The Washburn-Topeka Ichabods Topic

In a game filled with illogical play-calling, we defeated Stonehill 30-24 (boxscore here). Up six late in the game, we were throwing, and down six with one chance to tie the game, they ran it four consecutive times. I've never been one to have issues with the mechanics of games, but that was really bad. At least we came out on top.

It gets much tougher in the round of 16, as we get Lane.

Team link: HERE
Coach: 2000champou (10th season)
Record: 14-1
WIS/Press/Coaches: #8

This is an absolute D2 powerhouse. The coach has never lost a conference game in 10 seasons, a run that's included two national championships. To put things in perspective, our one loss this year was a 37-33 heartbreaker against Kentucky State. Lane thrashed Kentucky State 45-0 in regular-season play before beating them 33-6 in the SIAC title game.

We have our hands full here. This is a team that does everything well, and they're a real threat to go far in this bracket. We've had a really good season here, and I'd be delighted with a win, but we're absolutely the underdogs in this one.
9/10/2014 2:43 PM
No surprises here, as we fell to Lane 27-9 (boxscore here). This was a heck of a game for three quarters, but they wore us down and scored the last 17 points of the game in the fourth.

I'll be doing some senior retrospective stuff going forward; we've got lots of them graduating, including Roland Stubbs, who swept the national player of the year awards after an awesome season as our running back.
9/11/2014 3:33 PM
It should be noted that Lane wound up winning the national championship.
9/14/2014 4:50 PM
Lots going on in my personal life right now, which meant I couldn't do senior stuff like I usually enjoy doing. Anyhow, we lost 17 seniors, most of whom started last season. Among others, we lost Roland Stubbs, who was pretty much the backbone of everything we did offensively.

It's going to be a busy recruiting period, and chances are we're going to be down this coming season. However, if there's any good news, it's that I am, as of now, in a conference otherwise entirely populated by Sim-coached teams. If ever there was a season where this was a good thing, it's this one. My goal is a winning record, and that may very well be enough to sneak into the conference title game.
9/18/2014 2:01 PM
QB Russell Briggs
School: Arrowhead HS Hometown: Hartland, WI
490 Rating

Athleticism 60  
Speed 38  
Durability 61  
Work Ethic 44  
Stamina 47  
Strength 45  
Blocking 25  
Tackling 18  
Hands 30  
Game Instinct 55  
Elusiveness 30  
Technique 37  

I really like Russell Briggs. He's an athletic, smart quarterback who projects to be very good at the D2 level. I'll probably redshirt him this coming year, but I could potentially see him overtaking last year's QB recruit down the line and starting for several seasons.

Potential: "With your coaching, I think his game has a lot of room to grow."
9/24/2014 12:37 PM
RB Bobby Gonzalez
School: Centennial HS Hometown: Circle Pines, MN
585 Rating

Athleticism 54  
Speed 50  
Durability 57  
Work Ethic 42  
Stamina 72  
Strength 40  
Blocking 40  
Tackling 38  
Hands 50  
Game Instinct 38  
Elusiveness 59  
Technique 45

I needed depth at RB, as we had only two going into the season (one senior I like, one junior I don't like). Bobby Gonzalez isn't a burner, and his rating is inflated due to stamina, but he's a well-rounded back with room to improve.

9/24/2014 12:40 PM
RB Carlos Chavez
School: Starmont HS Hometown: Arlington, IA
482 Rating

Athleticism 43  
Speed 52  
Durability 28  
Work Ethic 43  
Stamina 34  
Strength 45  
Blocking 34  
Tackling 17  
Hands 43  
Game Instinct 58  
Elusiveness 48  
Technique 37

Carlos Chavez is more of a depth signing than anything else. He was cheap (he went green for me right when I scouted him), and it isn't like he's a bad prospect, but I certainly think he'll be behind Gonzalez on the depth chart going forward. Still, depth isn't a bad thing, especially given the multiple-back sets we can run in this game.
Potential: "I think his growth potential is pretty average - nothing special."
9/24/2014 12:43 PM
WR Charles Stephens
School: Pcm HS Hometown: Monroe, IA
548 Rating

Athleticism 52  
Speed 55  
Durability 45  
Work Ethic 41  
Stamina 41  
Strength 36  
Blocking 46  
Tackling 8  
Hands 64  
Game Instinct 44  
Elusiveness 58  
Technique 58

Charles Stephens is a very good wide receiver prospect. He's not a burner, and he won't play much his first year (or two), but I love his hands, his route-running, and the fact that he's a pretty good blocker for a wideout. Assuming he develops his speed a little, he could be a real weapon.

