ODL 51 Evaluations Topic

Atlantic

robocoach: Elton Brand, Horace Grant, Kevin Love, Kawhi Leonard, Kyle Lowry, Danny Green, Nazr Mohmmed
Both Brand and Grant are very good, but I am a bit confused. They are both usually used as small forwards and in my opinion should only be used there in this league. They give you a lot of boards, good defense and are efficient at the SF, but at the power they aren't quite the boarders. Love adds a supreme boarder who isn't that efficient and Leonard adds very efficient low usage player, but I think I would rather have Wilt then all four of these players combined. 

Leonard is a very useful role player who does a lot of great things including that 96D. Lowry is a very good rebounder for a point guard with good assist numbers, but is only an average shooter for those 4 usage points and plays only average D. He is a solid fifth round choice. Looking at your starting lineup, I think you are very solid. The one big thing is that despite having 3 guys with 4 usage points, not one of them has an efg% of 54. That's not as efficient as I would like. Also, you have been raving about your 3-point shooting, but you don't have a single above average 3 point shooter so I am a little confused (Maybe not technically correct, but I like my gunners to hit at least 40% and you don't have anyone even at 38%). Those are my only complaints so far. With some good role players to fill up your roster, you could definitely compete.

Overall: You drafted more minutes then you need. You should never have more than 19,500. Anything more than that is wasting salary on other things you will need. You're a little low on efficiency from your starters, although your backups make up for that pretty well. You have extremely good rebounding numbers. Your assists (both percentage wise and total) are pretty low, although I love how few turnovers you have. Your defense isn't awful, despite what your team name suggests. While not suburb across the board, it is definitely sufficient. You should compete for a playoff spot, although after picking you to win your division last year (my one truly bad prediction) I am a little cautious. 

scudmissle: Charles Barkely, Manu Ginobili, Deron Williams, Emeka Okafor, Dale Davis, Charles Oakley, J.R. Smith
Barkley and Ginobili give scudmissle 6point usage guys who can score the rock while passing and rebounding well for there positions. Deron is an underrated point guard in this league who can do everything. This is an interesting threesome for a couple reasons: 1. You already have 16 usage points. That's expensive! If you can good good bargain buys later this could be really dangerous, but be careful about grabbing anyone else with usage. 2. After 3 picks, this is the worst defensive team. With two decent defenders and one average/slightly below average defender, you have some work to do. I actually really like this threesome, but you are going to have to nail your next couple of picks. 

Okafor has a few pretty good complimentary seasons to choose from with decent efg%, good rebounding and decent defense. Davis is very similar to Okafor except an even better defender. I still think you are a little weak defensively, but there is a good foundation here.

Overall:
You drafted more minutes than you are going to use, although I love how efficient those minutes are going to be. Great bulk totals across the board with the slight exception of turnovers. Advanced numbers look great too! Your defense leaves a lot to be desired, but the offense will be great.

dh555: David Robinson, Chauncey Billups, Andre Drummond, Walt Frazier, Kenneth Faried, Jon Barry, Brandon Wright
I have newfound respect for the SIM DRob after he dominated me in the finals and scored the last 4 points for theyard2 to close me out. Not many 100D guys give you so much offensive game as well. Adding Chauncey (a very underrated SIM point guard) and Drummond (a monster down low) give dh555 a very scary first 3.

Clyde brings 90 D to the table along with good assists and rebounding and decent shooting. He would need slightly better shooting and passing to go higher, but for a fourth round point guard there aren't many better. Faried having 100% at the small forward is ridiculous in real life, but it sure makes for a fun SIM player! 21.5 dreb% and 15.5 oreb% along with 58.6 efg% makes for a beast! With 3 of your starters with under 10 ast% one would think you would be struggling with passing, but drafting two point guards helps to remedy that. I really like this first five.

Overall: 19,156 minutes. Yikes! You are going to battle fatigue all season. Your bulk numbers look pretty good, as do your advanced numbers, and your defense is exceptional. However, that fatigue has me really worried. With 200 extra minutes you probably would have been my pick to win the division. 

copernicus: Shaquille O'Neal, Donyell Marshall, Jerry Lucas, Mark Price, Gerald Wallace, Maurice Harkless, Cory Alexander
Shaq, with over 30 usage and high efg% is a scoring machine who can play D, get some boards and pass a little. Marshall and Lucas went #25 and #26 last season so getting them 42nd and 55th is huge! I am not a big fan of Marshall in the SIM, but getting Lucas in the 50's in unreal. Huge steal. 

Price gives you a much needed passes who can shoot the ball, and Wallace gives you an absolute stud defender who can put the rock in the hole. I like the fit here for both players.

Overall: Slightly weak passing team, but everything else is superb. Copernicus will be tough.

tarheel1991: Jason Kidd, Kevin Garnett, James Harden, Robert Parish, James Worthy, Sean May, Otis Smith
I love Kidd in the SIM. There aren't too many players who can give you as much as him for less than 7 mil. In fact, I don't think there are any. Garnett does everything. Unfortunately doing everything in this case includes missing a ton of shots (Edit: Apparently tarheel1991 is using a Garnett who is inferior in every other category to gain the 2.1% extra efg%. I guess we will see if this works out). Hopefully Kidd gives him an efg% boost. Harden is now one of only 9 players to have won multiple championships in the past 11 years. He gives you a good scorer who does a bunch of other things well.

