ABA Parallel League - EVALS & DISCUSSION Topic

a
3/6/2015 5:43 PM
I'm attempting some evals, as I know several of you guys like them in other theme leagues.
I'm not trying to give anyone a hard time and not being intentionally provocative - just an opinion.
3/6/2015 5:44 PM
EVALUATIONS - EAST Conference ATLANTIC

Atlantic
Oak. Oaks - (skypilot) - Spencer Haywood, Mack Calvin, Ron Boone, Jim McDaniel , Doug Moe,
.......................................Ed Johnson, Art Becker, Dave Twardzik
cmc- I’d be REAL worried about the interior. Spencer Haywood is stud, but I may not have selected him #1. I love the backcourt, and Mack Calvin may be my favorite PG in the ABA. Boone adds to a solid backcourt, but the two have sub 50% efg. Doug Moe kills fg%as well. I may have looked strong and hard at some thuggish rebounding goons to help Haywood and the backcourt. Outlook: skypilot may be grounded

Min. Pipers - (98average) - Artis Gilmore, John Beasley, Donnie Freeman, Larry Jones , Billy Keller,
......................................Wil Jones, Warren Davis, Goo Kennedy
cmc- Gilmore is a dominating stud in this ABA SIM. His D is 80, and he is a strong rebounder with great efg%. Beasley helps him rebound and is an adequate defender. Donnie Freeman a solid swing man. I like Minnesota chasing some rebounding tough guys in the second round in Jones – Davis and Goo. Outlook: hard to call – Will team be like Artis and be a STUD – or have a handful of GOO?

Spirits of St. L - (pharoop) - Jimmy Jones, Louie Dampier, Skip Thoren, Charlie Edge , Dave Robisch
......................................Mike Gale, Rich Nieman, Ron Franz, Gus Gerrard, Marvin Webster,
cmc- THE best backcourt in the ABA – bar none. Jones and Dampier combo give him great ast% and scoring. A key is using the ‘correct’ Dampier. Charlie Edge a VERY savvy selection, in that he is not a ‘name’ player but as the SF he give 85D 15.8 reb & only 3.4 F/48 min. Thoren avg 19 reb/48min., and Robisch is a solid role player with some offensive punch. Outlook: It’s hard to argue with St. Louis, as pahroop may have the necessary ‘Spirits’ to be a real contender here.

Ky. Colonels - (cmcafeeky) - Zelmo Beaty, Willie Wise, James Silas, Goose Ligon , Jim Eakins
....................,............,.........Manny Leaks, Jim O'Brien, Travis Grant, Gerald Govan, Al Smith
cmc- It’s hard to be totally objective about the team you just drafted. I like it and feel like I have built a contender. Fairly happy to land Zelmo with #7 and he brings a strong inside presence, although he’s not a dominate player. I like Wise and Silas on the wings. Eakins gives some scoring punch although he likes to foul a bit too much and his min./g is light for a ‘starter’. I love my role players. Outlook: Colonels should have Tons of rebounding, and a stout bench. Hopefully enough scoring and Def. to contend.

Den. Nuggets - (longtallbrad) - Mel Daniels, Marvin Barnes, Bill Melchionni , George Thompson, Trooper Washington
...........,.,..,..........................Larry Brown, Wendell Ladner, Gene Moore, Jim Chones, Mark Olberding
cmc- Mel Daniels a good bargain drated at #9 – a tough player and good leader. Melchionni a very good ABA PG with 9.7 ast/48min. and good scoring punch & fg%. Barnes a stud giving 18.8 reb/48 and 28.9 pts/48. Trooper Washington a good role player starter, but a tad light min per game. Larry Brown ensures a good ast% to back up @ PG – good solid bench. Outlook: a contender – I’m not crazy about he wings but Denver is a strong contending team with enough star power inside and quality ball handling, as well as a solid bench. Can the Nuggets keep Marvin 'Bad News' Barnes off cocaine?