9/24/2014 12:47 PM
WR Dan Casey
School: Abraham Lincoln HS Hometown: Council Bluffs, IA
478 Rating

Athleticism 45  
Speed 52  
Durability 37  
Work Ethic 52  
Stamina 47  
Strength 31  
Blocking 27  
Tackling 8  
Hands 55  
Game Instinct 44  
Elusiveness 33  
Technique 47  

Dan Casey is a bit of a project. He's going to be buried on the depth chart for a while, most likely, and will probably top out as our #2 option his senior season. Again, though, depth is good, and he'll improve a lot from where he's at now (his big work ethic is certainly a plus).

Potential: "He's got the potential to improve his game a lot over 4 years with us."
9/24/2014 12:50 PM
TE Mark Miller
School: Prophetstown HS Hometown: Prophetstown, IL
473 Rating

Athleticism 29  
Speed 42  
Durability 47  
Work Ethic 53  
Stamina 52  
Strength 35  
Blocking 33  
Tackling 12  
Hands 52  
Game Instinct 40  
Elusiveness 42  
Technique 36

Mark Miller is an experiment that could blow up in front of my face. I wanted a receiving TE, and Miller looks strong in that regard. He's got great hands, and his speed isn't bad for a TE. Fortunately, he has room to grow, and once he does, he may even wind up a serviceable blocker. Still, I've never really had a receiving-first TE, so we'll see how this works.

9/24/2014 12:54 PM
OL Henry Lee
School: Hastings HS Hometown: Hastings, MN
523 Rating

Athleticism 44  
Speed 30  
Durability 46  
Work Ethic 56  
Stamina 57  
Strength 80  
Blocking 50  
Tackling 23  
Hands 24  
Game Instinct 45  
Elusiveness 21  
Technique 47

I landed three offensive linemen, and this is one of two that has a chance to be a star down the line. Henry Lee is extremely strong, and the rest of his stats that matter are at OK starting points. I promised him a start as a sophomore, and with two of our five returning offensive linemen from last year being seniors, that won't be an issue.

Potential: "He's got the potential to improve his game a lot over 4 years with us."
9/24/2014 12:57 PM
OL Anthony Marsh
School: Emily Griffith Opportunity Hometown: Denver, CO
521 Rating

Athleticism 31  
Speed 23  
Durability 37  
Work Ethic 65  
Stamina 64  
Strength 67  
Blocking 52  
Tackling 24  
Hands 13  
Game Instinct 37  
Elusiveness 40  
Technique 68  

Anthony Marsh is the second o-lineman I'm really pleased to get. I love his technique rating, and everything else is pretty solid, too.

9/24/2014 1:00 PM
OL Robert Haines
School: New Hampton HS Hometown: New Hampton, IA
473 Rating

Athleticism 29  
Speed 25  
Durability 42  
Work Ethic 37  
Stamina 54  
Strength 49  
Blocking 54  
Tackling 26  
Hands 36  
Game Instinct 50  
Elusiveness 34  
Technique 37  

Robert Haines will likely redshirt. His ratings aren't awful, but they're a cut below his two classmates. He does have good potential, though, and with time, he should develop pretty nicely.

9/24/2014 1:02 PM
DL Robert McCauley
School: Bryan HS Hometown: Omaha, NE
555 Rating

Athleticism 61  
Speed 25  
Durability 30  
Work Ethic 43  
Stamina 48  
Strength 55  
Blocking 34  
Tackling 67  
Hands 38  
Game Instinct 53  
Elusiveness 52  
Technique 49

Robert McCauley is one of two recruits from the same high school, which is kind of cool. Anyway, he's extremely athletic, he's a good tackler, and everything else is at solid levels. He's one of three defensive linemen in this year's class, and he may be the best.

9/24/2014 1:06 PM
DL Stanley Arroyo
School: Crockett HS Hometown: Austin, TX
515 Rating

Athleticism 48  
Speed 41  
Durability 27  
Work Ethic 33  
Stamina 39  
Strength 71  
Blocking 24  
Tackling 59  
Hands 31  
Game Instinct 40  
Elusiveness 58  
Technique 44  

Stanley Arroyo is a physical player. He's a strong kid that can hit, but he's also got pretty good athleticism and great speed for a defensive lineman. I do wish his work ethic was better, especially since the d-line is going to be pretty crowded, but I'm really pleased to have him.

9/24/2014 1:11 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4...8 Next ▸
The Washburn-Topeka Ichabods Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.