Parish provides exactly what this team needs: good efg%, good rebounding and decent defense upfront. Worthy can put the ball in the hoop and is at least okay at everything. That's hard to find in the fifth round!

Overall:
Exceptional starters, weak bench. Your two highest usage% players shoot under 53% efg and that troubles me, but otherwise things look good!

benhoidal: Wilt Chamberlain, Tim Duncan, Brent Barry, Maurice Cheeks, Mike Miller, Fred Hoiberg, Boris Diaw
Wilt gives you absolutely everything and pairing him with a high usage big who shoots over 54 efg% and does a bit of everything on top of it gives me a great duo. LeBron and Rodman is slightly better than Wilt and Timmy, but with much better picks left I might be ahead after the first round. I have a long way to go of course.

Brent Barry is a perfect fit here. With his low usage%, very high efg%, lots of threes decent defense, decent rebounding, and good passing he does a little bit of everything for me. Cheeks isn't the best shooter, but he makes up for it in lots of ways and that 93 defense is much needed in my backcourt. Miller certainly spreads the floor offensively and adds extremely good passing and rebounding percentages. Unfortunately that sub 40 D makes him a borderline starter. The rest of the defense here helps out a lot, but this won't be a top defense. I might just lead the league in scoring for the third straight season though!

Overall:
This team will turn the ball over too much and I will have trouble rebounding when Duncan sits, but you guys are going to have your hands full with this Wilt team!

2/15/2015 11:42 PM (edited)
Central

iccoachb: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Andrei Kirilenko, Gary Payton, Kyle Korver, Troy Murphy, Brandon Rush, Shane Battier
Kereem at one was a stretch, but he can absolutely lead you to a title. Gary does a bit of everything, but he is one of those high usage/ low efg% guys. Jcred drafted these two in the first round last season and they led him to a playoff birth. You managed to get Payton in the third and slip in Kirilenko in there! Andrei is a swiss army knife of stats plus he gives you 100 D!

Kyle Korver is an underrated role player in this league and he gives you some much needed threes. Murphy adds to that along with giving you 30+ dreb% Neither player gives you much defense, but with three already good defenders, I like the fit.

Overall: 20,203 minutes! You won't use anywhere near that many and that's salary you could have used elsewhere! You still don't manage nearly enough assists (although your low turnovers are super nice!), and you aren't as efficient as I would like. You are using the wrong Kareem, and every time he sits you will be in the usage penalty. On a positive note, you have three 90+ defenders in your starting line-up.

cjok1051: LeBron James, Dennis Rodman, Chris Mullin, Carlos Boozer, Mark Eaton, Reggie Miller, Manute Bol
This is obviously a great first two, but I think you gave away too much to get this combo. If you can grab great bargains later this will be a great trade for you, but only time will tell.

Mullin can absolutely be a great bargain. He does everything well and a couple things really well. You need to nail your last four picks.

Overall: Your bulk numbers look great, and your advanced numbers look pretty good too. The end of your bench is pretty weak, and your assist percentages are relatively low, but you will be fighting for a playoff spot.

carbonjones: Michael Jordan, Dikembe Mutombo, Steve Nash, Pau Gasol, Andre Iguodala, Arvydas Sabonis, Toni Kukoc
Michael Jordan may be the best basketball player ever, but when it comes to the SIM he will have to settle for somewhere between 4 and 10. 8 usage points with 55% efg is great and he adds great defense, great rebounding for a guard and good passing. Mutombo adds a 100 defender who blocks a ton of shots, rebounds alright and is efficient on offense. I love Steve Nash in the SIM and with two 90+ defenders already, I think Nash is a great fit on this team. Right now, I am really liking this first three. 

Pau has a number of very good seasons in the SIM, both as a semi-star and as a overqualified role player. Iguodala's 2014 season is a work of art. He is a good low usage scorer who can rebound, pass, and play 90D. What more do you want from a fifth rounder. So far this team looks pretty dang expensive, but should easily be considered one of the favorites.

Overall:
A little low on minutes, but I love everything else! If you can manage your minutes well enough to get a bye, you are going to be an extremely tough out come playoff time.

jcred5: Artis Gilmore, Shawn Marion, Derek Harper, Dirk Nowitzki, Brent Price, Steve Blake, Lee Mayberry
Artis is a top 20 player. Shawn Marion is a reigning champion as a second rounder and while he always goes higher than I would take him, his teams always succeed. Harper is a decent role player who doesn't make mistakes, but I don't think he does enough positives to warrant a third round pick.

There aren't many people who can score the ball like Dirk left in the fourth round. Sure, he doesn't play the best D and his rebounding leaves something to be desired for a fourth round big, but if you need a scorer at this point in the draft Dirk fits perfectly. Price doesn't play any D either which is a bit scary, but he is another offensive dynamo. This team looks to have a pretty good balance so far, but you might need to grab a rebounder in the next round.