Mem. Sounds - (thohoops) - George Gervin, Red Robbins, Maurice Lucas , Charlie Scott, Darnell HIllman,
...........................................John Brisker, Freddie Lewis, Len Elmore, Rich Jones, Al Skinner
cmc – Gervin a hard guy to gage. The Sounds took him at 11, while in the West he went #25. He provides terrific punch with pnts./48 in the 30’s, but efg% hurtful at 50 or below. A REAL head scratcher is his WIS Def. rating in the 80’s. WHAT??? He was TERRIBLE defender, but Memphis has a good ‘shut down’ guy here. Mo. Lucas another anomaly in being selected 26th, while still available in the West through 76 selections. Red Robbins is a solid workman, as is Darnell Dr. Dunk Hillman. Outlook: IF comparing draft selection in E and W drafts is any indications the Sounds have long arms that REACH like crazy. Fans in Memphis are banking that the defense will carry the day and Scott and Gervin will score enough regardless of efficiency.
3/6/2015 5:51 PM (edited)
That is cool stuff.  I can't wait until you kill my team.  If there is a season 2, I will be better.
3/6/2015 5:49 PM
I will be curious if the teams with the first 4 selections in each conference will be strong playoff contenders if not playoff participants.  Certain guys are so dominant from ABA era.  Haywood has been awesome for me in open exhibition leagues.
3/6/2015 5:53 PM
Marvin Barnes is on the Capitals!!
3/6/2015 6:01 PM
Oh wait, other division.  Im an idiot
3/6/2015 6:12 PM
Things I wish the sim would track this season ...

- players fouling out
- leaders -- most/least fouls

3/6/2015 6:12 PM
Central
NY Nets - (Vancem) - Julius Erving, Caldwell Jones, Randy Denton, Ralph Simpson , Don Sidle,
....................................Joe Caldwell, Tom Owens
cmc- WOW The Nets have a done a super job building this team. Dr. J is aa stud: 100D, 36p 13r 6a per 48min. Caldwell Jones and Denton provide good inside rebounding. Simpson a good player with 9.2 ast & 23p/48 with low fouls. What really makes the team is what may be the steal of the draft, Joe Caldwell was #62 selection (43 in W)., provides 80D 29p 4.8 ast 6.8 reb per 48min. Outlook- The Nets are a strong contender for the title. I’d be shocked if he is left out of the playoffs

Car. Cougar - (boredfatguy) - Connie Hawkins, Warren Jabali, Rick Barry , Brian Taylor, Larry Kenon,
..........................................Julius Keye, Larry Miller, Jan Van Bredda Kolff
cmc- Connie Hawkins is a stud and could carry a team, although his usage is relatively low. Jabali at the 21st pick (47 in W) is a concern. His efg% should have dropped him in the draft. Rick Barry a scoring machine but efg% is also a concern. Interior is gravely lacking in rebounding aside from Keye. Outlook- Cougars may benefit from the last two rounds in adding some thugs and goons to rebound. It would be hard to imagine a team with a pair of jackasses like Jabali AND Rick Barry. Wouldn’t it be fun to be a reporter covering this locker-room?

Mia. Floridians - (siedek) - Moses Malone, George McGinnis, Roger A. Brown, George Lehmann , Cincy Powell
...,.........................................M. L. Carr, George Karl, Walt Simon, Ollie Taylor, Lee Davis
cmc- I think Malone went a tad high in both leagues, with Miami landing him at 6 (west #3), although I’m not sure who should have went earlier. Maybe it’s that he is a 19 year old rookie. McGinnin ia stud as is Roger Brown. Cincy Powell a strong quality SF as well. Outlook: I REALLY like his starting 5, but not so crazy about the Miami bench, thinking that more helpful options were available. The Floridians should be a playoff contender.

L.A. Stars - (rubnsly) - David Thompson, Billy Paultz, Mike Lewis , Ted McClain, Billy Knight
.....................................,...,......Bud Olson, Billy Shepherd, Craig Raymond, Fatty Taylor, Ray Scott,
cmc- David ‘Skywalker’ Thompson a stud: 33.4p 7.8reb 4.8ast 51.5 fg% & 78D. Billy ‘Whopper’ Paultz and Mike Lewis are both quality interior players, with Paultz’s questionable rebounding more than offset by his 78D. Lewis has 21 Reb /48 min. a strong contributor. Bud Olson is a sneaky pick that is a quality passing big man. Billy Shepherd a draft day steal role player with quality. Outlook: good strong quality team with aspirations of a deep playoff run.

Pitt. Condors - (jcred) - Bobby Jones, Dan Issel, Chuck Williams , Cliff Hagan, Levern Tart
................................................Ira Harge, George Peebles, Mike Barr, Dave Lattin, Reggie Harding,
cmc- The Condors looked for quality efficient players and were happy to land Bobby Jones(100D), although his scoring punch wouldn’t make you think 1st rounder. Issel can provide punch, but his lack of rebounding may hinder team. Chuck Williams a decent pg option. I really like Hagan, although he fouls and has a loose handle. Tart provides additional scoring punch, but was selected when Pitt. should have been looking for rebounding and interior defense. Outlook- I’m afraid this team needs more thugs and goons. They have quality pieces but may have a weak link in the paint.

