Replay baseball history with WIS? Topic

One thing we will need to come to terms with: how strict to history do we keep to, or do we do this with twists and gadgets? Are we purists in approach, or do we reinvent the wheel?

In the past I've run progressives that had free agent player pools to supplement the actual franchises that were fairly intact. I think Nathan Lane referred to this in The Birdcage as a hint of color...
12/17/2015 7:59 PM
Posted by toddcommish on 2/6/2015 5:20:00 PM (view original):
Honestly, I think that WIS should sponsor this league for owners who are willing to commit to the duration (100+ seasons).  After all, it would be a GREAT publicity tool, along with a way to keep users around for a long long long time.  Remember, it would only be ONE league going at a time, albeit continually.  It's not like the owners that are willing to commit would only play THIS league, so they're almost guaranteeing a steady revenue flow.  

To combat the restless owner syndrome, maybe have a franchise draft each year (since trades would be verboten) with the top picks going to the people who get the most wins over historical wins.
This game is not the top banana that it used to be. We will not get a serious update for awhile. We aren't a priority. Discounts aint gonna happen...
12/17/2015 8:14 PM
I did a tournament with "real rosters" a number of years ago.  The hardest part was how to deal with teams that don't have enough PA or IP due to having a large number of players with fewer than 50 PA or 25 IP (i.e., not sim-eligible.  You need to have a good plan for this, otherwise fatigue will kill these teams and skew results.
12/18/2015 9:13 AM
You could probably come up with an equivalent 50 ab or 25ip guy and add them as manual AAA. Maybe anyone over 40ab/15ip is eligible to be substituted.

I do think contrarian said he'd allow manually drafted AAA for actual guys

So like the 07 Yankees would replace Joba (24ip 0.75whip not in the sim) with 93 Mark Dewey (26.2ip 0.90 whip and in the sim)
12/18/2015 10:04 AM
I think this is similar to what I did in the tournament I ran years ago.  Also, there definitely would have to be AAA (using real players) for some teams.  Many modern teams have way more than 25 sim-eligible players and without adding real-life low-IP and low-PA players to the AAA, teams wouldn't have any IP and PA to compete without fatigue issues.
12/18/2015 12:58 PM
This sounds pretty interesting. Great idea. I don't join progressive type leagues but this is quite different seeing it's following the real history of baseball. Ok...let's get the boxscores out and use all the lineups of each game too!!!! Kidding. Let me know if you decide to run the league and if you need players I'd be interested. At some point, when expansion hits you will need more participants. I'd be willing to come in at that time if you already have enough teams for the initial seasons...kind of makes Sim sense since I didn't start playing until around 2011....most of you on this thread have been playing long before that. Contrarian--you come up with great ideas. Much appreciated.
1/11/2016 9:28 AM
I think this Karma-based baseball league design. I like it.

Like being Bill Murray at the end of "Groundhog Day" - learned what you needed to, now you break the endless cycle of rebirth with a losing team.
3/28/2016 7:06 AM
Posted by toddcommish on 2/6/2015 5:20:00 PM (view original):
Honestly, I think that WIS should sponsor this league for owners who are willing to commit to the duration (100+ seasons).  After all, it would be a GREAT publicity tool, along with a way to keep users around for a long long long time.  Remember, it would only be ONE league going at a time, albeit continually.  It's not like the owners that are willing to commit would only play THIS league, so they're almost guaranteeing a steady revenue flow.  

To combat the restless owner syndrome, maybe have a franchise draft each year (since trades would be verboten) with the top picks going to the people who get the most wins over historical wins.
I also was also thinking it would be wise for WhatIfSports to run this for publicity, marketing.

Someone earlier reposted this comment. They believed administration wasn't likely to assist with this historical project.

If I was making decisions for WhatIfSports Simulations Marketing, I would concurrently run complete seasons with @ fifteen Leagues 1901, 1911,1921 through 1991, 2001, 2011, 2021 the following year 1902, 1912, 1922 through 1992, 2002, 2012, year after year over up to ten years in real life.

The results could be presented like " This Day in Baseball History " vs " Today Making WhatIfSports Simulations History ". One could highlight big name stars, ( Imagine managing the 1941 Boston Red Sox putting Ted Williams out there day after day), brand new baseball standings, brand new season leaders.

Pointing out one could relive baseball history or Create New Baseball History as a Team Owner.

Also ask potential customers, could you take the 1964 Phillies to a World Series. Could you take the 1969 Chicago Cubs past the Amazing 1969 New York Mets.etc.

This could be offered as content for all forms of baseball media. I'm sure this could be improved by this community.

Got here today searching for contrarian23 generated threads.

10/17/2021 8:35 PM
If anyone decided to do this starting with a 1950 era I would join in a heartbeat
10/17/2021 10:41 PM
◂ Prev 123
Replay baseball history with WIS? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.