Overall:
All of your numbers look really good, but I have some concerns: 1. You will be in the usage% penalty for stretches in every single game. 2. Your highest usage% guy shoots under 53% efg. You might have enough firepower to make the playoffs, but I am a bit skeptical. 

seapilots: Steph Curry, Kevin McHale, Tom Boerwinkle, Clifford Ray, Al Horford, John Henson, Elgin Baylor
I think the Curry pick was too early, but just like slymonium from last year I think you have surrounded him with great options. Both McHale and Boerwinkle are very unique in the SIM in what they bring. There is still plenty of work here, but I like the first three.

Clifford Ray is always one of the biggest bargains in the SIM and Horford's stock has been on the rise the last few years. This team is very similar to slymonium's first five picks from last year on his 53 win, team that was tied for the most wins. Curry, Ray, and Horford are all back with McHale, and Boerwinkle instead of Ginobili and Webber. Which five-some is better? I think this one by a hair. If seapilots can fill out the rest of the roster as well as he usually does the rest of the league better watch out! 

Overall:
Some of those bulk numbers are breathtaking. 5134 overall rebounds??? Holy cow! The advanced numbers back that sentiment up. I am a little skeptical of Elgin Baylor, and the overall defense, but overall I am pretty impressed.

uptownbv: Hakeem Olajuwon, DeAndre Jordan, Bobby Jones, Kobe Bryant, Marc Jackson, Andre Miller, Chris Anderson
This is a very expensive front four, but look at that defense! I usually hate Hakeem and Kobe in the ODL, but tentatively I kind of like your first four. Kobe in the fourth is at least a good place for him and all four of these guys together look pretty good.

Jackson adds a ton of ast% at this point in the draft and is a good rebounder, but he can't shoot or play D a lick. Andre Miller is much the same but with a little better defense. And his usage% is a little high for his low efg%.

Overall: Bad news: Too many minutes, not enough threes, too many turnovers, terrible efficiency. Good news: Very good defense and rebounding.

2/15/2015 11:39 PM (edited)
Midwest

jhsukow: Kevin Durant, Joakim Noah, Rajon Rondo, Jose Calderon, Muggsy Bogues, Grant Hill, Jalen Rose
Durant is a SIM stud. 8 usage points and 56% efg? Yes please! I have yet to see anyone play him at SG which is where I think I would play him at. Joakim does a lot of great things, but isn't as efficient as I would like to warrant a second round pick. I love Rondo, but I think you took him a little high. This team has great passing and can do some good things, but there are still some big holes.

I love Calderon in the Sim, but with Bogues making a third drafted point guard it is pretty clear Durant will be playing small forward. I am a little disappointed, but it's probably for the best. This looks to be a huge ast% team which I like, but make sure you get the boards you need with your last two picks.

Both Grant Hill and Jalen Rose have their merits (most notably their ast%), but you now only have one player with 100% at C and it is pretty clear you plan to use Durant at PF. I think this is a mistake. Also you have mentioned in the commentary that you plan to start Grant Hill and his 95% at center. I get that you want the huge ast% lineup and I am a huge fan of those, but in this league at this cap it is suicide. In an open league with every player at your disposal it can be a very good strategy, but in the ODL you are sacrificing so much. Plus you are playing everyone out of position.

Overall: Holy assists! 4369 assists along with incredible ast% should boost up that efg%. Good thing because you are going to need it! Way too many minutes, not nearly efficient enough (although the assists should remedy that), way too many turnovers and the worst rebounding team in the league (by far) leave me unconvinced this team will make the playoffs. Hopefully this unconventional team proves me wrong!

mikee1: Patrick Ewing, Mookie Blaylock, Terry Porter, Tyson Chandler, Amare Stoudemire, Jameer Nelson, Reggie Evans
I loved your trade and thought you had a huge opportunity to pick up some major assets. However, apart from Chandler, I think you could have done better. It's not that I don't like your first three players. I actually think all three have some pretty good seasons, but I think there were better players on the board at all three slots. I still think you came ahead in your trade.

Amare is great in the ODL and I think he is a great pick for you here. High usage%, high efg% guys are hard to find this late. Jameer has a very good partial minute season and is an excellent backup point. Evans might have been a reach, but he does certain things well. However this probably means yo are playing Amare at the SF? This means you won't be using his best season, but there is still a good 99% SF season that he is pretty good in. I think this wastes Amare's potential but it also increases his rebounding. 3's are going to be a problem for you.

Overall:
I am pretty perplexed by some of the seasons you chose, but most of your numbers look pretty good. Your deep bench is really weak and you don't have too many assists. 

banditone: Bill Russell, Tracy McGrady, Dana Barros, Marques Johnson, Connie Hawkins, Chris Webber, Chris Gatling, 
Russell brings a ton to the table, but I don't think I would ever draft someone with 43% efg in the first round. T-Mac is not a top 25 player in the ODL. He is one of those high usage%/ low efg% guys who I always think go way to early, but seem to do just fine. However, this time he definitely went way too early. That being said, he isn't even close to being the biggest reach on this team. Dana Barros in the third round??? He hasn't been drafted in this league for a few years and is hardly ever drafted. You could have gotten him way later if you wanted to. You have a lot of work to do, and even with all the right picks from here on out, I think you are in trouble.

