D1AA Blog Season 108 Topic

haha the caller at the end put a smile on my face at work. I wonder if can pw lock the radio station and just give us all the code to access it.
2/11/2015 11:46 AM (edited)
Yeah, sorry about that. Whenever I see a caller on the screen, I get my hopes up that a user actually called into the show. At the very least, it's interesting that people not associated with our game are finding the show and calling in. 
2/11/2015 11:04 AM
It doesn't bother me one bit. One of these days when I don't have to work when a show is going on. I'll call in
2/11/2015 11:47 AM
Posted by cturk on 2/11/2015 11:47:00 AM (view original):
It doesn't bother me one bit. One of these days when I don't have to work when a show is going on. I'll call in
That's what I was thinking, when I can watch the show live either something comes up and the show is a different day/time or I have to work, or I can watch it and I cant get the live show on my phone
2/11/2015 12:06 PM
Interesting. 

Just so you all know, in about a month, I will be moving the show to the evening. Waiting on a couple of things with work to clear up and then we'll be looking at an 8PM EST broadcast. 
2/11/2015 12:41 PM
I heard you bring up my schedule on the show CJ and then forgot to comment on it lol, the only reason that I lightened up on my schedule is because I knew that I would be busy moving into this new old house at the beginning of this season.

I generally schedule 3 or more human coaches for non conference, if I'm building a team I look for coaches that are about on par with me and if my team is established I'll play pretty much anyone. In fact I have only rarely turned down an invite under any circumstances and then only with good reason for the benefit of the team or because of a previous verbal commitment to a friend. With JSU I know that there are some coaches who relish the opportunity to take me down and others who would rather not play me until their team is stronger, so I generally hold back and let other coaches send me invites until late in the season. If I am at an established school like JSU my goal in scheduling is to make it into the playoffs with a #1 or #2 seed. If I am just using a team to move up or if I'm trying to establish recruiting vision then I schedule very lite and just shoot for getting wins.

2/11/2015 3:46 PM
Bracketology has been updated. Bowlology will be updated later today
2/12/2015 8:35 AM
Just a reminder; no show today. Show will be tomorrow at 3:00PM EST
2/12/2015 1:57 PM
I try to only schedule games that I think I have a good shot to win.  Here is another coach who shares that philosophy on game result: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5-iJUuPWis
2/12/2015 11:41 PM
3PM EST: www.blogtalkradio.com/cjsweat/2015/02/13/0213-show

I
 will also be taking your calls at 3:15. 
2/13/2015 2:40 PM
Posted by hitman1979 on 2/12/2015 11:41:00 PM (view original):
I try to only schedule games that I think I have a good shot to win.  Here is another coach who shares that philosophy on game result: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5-iJUuPWis
After my recruiting vision is up where it needs to be and I have good recruits in place I believe that I have a good shot of beating anyone, it's just that some games are less likely to win than others . I'm not here to win every game though, you either have to be one bad hombre (which I'm not), in a position where there is no competition, or just be plain lucky as heck to do that. So I don't worry about winning every game, I concentrate on building my team and then giving them the best chance of getting in the playoffs and winning a championship. It is a slight advantage to have a #1 or a #2 seed going into the playoffs and I know that it will not kill my chances of winning a championship if I lose as many as 3 and sometimes 4 games against top 10 teams. My first National Championship was a complete surprise with a 2 loss team, since then I have won several others with teams that were obviously not better than everyone else, everything just went my way
2/13/2015 2:42 PM
Saturday's Wiscast: 

If you would like to watch some exciting games, check out the blog for the WISCAST. If you view these prior to seeing the scoreboard, you will prevent spoilers. 

wesprn.com
2/14/2015 11:59 AM
Posted by pete_61 on 2/13/2015 2:42:00 PM (view original):
Posted by hitman1979 on 2/12/2015 11:41:00 PM (view original):
After my recruiting vision is up where it needs to be and I have good recruits in place I believe that I have a good shot of beating anyone, it's just that some games are less likely to win than others . I'm not here to win every game though, you either have to be one bad hombre (which I'm not), in a position where there is no competition, or just be plain lucky as heck to do that. So I don't worry about winning every game, I concentrate on building my team and then giving them the best chance of getting in the playoffs and winning a championship. It is a slight advantage to have a #1 or a #2 seed going into the playoffs and I know that it will not kill my chances of winning a championship if I lose as many as 3 and sometimes 4 games against top 10 teams. My first National Championship was a complete surprise with a 2 loss team, since then I have won several others with teams that were obviously not better than everyone else, everything just went my way
Pete, to be honest, I was shocked at your OOC schedule this year, but now it makes perfect sense.  I wasn't judging, because your team is a perrenial power, no matter where WIS ranks you.  But I know for a fact you always schedule OOC pretty tough, so I thought something must be up.  On top of all that, D1AA seems to have gotten VERY deep.  That helps some teams, but also creates more parity.  I'm excited to see where we all are 2-3 seasons from now.  I love our battles.  They are hardly ever blowouts and I was disappointed not to get you in conference this season.  Your team should stomp me this year, much like Morehead St did, but I've finally figured out a recruiting approach and am putting you on superficial notice for 2 seasons from now.  My team is just too young this season.  

I'm not on the COY committee, but so far this season, I'm putting COY candidates as follows:
a) Cebrake - Morehead St.  - He's crushing high quality teams.  I'm somewhat reluctant to give him the final nod, because he took over a high quality roster, plus he's won an incredible # of 'Ships.
b) Robbyp - Holy Cross - Tough OOC schedule and is just dominating.  My #2 for COY right now.
c) Hitman1979 - Southern Illinois - Great season thus far.  So far my favorite for the award.
d) Gdplayer - Duquesne - Beat Tenn Tech, but hasn't played much else OOC.
e) Buck18 - UMass - Played nobody OOC.  
f) Theyucks - Texas St - Played nobody OOC.
g) Coastal Carolina - Bomber085 - Played nobody OOC, but cannot penalize as coach didn't setup OOC.  Still has some really touch Conference games ahead to determine how good this team really is.
2/15/2015 2:09 PM
Hey CJ - great show!  I look forward to listening to them!

You posed the question - why schedule light?  Why schedule cupcakes to pad your record?

I think the only time and circumstance where that makes sense is if you take over a bad team and you need to raise your vision (D1A excluded).  When I picked up Southeastern Louisiana, they were a longtime SIM team and I knew I had to string together 2 or 3 10+ win seasons to boost my vision.  I won 9 games that first season (was still losing to the occasional SIM) and 12 last season.  I should be able to at least equal that 12-win season this season, which puts in at a point where I can compete with most coaches for the top recruits.

But that's it... I agree with you, there is no reason to pad the schedule once your vision is good.  Hence OOC games with Jacksonville, Yale, Wofford, and NAU next season.  And the Gateway is rising.  Once huskerfan58 gets Western Kentucky to be a solid program (which no doubt he will) there will be 4 tough teams in that conference.  And we could use a couple more...

2/15/2015 2:43 PM
OP, thanks for the vote of confidence, but I'm not sure we'll hold up.  We played just barely well enough to win against E. Illinois, SEMO, and ETSU, but so far we have found a way!  If we can somehow get by W. Kentucky, the Gateway CCG is going to be a real test.

As for me, I couldn't go against robby.  He's really doing a great job.
2/15/2015 2:58 PM
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸
D1AA Blog Season 108 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.