OOTP HR race 1961 - interesting results Topic

First of all, sorry for the delay in the historic replay I was running. The entire database for that league crashed, even the backups, not sure why, so that the problem is, even if I pick it back up where I left off - the 1925 season, it will not have the previous version's stats so no career records etc. 

I am thinking about what to do and whether to restart it etc. 

In the meantime, since my college is finishing its 8 week semester this week I have a ton of work, but having completed grading papers last night and getting ready to teach the last day of class today before more papers and exams come in this weekend, I had an hour or so last night to mess around with starting a new league in OOTP. 

It is an association, meaning two independent leagues that combine to allow trades and have each of their champions face off in a series at the end of both seasons. 

It began in 1960. The leagues are the Workingmen's league, mainly Great Lakes area teams - Chicago, Toledo, Kalamazoo, Rochester and my own team the Terre Haute Railwaymen. The other league is the Farmers' League with teams in Omaha, Kansas City, Des Moines and so on. 

It is a fictional league but I filled it with historic players only (I would play HBD here but it also uses only fictional players, not as much fun to me). 

To do this by the way, just create the league, then use the League function to clear rosters, go to player info from the league menu at the top and then "free agents" and then "eliminate all free agents" - then go to "edit league structure" add a bunch of historic teams with players you want, then back to league functions and "create fantasy draft" which empties the rosters and sets up an inaugural draft. Then go back and cancel the historic teams so you only have the teams you wanted to create.

So I used the full rosters of all MLB teams from 1943 and 1960 to create a big pool of players. Rookies will come from any season between 1947 and 1979.

Now, I have decided to KEEP the league aggregate stats at 1960 for the duration of the league - meaning that the total hits, runs, home runs, etc. for the season will be those of 1960, divided up as among players and teams depending on their performances. So while the players advance in time in their careers, there is no external impetus demanding either a great pitchers' era in the 60s, or a steroid HR era in the 1990s. It is as if we are using real 1960 dollars to measure real wages or prices or income levels, but doing the same with run totals and so on. So if there WERE NO expansion, no change in quality, because I have kept the leagues to 16 teams total (though with some players coming from 1943 admittedly), how many home runs will the leaders have^

My team grabbed Henry Aaron in the first round and when I saw that Roger Maris was still available, it being 1960 I could not resist and drafted him too. Our pitching sucks however so far, so while we had a 4th place winning season in 1960 (New York Knickerbockers beat the Des Moines Blackbirds 4 games to 2 in the Farm-Labor Trophy Series), we finished 6th in 1961. 

But our fans watched a home run race to the top between Aaron and Maris all season, the lead see-sawed back and forth and both were on pace at mid-season to break 60. 

But in the end...Maris won - um, the BATTING TITLE ! Roger Maris' average of .318 was the best in baseball that season, 1961. Second place? Henry Aaron .317. 

Henry Aaron led the majors with 52 home runs, and since the first season of the league he hit 45, which was the most in 1960, the record for most home runs goes to Hank Aaron with 52. Maris ended up with 46 homers on the season in 1961 using 1960 levels of play. 

But Aaron won the RBI title with 146, meaning that by one point Maris' performance denied him a Triple Crown. Hope I don't have to trade one of them to keep the peace !

3/5/2015 6:17 AM
OOTP HR race 1961 - interesting results Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.