Best Baseball Rivalry Battle(8 in) Topic

Theme Summary: Im not sure if some variation of this league has been ran before, but I thought it was a brilliant theme idea. Anyways, under the Major League Baseball Rivalries wiki page, there are 16 possible rivalries-either divisional, interdivisional, interleague, or historical-between the original 16 franchises. Choose one of those rivalries and create your team using only players' seasons with either of your franchises. Atleast 12 players from each franchise must be on you roster. Only 2 instances of each rivalry may used and will be placed in seperate leagues. Franchises must follow their baseball-reference chronology. For example if the Twins were one of you franchises, you could draft from the 1901-1960 Washington Senators, and the 1961-2014 Minnesota Twins for atleast 12 of your players. We will only be using the 1901-2014 seasons to keep the late 19th century franchises from having more seasons to draft from. Upon signup declare whether you would like to be placed in the NL or AL, as the AL will use a DH and the NL will not. Obviously if someone has signed up as sox-yanks in the AL, you are limited to the taking them as an NL team. Must use one of your franchises home stadiums. I will do my best to align the divisions where there is only one instance of each team but may not be entirely possible. any other alignment will be random. 

Basic Rules: DH AL only, 120M cap, 6/2 AA AAA real names, NO WW, NO Clones, NO trades, 1901-2014 seasons only, 40 game live min

Possible Rivals (Rivalries in bold taken twice)

AMERICAN LEAGUE RIVALRIES
Yankees-Red Sox
White Sox-Tigers
White Sox-Twins
Tigers-Indians

NATIONAL LEAGUE RIVALRIES
Reds-Pirates
Reds-Cardinals
Cubs-Cardinals
Dodgers-Giants
Braves-Phillies

INTERLEAGUE RIVALRIES
A's-Giants
Cubs-White Sox
Reds-Indians

HISTORICAL RIVALRIES
Yankees-Dodgers
Yankees-Giants
Dodgers-Reds
Phillies-Pirates

EXPANSION RIVALRIES
Red Sox-Rays
Angels-A's
Astros-Rangers
Angels-Red Sox
Tigers-Blue Jays
Cardinals-Brewers
Cubs-Brewers
Dodgers-Diamondbacks
Dodgers-Padres
Giants-Padres
Braves-Nationals
Braves-Mets
Mets-Phillies
Dodgers-Angels
Mets-Yankees
Orioles-Nationals
Royals-Cardinals
Royals-Yankees

I will kick off by taking the Cards/Cubs as a die hard Cardinal fan, but in doing so will let the other potential user to select this rivalry choose NL or AL. 

If I missed anything or you guys have any suggestions please let me know!

EDIT: im going to allow users to select rivalries that include expansion teams as well. Please note by doing this you will have fewer years to select players from. Im going to add these rivalries to the list above.

2/16/2015 9:44 AM (edited)
Owner List NL
1. tato526 (Cardinal/Cubs) 
2. coyote522(Dodgers/Giants)
3. Jbar8888(A's/Giants)
4. Joshkvt(Red Sox/Yankees)
12. cjmitch93(TBD)

Owner List AL
1. gusv(Yankees/dodgers) or NL
2. cjmitch93(Cubs/Cardinals)
3. tato526 (Yankee/Giants)

Im also open to the idea of dropping down to a 16 team league if this does not pick up enough traction quick enough
2/16/2015 8:50 PM (edited)
Also considering a 120M cap if that would be more appealing
2/14/2015 9:21 PM
I'll take Yankees-Dodgers ... A mixed crew of pitching could be awesome (e.g. Koufax, Kershaw, Guidry, Gomez) ... and even without the fearsome bats of Ruth, Mantle, Demaggio, and A-Rod, you could get a decent line up of hitters (e.g. Dickey, Gehrig, JRobinson, Boggs, Rizzuto,  O'Doul, Combs, Galan to name just a few). Though any rivalry that includes the Yankees should benefit from high cap at $140M, I would like to suggest $120M cap to be fair to folks with non-Yankee teams ... 
2/16/2015 11:17 PM (edited)
I took Yankees/Dodgers, not Yankees/Giants- either AL or NL is OK with me ... 
2/14/2015 11:36 PM
sorry I've had drinking some suds tonight. Yankees and Dodgers it is
2/15/2015 12:14 AM (edited)
Thanks ... Yankees and Giants are a good combo too .... Mathewson, Marichal, and Scmidt should be awesome starting aces while the bats of Bonds, McCovey, Ott, and Hornsby will be feared by adversaries ... 
2/15/2015 2:15 AM
San Luis-cubs
Yankees-Giants
2/15/2015 9:11 AM
Welcome tato526. Great to have you on board. Let me know if you have a league preference
2/15/2015 9:47 AM
I will probably select another rivalry when the league is close to filling up
2/15/2015 9:56 AM
I would like to go with dodgers-giants. NL.
2/15/2015 11:21 AM
welcome coyote522. Great choice
2/15/2015 2:07 PM
Are Tato's teams reversed? ... Cards-Cubs in NL and Yanks-Giants AL? ... 
2/15/2015 8:39 PM
Well with the Cards/Cubs rivalry being used twice, one will have to be in each league. He did not mention his preference as to which league so I left my team in the NL because there was already a Yankee Combo in the AL. I dont mind to switch leagues however.
2/15/2015 8:57 PM
I would like to suggest five more rivalries:
Tigers and Blue Jays- Heck ... they are just across each other on the US Canada border.
Yankees-Mets ... Believe me, there is a rivalry there! I used to live in North Jersey and work in Manhattan during the 70's.
Dodgers and Angels ... The Battle for LA!
Astros and Rangers ... Texas rivals!
Expos and Blue Jays ... Canadian rivals!
2/16/2015 12:06 AM
12 Next ▸
Best Baseball Rivalry Battle(8 in) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.