Marques Johnson, and The Hawk are both high usage% guys with decent to good efg%. Niether one is a great rebounder though which confuses me. You already had one super high usage% guy and were badly needing rebounders. Hopefully your last two picks are low usage% guys with great rebounding.

Overall:
Too many minutes and not very efficient, plus I am a little confused at some of the player season selections.

jt7king: Larry Bird, Oscar Robertson, Marcus Camby, Ryan anderson, Omer Asik, Oliver Miller, Vladimir Radmonovic
It is a huge debate as to which SF to take first, Larry Legend, or Kevin Durant. I have Bird slightly ahead. I am hoping you play him at SG as I really want to see the results there. Oscar fell to the third round last season, but you snagged him about where he normally goes. I'm not a huge fan, but he does some very good things. Camby usually goes later than he did, and I think you got a steal. He is well worth trading up a bit for at that point. However, I think you might have given away more than you had to and it might cost you.

Overall:
Great bulk numbers, especially the rebounding, and pretty good advanced numbers. The low ast% and the weak end of the bench will hurt though.

eleibowitz: Chris Paul, Alonzo Mourning, Serge Ibaka, Larry Sanders, Andrew Bogut, Nic Batum, Jeff Ruland
Three 90+ defenders and two players with 55+ efg surrounding CP3? Everyone better watch out! Still need to address rebounding as Mourning is just barely sufficient as a boarder. 

LARRY SANDERS! adds another 90+ defender. How is anyone going to score? Bogut can board up, play good D, and is efficient. You still need another good guard and probably lots of threes, but those are exactly the kind of bargains that are available in the 6th round!

Overall:
A little low on threes for my liking and not as efficient offensively as I would have liked, but eleibowitz should walk away with this division pretty handily. Look at that defense! This is a good team.

hoopsdude: Dwight Howard, Anthony Davis, Clyde Drexler, Swen Nater, Carmelo Anthony, Earl Watson, Johnny Moore
Howard is a machine. He will put up lots of points and boards while playing great defense. I don't understand why Anthony Davis keeps going in the second round. I am not sure I would take him in the first four rounds. Drexler has a few good seasons, but I am very concerned over the high usage all three players have, especially with only one of them being efficient.

Nater gives you 55+ efg% and 30+ dreb%. That's a lot of good things! It's too bad he doesn't play D. Carmelo Anthony gives you a fourth high usage% guy and a third high usage% guy who isn't very efficient. Yikes! Usage% costs a lot of money and you could be spending that on things you need (practically everything besides boards). Plus for that usage% to not be very efficient is a recipe for disaster.

Overall: A few too many minutes, not enough threes, and too many turnovers. But look at those rebounds!

2/16/2015 12:03 AM (edited)
Pacific

thohoops: John Stockton, Larry Nance, Jerry West, Bob Lanier, Terrell Brandon, Vlade Divac, Charlie Edge
Most owners will say you reached for Stockton at #11. I am not one of them. I think you might have been able to trade down a few spots to get him, but I personally think he is a top 10 player. However, I am not so sure about your next two picks. Both Nance and West are decent to good players, but I think there were much better options available (especially for West). 

Lanier is a pretty decent 4th rounder. Good efg% for his usage, and decent rebounding and passing. His D is just okay and in his most efficient scoring seasons he isn't a very good rebounder and vice versa, but there are a couple of decent role playing seasons to choose from. Other than LeBron, Chris Paul, and Dwyane Wade, Brandon is the only player in the entire SIM with 6 point usage, 50% efg, 25 ast%, 10 dreb% and 80 D. His efg% is a little low for his usage%, but otherwise he is a steal.

Overall: 01 Stockton??? While I use this version all the time in open leagues, how can you justify not using 95? 01 is great, but a partial season guy as the 11th pick? 

amerk1180: Karl Malone, Magic Johnson, Andrew Bynum, Vince Carter, A.C. Green, Kirk Hinrich, Chris Mihm
I love Karl Malone in the SIM. I would seriously consider him with the 4th pick. Adding Magic gives you a ton of flexibility, as he can be an elite point guard or small forward. This is a great 1-2 punch. I think that while you gave up some good picks for this combo, that you came out ahead. With a few good late selections, this combo could be scary. 

Bynum has a monster partial season, but I am guessing you are using his top minute season. It is not quite as good, but still quite a good one. 4 point usage, 55.8 efg%, good rebounding and serviceable defense. Depending on which season of Vinsanity you use, I am either very against this pick or all for it. He misses way too much in his most commonly used season for how often he shoots. However his 2013 season is pretty good. Not quite the usage, but that's a good thing with Vince. If you are using the high usage season, you know have 20 usage points in your first four players. Yikes! Even with the more efficient version, you are going to need some efficient low usage players to fill out your roster. 

