Offensive Strategy against various Defenses Topic

One area of the game I haven't spent a lot of time researching is how best to attack a particular defense. I generally try to get my distribution updated based on the success of each player's effective field goal percentage. And this works relatively ok during the regular season but I'd like to see if I can gain more of an advantage come tourney time. Is there a general strategy (all else being equal) I can employ when confronted with a specific defense? Do any of the thoughts below make sense?

Man-to-man: Increase distribution for one of my players if the opposing defender for that position is weak? Or if the opposition's SG is a weak defender and I have a great scoring SF, should I consider moving my SF to SG for that game?

2-3 Zone: Increase distribution for PG/SG/SF?

3-2 Zone: Increase distribution for PF/C?

Press: Not sure I have any ideas for this one.

2/27/2015 2:41 PM
Most of your ideology is right, for press they cannot chose match ups like man to man is pg v pg, the only thing you can do against press Is limit turnovers, when you limit turnovers at least in my exp I tend to win against it, feed it to your best ball handlers and passers regardless of who is matched up.

With zone some coaches will run a 2-3 +2 which you can actually score inside and run a balanced offense. So watch for defensive positioning because a 2-3 and even +3 can ruin a perimeter game in some cases and the same goes for 3-2 -3. Rebounding becomes pretty big against zone in a lot of cases. It becomes more of an offensive battle to score than a defensive. Think of where the opening will be, remember this is an engine and not real life
2/27/2015 3:50 PM
Don't go two overboard on assuming that a two three automatically means perimeter and a three two automatically means go post: still look at the actual players. If the other team has a pair of elite defensive guards then, even if he's playing a two three, you don't necessarily want to load up there. Also keep in mind that I sometimes see someone playing a two three to, for example try to cover for a defensive weakness. If for example you have the aforementioned two elite defensive guards, but a weak post defensive player , the opponent might be playing a 2-3 to put the SF down low on defense to try to compensate. I guess what I'm saying is: try to puzzle out WHY they are playing a two three or three two. Sometimes it might be to try to cover up a weakness.
2/28/2015 5:58 AM
Offensive Strategy against various Defenses Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.