How to stop I-formation/RB pass offense Topic

That's another reason to get the Test mode back - it can be really hard to experiment with different plans/formations when you only have 15 or so opportunities a season and most of them count in the standings.
9/22/2014 6:08 PM
Posted by hypnotoad on 9/22/2014 6:08:00 PM (view original):
That's another reason to get the Test mode back - it can be really hard to experiment with different plans/formations when you only have 15 or so opportunities a season and most of them count in the standings.
YES!!
9/22/2014 7:03 PM
Absolutely!
9/23/2014 8:46 PM
there is no glitch. 

If he passes to the rb's only then use a 34.  set to 100% pass. Set all 4 lb's to cover and take your best 2 db's and put them at safety.  If your team is close to equal you will win. If you are out matched then you will probably lose.  Recruit better players and stop complaining.
9/24/2014 11:47 AM
And Heck YES!!!
9/24/2014 11:48 AM
if he rushes and passes with the rb's then use a 44 with the above settings.  Let the engine and its built in "stuffs" take of the rushing.

If he passes to wr's and rb's from the pro or I then also use the 34 but keep your best db's at cb.
9/24/2014 11:51 AM
A couple of good takes on the gameplan:

"Run the 4-4 defense, and set all 4 linebackers to cover. The linebackers are responsible for covering the RBs running pass routes."

"If he passes to the rb's only then use a 34.  set to 100% pass. Set all 4 lb's to cover and take your best 2 db's and put them at safety."

So what do you think is best, a 4-4 or 3-4?

9/24/2014 12:03 PM
For an offense that strictly passes to the RBs, I think I like tigerpark's suggestion of the 3-4 better. Better to have 2 safeties back there than 1. 
9/24/2014 12:40 PM
How does everyone allocate practice time? Do you practice all formations? Seems Formation IQ is very important, so do you think you would be able to have success just switching to a defensive formation you never practiced?
9/24/2014 2:32 PM
I practice three formations on O and D.  I would think your team would be prone to turnovers and penalties using formations that you don't practice.  
9/24/2014 4:06 PM
Posted by bjschumacher on 9/24/2014 12:42:00 PM (view original):
For an offense that strictly passes to the RBs, I think I like tigerpark's suggestion of the 3-4 better. Better to have 2 safeties back there than 1. 
thanks bj. But its not that its better to have 2 safeties back there rather Safteys for whatever reason randomly pick up coverage on the RB's sometimes. If this happens its best to have your better db's playing the safety position so they dont get torched.
9/24/2014 5:06 PM
The problem with this kind of 'chess match' defense is that's it's so inflexible - it's for either half or both; no adjustments made play-by-play or down-by-down like you might see in real life. You might switch up at halftime to see your GD opponent also switch, and you have no recourse.
It would be nice for the defense to have something like a 'Reaction Rating' that involves both GI and Formation IQ, with higher ratings increasing the ability to adjust to the offense's play calling and switch a defense up.

For example, I use this kind of offense a lot, and i'm sure others do as well: QB A is my throwing QB and QB B is my running/freshman QB. Both operate out of the Pro-Set, but when QB A is behind the Center he throws 100% of the time. When QB B is on the field he hands it off 100% of the time. Well any defense *should* be able to pick up on that and adjust, but as it is now every single defense in this game will stay in a Nickel/Pass defense all game long when QB B takes the field (if that's what the defensive playbook calls for, of course). No adjustments or reactions  can take place.

That's just not right.
9/24/2014 8:50 PM (edited)
Posted by hypnotoad on 9/24/2014 8:50:00 PM (view original):
The problem with this kind of 'chess match' defense is that's it's so inflexible - it's for either half or both; no adjustments made play-by-play or down-by-down like you might see in real life. You might switch up at halftime to see your GD opponent also switch, and you have no recourse.
It would be nice for the defense to have something like a 'Reaction Rating' that involves both GI and Formation IQ, with higher ratings increasing the ability to adjust to the offense's play calling and switch a defense up.

For example, I use this kind of offense a lot, and i'm sure others do as well: QB A is my throwing QB and QB B is my running/freshman QB. Both operate out of the Pro-Set, but when QB A is behind the Center he throws 100% of the time. When QB B is on the field he hands it off 100% of the time. Well any defense *should* be able to pick up on that and adjust, but as it is now every single defense in this game will stay in a Nickel/Pass defense all game long when QB B takes the field (if that's what the defensive playbook calls for, of course). No adjustments or reactions  can take place.

That's just not right.
I have suggested something like this before.  I want my high GI LBs and DBs to play close to the line to stop the run...but to be able to react as needed if its a pass play.  If I set them up close, then their speed, GI, etc would come into play regarding their ability to react to what they "see".
9/24/2014 10:09 PM
Hypno, then I would suggest that you just leave and start your own game. Sorry, it's just the mood I'm in right now. But they are not going to make any more big changes to the game for awhile. ******** is not going to solve anything. We are just trying to learn how to work with what we have.
9/24/2014 11:25 PM (edited)
I was always under the impression that GI did help when it comes to defenders adjusting to either the run or pass.    
9/25/2014 12:07 AM
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸
How to stop I-formation/RB pass offense Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.