Overall:
Didn't quite make it to 19,300 hundred minutes so fatigue will be an issue. Also very low on threes and a ton of usage that could have been spent on more efficient players.

vancem: Dwyane Wade, Bob McAdoo, Buck Williams, Nate McMillan, Paul Griffin, Greg Anthony, Ed Pinckney
I'm not as big on Dwyane as many here are, but it is hard to deny the positives he brings. 100 D with good rebounding from a high usage SG is hard to find. I hate his high usage%/ low efg% combo, but that's just my preference. McAdoo doesn't have that same problem as he brings good efg% to his high usage%.  He is a very solid mid second round pick. Buck is a very solid third rounder as he does a number of things well.

McMillan has a bunch of usable seasons. Unfortunately his best efg% season doesn't provide the high assists some of his others do, and those don't have the super high defense and come with lower efg%. That being said, he is a very solid low usage guy who can bring a lot to the table. Who is Paul Griffin? He is very efficient with low usage and brings some rebounding and passing to the table. After getting most of your usage right away, I like that you grabbed some bargains later. You could have got Griffin in the sixth however. 

Overall: A little low on threes and too many turnovers, but this team will be pretty good. Pretty good numbers both bulk and advanced.

98average: Moses Malone, Bill Walton, Ray Allen, Fat Lever, Bo Outlaw, Kenny Anderson, Rick Barry
Moses is easily a top 10 pick, and I think Bill Walton should be a top 30 pick every year. That's a scary front court. Ray Allen adds some needed scoring in the backcourt. This team looks good.

Fat brings great rebounding, good passing and decent defense to the table along with a great name. He is really inefficient when it comes to scoring and by now everyone probably knows how I feel about that. I love the Outlaw pick. He gives good rebounding and passing at the SF along with great defense. He is also very efficient.

Overall:
Not the best passing team and there are a few too many turnovers here, but I really like everything else. This team should do well.

slymonium: Anfernee Hardaway, Scottie Pippen, Shawn Kemp, Charlie Ward, Kris Humphries, Jamal Tinsley, Marcin Gortat
All three of these guys are usually high second rounders so even if you think Penny was a reach, sly came out of three rounds with three very good players. There is a lot of usage here, but with the right role players, this team will be tough.

I love the Ward and Humphries picks. Slymonium now has five very quality players. Charlie Ward is a steal in the 4th and Humphries always finds himself on good teams. He has great rebounding and Ward pretty much has good everything.

Overall: No one here has a super high efg% but everyone is pretty good. The defense is great, and both the bulk numbers and advanced stats scream playoffs!

jkaye24: Ben Wallace, Julius Erving, Wes Unseld, Paul Pierce, Kevin Johnson, Danny Granger, Dominic McGuire
I think Big Ben was a reach at 15. He is more of a complimentary player in my opinion. Dr. J, is also a complementary player in my opinion and if you are leaning on him to score you will be in trouble. He may score, but it won't be efficient. I do like Wes here. If he could play defense at all he would be a second rounder every year, and you have his poor defense backed up pretty well.

The Truth is great and adds so many things. 4 point usage% with 55.1 efg%, good rebounding and passing and decent defense. Kevin Johnson has one very good year where he is a high volume, efficient scorer with great passing. I'v had success with him in this league and I think he is a great pick here.

Overall: A little low on minutes, and there are some definite scrubs here, but this should be a playoff team.

2/16/2015 12:15 AM (edited)
1st Round
1. iccoachb- Kareem Abdul-Jabbar 
2. benhoidal (via robocoach)  - Wilt Chamberlin 
3. cjok1051 (via mikee1) - LeBron James 
4. cjok1051 -  Dennis Rodman 
5. 98average - Moses Malone 
6. carbonjones - Michael Jordan 
7. copernicus - Shaqulle O'Neal 
8. hoopsdude - Dwight Howard 
9. amerk1180 - Karl Malone 
10. jhsukow - Kevin Durant 
11. thohoops - John Stockton 
12. dh555 - David Robinson 
13. seapilots - Steph Curry  
14. eleibowitz - Chris Paul
15. jkaye24 - Ben Wallace
16. vancem - Dwyane Wade
17. scudmissle - Charles Barkley
18. jt7king - Larry Bird
19. amerk1180 (via uptowngbv) - Magic Johnson   
20. benhoidal   - Tim Duncan
21. slymonium - Anfernee Hardaway
22. tarheel1991 - Jason Kidd
23.  jcred5 - Artis Glmore
24.  banditone - Bill Russell

Observations
1. With the first pick in ODL 51, iccoachb selects..... Kareem!
Kareem is great. 6 usage points with 57.8 efg% plus good rebounding, assists and defense puts him in the very top tier of players. In my opinion he should go #3 every time. However if you are in one of the first two slots, you have to come away with 67 Wilt or 13 LeBron, you just have to. Those two are in a class by themselves and iccoach will be kicking himself for letting them slip later.

2. Holy Trade Season Batman!
Now that's what I am talking about! 3 first round trades! This is way more exciting than the last couple drafts. Let's evaluate each one!

