ODL Record of Champions Topic

Congratulations to sappy on his first ODL championship!
11/10/2020 1:16 PM
Holy S#$$ I won the frickin ODL!! Sweet!!! Crazy run by Bird and the boys!
11/10/2020 1:54 PM
Congratulations to kinoa1! He is now 2 for 2 on winning the ODL! Can he go for the three-peat?
2/4/2021 3:50 PM
I won 42.9% of an ODL. Apparently that's not quite enough.
2/6/2021 4:50 PM
Updated through ODL 79
5/5/2021 8:33 PM
Congratulations to jackedjamie on his first ODL championship!
8/10/2021 2:27 PM
A big thanks to benhoidal for putting together this thread. Brought back a lot of great memories, including Gym Rat (Franchise League), Ultimate Progressive League (every player eligible, starting as a rookie), and the BOWIS tournament. I will fill in a few blanks.

Coley (Jakotay) and I used to help each other with leagues all the time. We had many great discussions over sitemail. He was (and I’m sure still is) a great guy. His facebook page is still active, but he only gets tagged by his wife. He never posts. I saw where we both messed up the league number count. Very sad.

We shared the bowiscommish username because it made it easier to run the BOWIS threads. Coley was going through a rough time in 2011 (job loss, sick kid) so I started the ODL draft thread under bowiscommish so we could get the league going and he could still run the draft when he became available. I think the reason for the long delay before the salary change was that the league had to draft, fill, and start before the change date and we did not think that was feasible. He returned to run one more before becoming just a player and finally leaving the site in 2013.

There was a uproar created by natenoy over changing the draft league alignments from random to a draft. He was one of three players I should have had admin ban for inappropriate comments toward others in the draft forums, but we were really struggling to fill the draft leagues, so I was afraid that the leagues would fold they were kicked out. Myself and sometimes others had to take two teams to fill the league. I remember uvasooner once beat himself in the finals (not sure which draft league).

I was very much opposed to a division draft because I was concerned that, if someone was drafted first or second several times, they would take it as an insult and quit. The draft was to be conducted in the forums. I had several owners threaten to leave if I continued the random divisions. In order to keep the leagues from folding, I decided to step aside. I did continue in a double progressive league until 2014.

I left the site entirely when I had a big blowup with admin about an illegal player in my baseball franchise league. They initially refused to boot the owner until I had to give him a free team and a free team to the person who took over his team after he finally left. My fun meter was at zero and my BS meter was at 100, so it was time to go.

I would check in every few months to see what was happening. Got a great offer on baseball teams back in May so I decided to return. Glad to be back and see some of the old gang.
8/26/2021 12:17 PM (edited)
Who started the ODL?
8/26/2021 4:29 PM
Jakotay
8/26/2021 6:50 PM
This is my best team ever.

-A guy who after 22 seasons averages 37 wins a season.
8/30/2021 4:53 PM
There was an owner named davkarball who ran leagues. It's possible he started the ODL. Just don't remember for sure.
9/3/2021 7:38 PM
may well have been naismith too or tyler
9/3/2021 8:22 PM
I went to archive.org, which has some history of websites from long ago.

Here are links to a couple of ODL threads

April 12th, 2003

WhatIfSports Discussion Forum: Draft League VII, Traditional Values (archive.org)

August 6th, 2003

WhatIfSports Discussion Forum: Draft League VIII Schedule/Results (archive.org)

Looks like TylerDurden was probably the founder.

I joined on the baseball side in 2002 and added basketball in 2003,, so the ODL was going strong before I started.
10/11/2021 12:48 AM
I think Coley (Jakotay) renamed it the ODL when he took over.
10/11/2021 12:43 PM
Congratulations to reeldeal01 on his first ODL championship. I believe reeldeal01 becomes the third ever user to win the ODL on their first try. Dominating finals performance. Congrats!
10/29/2021 10:29 AM
◂ Prev 1...5|6|7|8|9 Next ▸
ODL Record of Champions Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.