Andrew Hawkins Topic

Posted by tecwrg on 12/16/2014 10:30:00 PM (view original):
Unpatriotic? No. But I think they should be respected.
I don't think anyone disagrees.
12/16/2014 10:34 PM
Weren't you the guy who was all about "if a cop asks to see your ID, you don't have to comply" when talking about the dude who got tased in MN?
12/17/2014 7:30 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/16/2014 6:55:00 PM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 12/16/2014 4:58:00 PM (view original):
Yea...no, he didn't NEED to. You don't NEED to explain every thing you're doing, as you're doing it, because if you don't, you're at risk at getting shot.  That's insane talk.

If the cop was uncomfortable with this man's actions, he can say "sir, out of the car, hands up" without shooting him.
I bet, had he said "It's in the car.  Can I get it?", he doesn't get shot.

Seems like a small task to avoid getting shot.

Again, you're counting on the guy with the gun and the authority to do the right thing.     I don't want to know if I'm dealing with a good cop, a bad cop or an incompetent cop.   I just want him to tell me why I'm detained and what I need to do to go on my way. 
I'd like to hold cops to a slightly higher standard than you. People shouldn't have to say "I'm getting my license" when asked to get their license, otherwise they might get shot. If he says "I'm getting my license" and moves as quickly as he does here, and the cop shoots him because he's moving too quickly, and must be getting a gun, is that ok? Is there a situation where a cop shoots an innocent, unarmed person, where the cop acts criminally?
12/17/2014 9:02 AM
Posted by tecwrg on 12/17/2014 7:30:00 AM (view original):
Weren't you the guy who was all about "if a cop asks to see your ID, you don't have to comply" when talking about the dude who got tased in MN?
Yes. You can be respectful and excercise your rights at the same time. There's nothing disrespectful about legally refusing a request.
12/17/2014 9:03 AM
Posted by bad_luck on 12/17/2014 9:03:00 AM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 12/17/2014 7:30:00 AM (view original):
Yes. You can be respectful and excercise your rights at the same time. There's nothing disrespectful about legally refusing a request.
According to MikeTecwrg, this is someone who could be shot, and it wouldn't be a criminal act. "He was getting aggressive! I feared for my life!"
12/17/2014 9:05 AM
Posted by burnsy483 on 12/17/2014 9:04:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 12/16/2014 6:55:00 PM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 12/16/2014 4:58:00 PM (view original):
Yea...no, he didn't NEED to. You don't NEED to explain every thing you're doing, as you're doing it, because if you don't, you're at risk at getting shot.  That's insane talk.

If the cop was uncomfortable with this man's actions, he can say "sir, out of the car, hands up" without shooting him.
I bet, had he said "It's in the car.  Can I get it?", he doesn't get shot.

Seems like a small task to avoid getting shot.

Again, you're counting on the guy with the gun and the authority to do the right thing.     I don't want to know if I'm dealing with a good cop, a bad cop or an incompetent cop.   I just want him to tell me why I'm detained and what I need to do to go on my way. 
I'd like to hold cops to a slightly higher standard than you. People shouldn't have to say "I'm getting my license" when asked to get their license, otherwise they might get shot. If he says "I'm getting my license" and moves as quickly as he does here, and the cop shoots him because he's moving too quickly, and must be getting a gun, is that ok? Is there a situation where a cop shoots an innocent, unarmed person, where the cop acts criminally?
When it gets down to the nitty gritty, you can you trust, 100%, with your safety?

If your answer is anything but "Me", I'm not sure what world you live in.

With that in mind, do you think holding someone else to a higher standard ensures your safety?   Or should you just do what you need to do?
12/17/2014 9:55 AM
If the guy who was shot said, "I'm getting my license" but moved just as quickly as he did, and the cop shot him, would that have been criminal?

Is there a situation where a cop shoots an innocent, unarmed person, where the cops acts criminally?
12/17/2014 10:04 AM
I'm not willing to speculate on how quickly someone says "I'm doing this", then acts and the cop reacts.    I'm saying tell the cop what you're doing if you/your hands will be out of his sightline and wait til he acknowledges it.    Pretty simple.

Of course there is.

Now, ultimately, who is responsible for your safety. 
12/17/2014 10:15 AM
The fact that you are responsible for your safety doesn't absolve others when they act negligently and injure you. They can still be held criminally responsible.
12/17/2014 10:18 AM
So the answer is possibly yes, it would have been ok if he were shot. He should wait for the cop to acknowledge "I'm going to get my license" with an "ok" or a "yes, moron, that's what I told you to do" or something first. That sounds insane, but ok.

