Weekly Top 10 Review Topic

Maybe all3 doesn't consider it a blowout if you stay within 40...
12/1/2014 12:05 PM
Posted by all3 on 12/1/2014 10:56:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/1/2014 9:15:00 AM (view original):
Please see previous post. 

My point is simple.   Team X can't be top 5-6 for weeks on end, lose to a top 15 team in a conference championship and disappear.   It didn't happen to Miss St, it won't happen to Bama.   And if anyone thinks the SEC will be excluded from the playoffs, snap out of it.   The SEC will be represented.  Even if Bama loses by 30 someone else will be put in. 
What happened to "Anyway, as long as Bama doesn't get blown out, they're in."? Changing your tune now? Now you think Missouri gets in over those undefeated and 1-loss teams? Of course this whole discussion is hypothetical, but FWIW, almost every other internet article written on the subject over the last couple days disagrees with you. I certainly wouldn't want to be a Committee member if Alabama loses and FSU, Baylor, and the 2 OSUs win. Adding TCU to the mix, I just don't think I could include any 2 loss team, regardless of what their Conference has accomplished in the past.
Did I?   If Bama loses by 30, which I consider "blown out", someone else gets in.  

So WTF are you talking about?
12/1/2014 12:31 PM
Posted by stinenavy on 12/1/2014 11:51:00 AM (view original):
Huh? I don't see how Mike backtracked, I think you're misreading something.

I don't want Baylor in unless everyone loses. I want them to be the posterchild for why you should have to schedule someone worth a damn in non-conference play. Baylor sucked for a long time, so I get why they scheduled nobodies, but if they want to play with the big boys in the playoffs, they need to schedule a big boy or two.
I'm wishing there was some way for FSU to miss out.   I don't want the template to be "Go undefeated, win your Power 5 conference and you're in."    Because, IMO, that means scheduling nobodies in the non-con games.    As I pointed out to moranis, if OSU schedules Akron instead of "challenging" themselves with VaTech, they're in the top 4 right now. 
12/1/2014 12:34 PM
I'm fine with FSU being in. Their performance against a weak ACC doesn't leave any room for error, but they did schedule legit teams for non-con with Notre Dame, OK State, Florida, and also-ran Citadel. So I give them credit for that, albeit those teams all managed have a down season.

I agree with the Ohio St comment. They'd be sitting 3 or 4 easily at this point without the loss and griping about not being 1 or 2 like FSU is griping now. I don't know if there's an easy solution. I would like to see something happen with the non-con where teams play 1 elite, 1 other big 5 school, 1 good non-big 5, and then some dump direction school. I don't know how you get there though, especially with the narrative of "our conference is too tough, so we play garbage schools in non-con" like Alabama does.
12/1/2014 1:22 PM
They'll get there when it expands to 8 teams.   5 power conference champs, 3 at large.    Then you have the Miss St/MSU-types arguing for a spot based on their schedule.   And the conference champ game losers positioning themselves to make a case.    Then who you played will matter(MSU claims they should be in over Miss St because they played Oregon while Miss St loaded up on directionals). 
12/1/2014 1:39 PM
Oregon is 13.5 point favorite
Bama 14.5
FSU  3
TCU  32
WI  4
Baylor isn't on the board yet.   I'm guessing it will stay that way until Petty's status is known.
12/1/2014 3:55 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/1/2014 12:31:00 PM (view original):
Posted by all3 on 12/1/2014 10:56:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/1/2014 9:15:00 AM (view original):
Please see previous post. 

My point is simple.   Team X can't be top 5-6 for weeks on end, lose to a top 15 team in a conference championship and disappear.   It didn't happen to Miss St, it won't happen to Bama.   And if anyone thinks the SEC will be excluded from the playoffs, snap out of it.   The SEC will be represented.  Even if Bama loses by 30 someone else will be put in. 
What happened to "Anyway, as long as Bama doesn't get blown out, they're in."? Changing your tune now? Now you think Missouri gets in over those undefeated and 1-loss teams? Of course this whole discussion is hypothetical, but FWIW, almost every other internet article written on the subject over the last couple days disagrees with you. I certainly wouldn't want to be a Committee member if Alabama loses and FSU, Baylor, and the 2 OSUs win. Adding TCU to the mix, I just don't think I could include any 2 loss team, regardless of what their Conference has accomplished in the past.
Did I?   If Bama loses by 30, which I consider "blown out", someone else gets in.  

So WTF are you talking about?
You mean some other SEC team, since you clearly state "The SEC will be represented.". Which 2-loss SEC team gets in, if all the others win? NONE! That's WTF I'm talking about. Pretty simple.
12/1/2014 4:32 PM
Don't know.   But you've lost your mind if you think that the SEC doesn't get a team in the first playoff. 
12/1/2014 4:38 PM
First playoff poll before they started beating one another:

1 Mississippi State 7-0
2 Florida State 7-0
3 Auburn 6-1
4 Ole Miss 7-1
5 Oregon 7-1
6 Alabama 7-1
12/1/2014 4:45 PM
Sorry, I don't drink the SEC Kool-Aid, which makes you think them beating-up on each other proves how good the entire Conference is. I'm just as inclined to think them beating-up on each other proves how mediocre they all are. You've lost your mind if you think a poll from 4 weeks ago means anything. If it does, maybe Notre Dame still has a shot. The fact you, the biggest SEC-slurper on this site, can't even pick a team and try to make a case for it making the Playoff with 2 losses, tells me there simply isn't one.
12/1/2014 4:59 PM
I don't care what you drink.   A month ago the committee said "4 SEC West teams are among the 6 best in the nation."   Now you expect them to say "Oh, our bad.   After they beat one another, we think FSU, Oregon, Baylor and OSU are better than all 4 of them."    That's just ******* retarded.  
12/1/2014 5:24 PM
but they didn't just beat up each other. 

Since then Auburn lost to A&M and Georgia (and Bama).  Ole Miss lost to LSU and Arkansas (and Auburn). This isn't a case of those 4 teams just beating each other up, Auburn and Ole Miss lost 4 of their 6 games in games not against those teams and only Georgia and LSU were acceptable losses (given they were road games).  Now sure MSU lost to Ole Miss and Bama, I get that, but as you've been saying for weeks Ole Miss isn't very good.  You can't all of a sudden change your tune because you want it to prove a point.  

12/1/2014 6:43 PM
That sounds like a bunch of losses to other SEC teams.   No?
12/1/2014 6:47 PM
Which one of these teams lost a non-con?

SEC - West W-L PF PA W-L PF PA STRK
Alabama 7-1 266 154 11-1 440 203 W7
Mississippi State 6-2 270 180 10-2 446 233 L1
Ole Miss 5-3 202 135 9-3 365 166 W1
Auburn 4-4 275 262 8-4 430 313 L1
LSU 4-4 153 166 8-4 331 197 W1
Texas A&M 3-5 223 293 7-5 413 328 L2
Arkansas 2-6 165 177 6-6 384 243 L1
12/1/2014 6:52 PM
Here, I'll help.   The SEC West was undefeated in non-conference games.    28-0.   
12/1/2014 7:00 PM
◂ Prev 1...37|38|39|40|41...53 Next ▸
Weekly Top 10 Review Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.