:00 AM (view original):
Isn't he the guy who said "We ain't come here to play school"?
yep. it is in the article.
12/23/2014 2:24 PM
This thread is going well.
1/13/2015 12:28 AM
◂ Prev 12345
Bye bye, Ohio State Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.