Am I getting screwed here? Topic

Posted by sjpoker on 2/2/2015 5:47:00 PM (view original):
Wow, very interesting. I'm glad I asked. So this is a guy who would get slotted in as a setup guy?
SUA or LRA.   Either way, he'll get a lot of innings.

Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Octavio Nieves is on the same team as Simpson with the same settings.   But Simmy calls on Simpson first because he's better.

I'm sure you've learned that the guy you found so useless and overpaid that you felt you'd have to include your best young player to trade, has more value than you thought.
2/2/2015 5:55 PM
You gonna pat me on the *** and send me on my way Dad?
2/2/2015 6:04 PM
You'd like that, wouldn't you?

Just saying you've confirmed that new owners shouldn't have their head on fire in a rush to make trades.
2/2/2015 6:09 PM
Roles and value are an interesting part of this game to figure out.

My first season, I had a gold glove quality SS who couldn't hit a lick.  He was due 4 million in the second season, so I exercised his option and cut him.  Took me a few seasons to buy into the advantage of great fielding.

Eight seasons later, I now have come all the way back around to paying 4 million for a gold glove SS.

I currently have about 15 million tied up in five guys in my bullpen.  If I had a dominant guy like sjpoker's, I could just go cheap on the other four guys.

2/2/2015 7:22 PM
Well, all good points throughout the thread. Especially by Mike. I'll definitely start looking at how I operate.
2/3/2015 5:41 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 2/2/2015 5:35:00 PM (view original):
A good example. Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Bill Tatum

Throwing 140+.    His owner decides to use him as a closer and he's getting 60-70 innings.   That's like leaving 8 games on the table at season's end.
I made a run at Tatum. But some dam Canadian decided to offer him the moon, which I lacked:(

Great talent.
2/3/2015 1:31 PM
I have this guy pitching for my Vancouver team:  Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Polin Diaz

I
 agree, with pitchers like Diaz and Tatum you don't need much else for a Pen. Diaz had a down season last season along with my team, still he pitched 145 IP.  I'm going with 4 tandems and trying to let Diaz wrap it up. 
2/3/2015 1:38 PM
Posted by sjpoker on 2/3/2015 5:41:00 AM (view original):
Well, all good points throughout the thread. Especially by Mike. I'll definitely start looking at how I operate.
I still feel that you can find success doing things the way you intended, but there is no denying the fact that you will probably do less harm to yourself by waiting and watching, thereby learning the tendencies of your world mates, etc... Also, keep in mind that the trading deadline offers a good opportunity to sell veteran players to contenders.
2/3/2015 2:02 PM
Well, I ended up dealing Stairs and Cory Moehler whatifsports.com/HBD/Pages/Popups/PlayerProfile.aspx for three 1st round minor league pitchers. They are a ways away and I gave up a lot in Moehler. But in the end, I kept Ward. I listened to a lot of good offers, but in the end, this one made the most sense.
2/3/2015 6:52 PM
That's about 400 quality innings per season.   Moehler would be a 2 on my teams. 
2/3/2015 7:28 PM
Mike - any deal I did would have been the wrong choice as you said. Like it was put out there before, Ward is a guy you never trade. And I get salary relief and (probably) keep my best pitcher.
2/3/2015 7:56 PM
Not necessarily.   But I doubt all three of the guys you got in return will produce the same quality innings that Ward/Stairs will over the rest of their careers.

FWIW, I'm not sure how you got that I was criticizing your deal from "That's about 400 quality innings per season.   Moehler would be a 2 on my teams" anyway. 
2/3/2015 8:01 PM
Moehler is deteriorating. sjpoker, I went through the same crap when I first started. Keep plugging away. I love getting young players that I can develop. I've made many mistakes, but I'm not afraid to throw caution to the wind. I pretty much hate any player over 30. In my very first season, the veterans in the league made it a point to not let the rookies get eaten by the sharks. ****** me off. I take responsibility for my actions, so who are they to tell me what I can and cannot do? But you know what....the only trades I veto nowadays are those that involve a rookie owner. Not all of them, but some. With what I know now, I do realize that you should not be too hasty in trading during your first 1 or 2 seasons. Just peruse the landscape for awhile.
2/3/2015 8:04 PM
Here's why Moehler is declining(and you're obviously doing the right thing to stop it):
33 Portland Pacifics sjpoker 89 20 16 6 14 14 6 14 6
32 Vancouver Vipers stonewalter 130 10 13 10 0 2 0 10 10
31 Vancouver Vipers stonewalter 126 10 13 10 2 2 2 10 10
30 Vancouver Vipers stonewalter 122 10 13 10 2 2 6 10 10

The previous owner was running 10m in training.    FWIW, that's one reason I haven't given you too much **** for HAVING to move Stairs.  You're only at 14.   Older players are going to decline on you this season. 
2/3/2015 8:08 PM
And I'll add that I think you've done a lot of research on how to play the game and incorporated a strategy on how to get where you want to be.   The mistake your made, and I commented on, was the rush to trade away a super young player in order to rid yourself of a very good, but overpaid, pitcher.    As you see, you didn't have to do that. 
2/3/2015 8:11 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5|6|7 Next ▸
Am I getting screwed here? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.