Va. Squires - (dh555) - Billy Cunningham, Swen Nater, Don Buse , Mike Green, Bob Netolicky,
.................................................John Roche, Gary Bradds, Walt Szczerbiak, Glen Combs, Frank Card
cmc- Billy C is a swiss army knife. Swen Nater is a rebounding machine. I really like Don Buse at the point. Mike Green and Bob Netolicky gives additional point presence. Outlook: The owner of the Squires, dh55, is a long time participant of the the SIM and may be ahead of the curve in formulating plans for this squad. Virginia has a very good starting lineup, but may have fell asleep at the wheel after picking his first 5 or 6 players.

3/6/2015 7:27 PM (edited)
My team's gonna suck.  Not a high enough assist%.
3/6/2015 9:51 PM
"Mike Green and Bob Netolicky gives additional point presence."

????....both are big men...green was an absolute steal in the 5th...22.2 usg 54.2 efg 11.8 oreb and 64 d

ill be playing nater/green/netolicky at the 4/5...buse has pg locked down...and billy c can be played at sg if i want more boards(bradds/card would play sf) or sf if i want more dimes and 3s(roche/combs would play sg)

overall i really like my team...everyone is over 49 efg%...my boards are elite(especially if i play billy c at sg)...and my starting lineup will probably have about 65 ast% - which is a ton in this league

i feel like this should be a playoff team...but then i remember that ive never done an aba draft before so i have no idea to what to expect, and i got stuck in the waaaay better conference...its gonna be very interesting

thanks for running this cmc...its been awesome and you did a great job
3/6/2015 10:11 PM
Yes, thx cmc. And we'll see if the Stars contend.
3/6/2015 10:29 PM
Okay in this draft who is better DR J or Artis? I'm using DR J at SG to dominate that position pretty much every game. However, Artis dominates the center position and he is by far better than any other big man from what I can tell. Does DR J's 100 defense and over 29 usage give him the edge over Artis in this league. I was really surprised that 98 didn't go for a higher usage player in round 2 to get as dominant scorer as possible to run with Artis.
3/7/2015 12:50 AM
Posted by dh555 on 3/6/2015 10:11:00 PM (view original):
"Mike Green and Bob Netolicky gives additional point presence."

????....both are big men...green was an absolute steal in the 5th...22.2 usg 54.2 efg 11.8 oreb and 64 d

ill be playing nater/green/netolicky at the 4/5...buse has pg locked down...and billy c can be played at sg if i want more boards(bradds/card would play sf) or sf if i want more dimes and 3s(roche/combs would play sg)

overall i really like my team...everyone is over 49 efg%...my boards are elite(especially if i play billy c at sg)...and my starting lineup will probably have about 65 ast% - which is a ton in this league

i feel like this should be a playoff team...but then i remember that ive never done an aba draft before so i have no idea to what to expect, and i got stuck in the waaaay better conference...its gonna be very interesting

thanks for running this cmc...its been awesome and you did a great job
a typo - was suppose to be pAint - (I knew they were bigs.)

I drafted Netolicky in the other league to be my SF - (98%) - think that will work?

appreciate the feed back on running the league - this is TOUGH -
anyone who is commissioner of a league has a LOT of work-

I love the ABA and participating on WIS - and the ABA deal was a natural
I REALLY LOVE smokey's decade league eseries, and this is a couisin of that mind set-

I really felt that the ABA idea would struggle to fill -

3/7/2015 4:42 PM
Posted by vancem on 3/7/2015 12:50:00 AM (view original):
Okay in this draft who is better DR J or Artis? I'm using DR J at SG to dominate that position pretty much every game. However, Artis dominates the center position and he is by far better than any other big man from what I can tell. Does DR J's 100 defense and over 29 usage give him the edge over Artis in this league. I was really surprised that 98 didn't go for a higher usage player in round 2 to get as dominant scorer as possible to run with Artis.
That's a TOUGH question vancem - you seemed to do a great job building around Dr J.

I thought there were several bigs in this league, in spite of the perception that the ABA had no 'aircraft carriers.'

With two leagues running, we will soon find out. Interesting to see if the 2 Dr. J teams do better than the 2 Gilmore teams.

I think its a toss up and a pick that really has no wrong answer -

I'll think it over and holler back with who I would have selected (although my opinion isn't really valuable)
3/7/2015 4:46 PM
1234 Next ▸
ABA Parallel League - EVALS & DISCUSSION Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.