Trade A
robocoach gets picks: 29(Elton Brand), 68(Kawhi Leonard), 129, 130
benhoidal gets picks: 2(Wilt Chamberlain), 98, 165,166

Sometimes when you trade down you get a haul, but for this trade to be worth it for robocoach he has to get a haul worthy of Wilt Chamberlain. Elton Brand is good, but at 29, that's higher than he has gone in at least 7 years. Kawhi is decent, but last year he went 97th so robocoach might have been able to draft him with the 98th pick he gave up instead of the 68th. The 6th round swap is nice for robocoach, but at that point of the draft, I have found that the difference between 129 and 165 isn't much if any. It just comes down to owner preference there. Robocoach got some nice picks here, but can he really justify giving up Wilt for Brand and a 6th round swap? I don't think so.
Verdict: Huge edge to benhoidal (although I might be biased, haha).

Trade B
amerk1180 gets picks: 19(Magic Johnson), 78(Andrew Bynum), 131
uptowngbv gets picks: 40(DeAndre Jordan), 57(Bobby Jones), 105

DeAndre is a beast and along with Bobby Jones, uptowngbv gets two very efficient players. He also gets to move up 26 spots later on which could be valuable. amerk1180 gets a true 1st rounder and a superb player to pair up with Karl Malone. I love that pairing. There are still plenty of good options available at 78 including one or two who I would take ahead of Jones.
Verdict: Edge to amerk1180.

Trade C
mikee1 gets picks: 45(Patrick Ewing), 52(Tyson Chandler), 93
cjok1051 gets picks: 3(LeBron James), 163,164

The 163rd and 164th picks are basically undrafted players so the question here is: Are Patrick Ewing, Tyson Chandler and whomever mike gets at 93 better than LeBron? I didn't like the Ewing pick and I still think those 3 combined are better. LeBron is amazing, but I think cjok1051 gave away too much for him. However, there are bargains to be had late and if he can grab a couple and add them to LeBron and Rodman it could change the verdict of this trade really quickly.
Verdict: Slight edge to mikee1 (for now).

3. You have the 3rd and 4th pick... What do you do???
Usually with the third pick I would take Kareem, but with LeBron left here instead, I think he is the easy choice. So who to pair him with? Jordan? Rodman? Moses? Karl? Shaq? Any of those options are good. I actually think that Rodman is the best pairing with LeBron on the surface. However, that cjok1051 had to give up his 2nd, 3rd, and 4th picks to be in this position means he is going to have to be searching for bargains later and the best bargains late in the draft are the low usage cost effective players. Without another selection until the fifth round, I think you need to pair LeBron with someone who has enough usage that you don't need anymore later. So while I think Rodman is great and pairs well with LeBron, I think you have to go in another direction. I am partial to Karl Malone, but I think I am definitely in the minority on this one.

4. The rise of Steph Curry
Last season I thought it was a reach when slymonium took Curry with the 21st pick. Sly proceeded to fill the roster with great picks and finish with a tie for the best overall record. I love Curry, I just didn't think he was a first rounder, however after reevaluating him, I actually found that I did think he was a top 24 pick. I actually now have him at 19 on my big board. But 13th??? Ahead of Duncan, Larry Legend, Magic, and Sir Charles? I think this is way to high, but both seapilots and Steph Curry have exceeded my expectations before. Maybe next year I will have Curry even higher.

5. Welcome to the first round Penny Hardaway!
I think this is the first time Penny has ever been taken in the first round, (at least while I have been in the ODL this is true) and I am all aboard! I have a distinct top 21 who I think are better than Penny, but after that I think there are 9 or 10 players you can make a case for being in the bottom of the first round. Of those 9 or 10, I have Penny on top meaning he is 22 on my big board! About time he landed in the first round! However with both Gilmore and Kidd still on the board, I wouldn't have pulled the trigger.

6. Steals:
Wilt Chamberlain (2)
LeBron James (3)
Biggest Steal: Not many steals this year, thought everyone went about where they should. However Wilt and LeBron should always go 1 and 2.

7. Reaches:

Steph Curry (13)
Ben Wallace (15)
Biggest Reach: Ben Wallace
2/2/2015 2:01 PM (edited)
2nd Round
25. banditone- Tracy McGrady  
26. jcred5 - Shawn Marion
27. tarheel1991 - Kevin Garnett
28. slymonium - Scottie Pippen
29. robocoach (via benhoidal) - Elton Brand 
30. uptowngbv - Hakeem Olajuwon
31. jt7king - Oscar Robertson
32. scudmissle - Manu Ginobili
33. vancem - Bob McAdoo
34.  jkaye24 - Julius Erving
35. eleibowitz - Alonzo Mourning
36. seapilots - Kevin McHale
37. dh555 - Chauncey Billups
38. thohoops - Jerry West 
39. jt7king (via jhsukow) - Marcus Camby
40. uptowngbv (via amerk1180) - DeAndre Jordan 
41. hoopsdude - Anthony Davis
42. copernicus - Donyell Marshall
43 carbonjones - Dikemebe Mutombo
44. 98average-  Bill Walton
45. mikee1 (via cjok1051)- Patrick Ewing 
46. mikee1 - Mookie Blaylock
47. robocoach - Horace Grant 
48. iccoachb - Andrei  Kirilenko

Observations
1. Another Trade!
I am loving the draft this season! Let's keep the trades happening!