I'm responsible for my own safety. That said, if someone hurts me, and I don't deserve it, that person should probably stand trial and possibly go to jail.  Getting my license when asked to get my license is not deserving of getting shot.  There is no way this guy thought for one second that he was doing something dangerous when he did that.

Also, it should go without saying that the job of a police officer is to protect the public and keep order. When he does the exact opposite, suggesting that it might be criminal isn't unreasonable.

12/17/2014 10:25 AM (edited)
Posted by bad_luck on 12/17/2014 10:18:00 AM (view original):
The fact that you are responsible for your safety doesn't absolve others when they act negligently and injure you. They can still be held criminally responsible.
I would prefer not getting shot at all over wrongfully getting shot.  I'm going to do what I think is best to avoid getting shot.

But maybe that's just me.

12/17/2014 11:21 AM
Posted by burnsy483 on 12/17/2014 10:25:00 AM (view original):
So the answer is possibly yes, it would have been ok if he were shot. He should wait for the cop to acknowledge "I'm going to get my license" with an "ok" or a "yes, moron, that's what I told you to do" or something first. That sounds insane, but ok.

I'm responsible for my own safety. That said, if someone hurts me, and I don't deserve it, that person should probably stand trial and possibly go to jail.  Getting my license when asked to get my license is not deserving of getting shot.  There is no way this guy thought for one second that he was doing something dangerous when he did that.

Also, it should go without saying that the job of a police officer is to protect the public and keep order. When he does the exact opposite, suggesting that it might be criminal isn't unreasonable.

The tamir rice shooting would have been a criminal act had Tamir not been toting around a gun (real or fake). I.e. the cop car pulls up and the officer jumps out and shoots an unarmed kid for just walking in the park. But that is not what happened.

The Eric garner case would have been a criminal act had the cop used that chokehold on a guy 'willfully' getting cuffed. I.e. he was putting his hands behind his back and cooperating with the police when the choke out occurred. Instead Garner resisted arrest and the cop acted legally according to the law.

The Michael Brown case would have been a criminal act had Wilson drove by, pulled out his gun, and shot an unarmed kid for simply walking down the middle of the street. Unfortunately for Brown once he punches a cop the cop can use deadly force and legally kill him.
12/17/2014 11:26 AM (edited)
Posted by moy23 on 12/17/2014 11:26:00 AM (view original):
Posted by burnsy483 on 12/17/2014 10:25:00 AM (view original):

The tamir rice shooting would have been a criminal act had Tamir not been toting around a gun (real or fake). I.e. the cop car pulls up and the officer jumps out and shoots an unarmed kid for just walking in the park. But that is not what happened.

The Eric garner case would have been a criminal act had the cop used that chokehold on a guy 'willfully' getting cuffed. I.e. he was putting his hands behind his back and cooperating with the police when the choke out occurred. Instead Garner resisted arrest and the cop acted legally according to the law.

The Michael Brown case would have been a criminal act had Wilson drove by, pulled out his gun, and shot an unarmed kid for simply walking down the middle of the street. Unfortunately for Brown once he punches a cop the cop can use deadly force and legally kill him.
There's a lot here I could say, but I'm not talking about any of these cases. I agree that Rice and Brown were not criminal acts.
12/17/2014 11:32 AM
Posted by tecwrg on 12/17/2014 11:21:00 AM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 12/17/2014 10:18:00 AM (view original):
I would prefer not getting shot at all over wrongfully getting shot.  I'm going to do what I think is best to avoid getting shot.

But maybe that's just me.

When a cop pulls you over, I can picture you mumbling to yourself "dont get shot dont get shot dont get shot dont get shot" while thinking "dont move too fast dont move too fast" and "explain exactly what youre doing explain exactly what youre doing" "dont get shot dont get shot"

There is no reason why this man should have considered the possibility that he may get shot by this officer. He was doing what he was told to do. There is no reason why the officer should have thought he was doing anything else aside from that.
12/17/2014 11:35 AM
Good Read - Dangerous job.

A Cop Is Killed Every 58 Hours
http://www.nationalreview.com/article/385458/cop-killed-every-58-hours-michelle-malkin
12/17/2014 11:47 AM
◂ Prev 1...4|5|6|7|8...26 Next ▸
Andrew Hawkins Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.