Trade D
jt7king gets picks: 39(Marcus Camby), 149, 150
jhsukow gets picks: 66(Rajon Rondo), 79(Jose Calderon), 114

I don't mind moving up to get Camby, but wow did you give up a lot to move up 27 picks. You move down 70 and 36 picks! Wow.
Verdict: Big edge to jhsukow

2. Anthony Davis: second rounder?
Anthony Davis is a superstar and will eventually take over as the best player in the league, but in the SIM right now this is not a second rounder. Yes, he gives you 96 D (actually a bit less if you play him at SF) and is a good boarder at the SF but he is only okay at other things. For the amount of usage he has he is only an average shooter at best, has very limited passing, and has a high price tag for his minutes.

3. Best Duos after round two:
i.
LeBron and the Worm
ii.
Wilt and Timmy D
iii. Mailman and Magic
iv. Moses and Bill Walton
v. Sir Charles and Manu

4. Steals:
Bill Walton (44)

5. Reaches:
Tracy McGrady (25)
Anthony Davis (41)
Biggest Reach: Davis

2/8/2015 11:49 PM (edited)
3rd Round
49. iccoachb - Gary Payton
50. robocoach - Kevin Love
51. mikee1  - Terry Porter
52. mikee1 (via cjok1051) - Tyson Chandler   
53. 98average  - Ray Allen
54. carbonjones  - Steve Nash
55. copernicus  - Jerry Lucas
56. hoopsdude  - Clyde Drexler
57. uptowngbv (via amerk1180)- Bobby Jones  
58. jhsukow  - Joakim Noah
59. thohoops  -Larry Nance
60. dh555  - Andre Drummond
61. seapilots  - Tom Boerwinkle
62. eleibowitz  - Serge Ibaka
63. jkaye24  - Wes Unseld
64. vancem  - Buck Williams
65. scudmissle  - Deron Williams
66. jhsukow (via jt7king) - Rajon Rondo
67. uptowngbv - Kobe Bryant
68. robocoach (via benhoidal) - Kawhi Leonard  
69. slymonium  - Shawn Kemp
70. tarheel1991 - James Harden
71.  jcred5  - Derek Harper
72.  banditone - Dana Barros

Observations
1. Quit drafting undrafted players in the third round!
Every year a previously undrafted player goes in the third and a few of them go in the fourth. This year is no different. Save these picks for the 5th and 6th rounds! You can get these guys later!!!

2. Early Favorites:
There are a lot of good options at this point, but here some of my favorites (no specific order): 

scudmissle: Sir Charles, Manu, DWill
dh555: DRob, Chauncey, Drummond
benhoidal: Wilt, TimmyD
carbonjones: MJ, Dikembe, Nash
eleibowitz: CP3, Zo, Ibaka
amerk1180: Mailman, Magic
98average: Moses, Bill Walton, Ray Ray

3. It's official: The third round is the point guard round
Last season there were 8-9 point guards taken in this round and this season there are 7. If you don't have a point guard already, you might be in trouble. Whoops! I don't have a point guard yet!

4. Steals:
Tyson Chandler (52)
Steve Nash (54)
Jerry Lucas (55)
Shawn Kemp (69)
Biggest Steal: Lucas

5. Reaches:

Kawhi Leonard (68)
Dana Barros (72)
Biggest Reach: Barros

2/2/2015 1:45 PM (edited)
4th Round
73. banditone - Marques Johnson
74. jcred5 - Dirk Nowitzki 
75. tarheel1991- Robert Parish 
76. slymonium - Charlie Ward
77. benhoidal - Brent Barry
78. amerk1180 - Andrew Bynum
79. jhsukow (via jt7king  - Jose Calderon
80. scudmissle - Emeka Okafor
81. vancem - Nate McMillan
82. jkaye24 - Paul Pierce
83. eleibowitz - Larry Sanders
84. seapilots - Clifford Ray
85. dh555 - Walt Frazier
86. thohoops - Bob Lanier 
87. jhsukow - Muggsy Bogues
88. amerk1180 - Vince Carter
89. hoopsdude - Swen Nater
90  copernicus - Mark Price
91 carbonjones - Pau Gasol
92. 98average - Fat Lever
93. mikee1 (via cjok1051) - Amare Stoudemire
94. mikee1 - Jameer Nelson
95. robocoach - Kyle Lowry
96. iccoachb - Kyle Korver

Observations
1. So many previously undrafted players
These guys will be available later!!! There is not one good reason to draft them now!

2. Steals:
Charlie Ward (76)
Clifford Ray (84)
Amare Stoudemire (93)
Biggest Steal: Ray

3. Reaches:

Every previously undrafted player!

2/9/2015 1:01 AM (edited)
5th Round
97. iccoachb - Troy Murphy
98. benhoidal (via robocoach) - Maurice Cheeks  
99. mikee1 - Reggie Evans
100. cjok1051 - Chris Mullin
101. 98average - Bo Outlaw
102. carbonjones - Andre Iguodala
103. copernicus - Gerald Wallace
104. hoopsdude - Carmelo Anthony
105. uptowngbv (via amerk1180) - Marc Jackson
106. jhsukow - Grant Hill
107. thohoops - Terrell Brandon
108. dh555 - Kenneth Faried
109. seapilots  - Al Horford
110. eleibowitz  - Andrew Bogut
111. jkaye24  - Kevin Johnson
112. vancem  - Paul Griffin
113. scudmissle  - Dale Davis
114. jhsukow (via jt7king) - Jalen Rose
115. uptowngbv - Andre Miller
116. benhoidal - Mike Miller
117. slymonium - Kris Humphries
118. tarheel1991 - James Worthy
119.  jcred5 - Brent Price
120.  banditone - Connie Hawkins

Observations:
1. Favorites after 5 rounds:
dh555
carbonjones
seapilots
eleibowitz
98average
slymonium

2. Audience Vote! Let me know what you want me to discuss!

3. Steals:
Gerald Wallace (103)
Terrell Brandon (107)
Biggest Steal: Brandon

4. Reaches: 
Grant Hill
Paul Griffin
Biggest Reach: Hill
2/9/2015 12:48 AM (edited)
6th Round
121/122. banditone - Chris Webber & Chris Gatling
123/124. jcred5 -Steve Blake & Lee Mayberry
125/126. tarheel1991 - Sean May & Otis Smith
127/128. slymonium - Jamaal Tinsley & Marcin Gortat
129/130. robocoach (via benhoidal) - Danny Green & Nazr Mohmmed
131. amerk1180 (via uptowngbv) - AC Green
132. uptowngbv - Chris Andersen
133/134. jt7king - Ryan Anderson & Omer Asik
135/136. scudmissle- Charles Oakley & JR Smith
137/138. vancem- Greg Anthony & Ed Pinckney
139/140.  jkaye24 - Danny Granger & Dominic McGuire
141/142. eleibowitz Nic Batum & Jeff Ruland
143/144. seapilots  John Henson & Elgin Baylor
145/146. dh555 - Jon Barry and Brandan Wright
147/148. thohoops - Vlade Divac and Charlie Edge
149/150. jt7king (via jhsukow) - Oliver Miller and Vladimir Radmanovic
151/152. amerk1180 - Kirk Hinrich and Chris Mihm
153/154. hoopsdude - Earl Watson and Johnny Moore
155/156. copernicus - Maurice Harkless and Cory Alexander
157/158. carbonjones - Arvydas Sabonis and Toni Kukoc
159/160. 98average - Kenny anderson and Rick Barry
161/162. cjok1051 - Carlos Boozer and Mark Eaton
163/164. cjok1051 (via mikee1) - Reggie Miller and Manute Bol
165/166. benhoidal (via robocoach) - Fred Hoiberg and Boris Diaw
167/168. iccoachb - Brandon Rush and Shane Battier

Observations:
1. Steals:
Chris Webber (121)
Jon Barry (145)
Carlos Boozer (161)
Brandon Rush (167)
Biggest Steal: Chris Webber

2. Reaches:

I never think there are any reaches here, as everyone has completely different team needs and certain players fit those needs differently.
2/9/2015 1:07 AM (edited)
I had a lot of fun doing these again, but just a reminder: please do not get upset with me over these rankings. They are as objective as I could be and I wish everyone luck. If you don't like how I ranked you, prove me wrong during the season! With as much parody as this great league gets every season, I am sure there will be more than a few surprises. Good luck to all!
2/16/2015 12:27 AM (edited)
Predictions: (last year I correctly picked theyard2 to win it all, can I do it again???)

Atlantic
copernicus and benhoidal fight for the bye
tarheel 1991, robocoach, scudmissle, and dh555 all fight for the playoffs.

Toughest division (although I am biased). Not because of the top, but because everyone has a pretty good team.

Central
carbonjones and seapilots fight for the bye
cjok1051 fights for the playoffs
jcred5 and uptowngbv miss playoffs
iccoachb struggles

Midwest
eleibowitz wins the bye
jtk7king and hoopsdude fight for the playoffs
mikee1 misses playoffs
jhsukow and banditone struggle

Pacific
98average and slymonium fight for the bye
vancem and jkaye24 fight for the playoffs
thohoops and amerk1180 miss playoffs

Eastern Conference seeding and playoffs
1. seapilots
2. benhoidal
3. copernicus
4. carbonjones
5. cjok1051
6. scudmissle

Incredibly tough cut: tarheel1991

1 seed seapilots over 2 seed benhoidal in 7 games

Western Conference seeding and playoffs
1. eleibowitz
2. 98average
3. slymonium
4. jt7king
5. vancem
6. jkaye24

2 seed 98average over 1 seed eleibowitz in 6 games

Finals
seapilots over 98average in 5 games

Champion: seapilots

2/16/2015 12:25 AM (edited)
I wouldn't have taken Chamberlain with the 2nd pick anyway. I consider him to be ODL poison because of his price tag.
2/1/2015 8:00 PM
Okay so you gave up LeBron for Brand and a sixth round swap. Either way, I would rather have the number two pick.
2/1/2015 8:10 PM
I would pair Lebron with Rodman. The usage issue would make me strongly consider Karl Malone and Kevin Durant though.

I expect Curry and Penny to stay in the first round.
2/1/2015 9:16 PM
123 Next ▸
ODL 51 Evaluations Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.