2015 World Rankings Topic

Ah! Very smart. I love this stuff. I could disect these rankings for hours.
3/21/2015 7:58 PM
Posted by gurunick on 3/21/2015 6:57:00 PM (view original):
Thanks for doing this, mchale. Good stuff. I have been secretly working on my own set solo and you've beaten me to the punch. You zigged with your parity score while i zagged... but in the end... they are looking eerily similar. My biggest differences I threw in a few subjective things (blog, active participation/chat/trades, number of seasons in existence, etc.).. Then, I opted for tiers... and anything that fell below an average/baseline world tier... I just ignored. So, I've got basically a top 70 and 15 that fell into an average range. 
Just curious, how would you quantify the blog and chat quality? I know people talk about the world chat as being something they like on a world, but it seems pretty subjective as to what is a good chat and what isn't.

With trades, I'm assuming that you count the number, since assessing the quality would be a gigantic task. But which is better for your rankings, more trades or fewer trades? I think one could make an argument either way.
3/21/2015 10:35 PM
Great stuff.
3/22/2015 8:42 AM
Posted by arcticlegend on 3/21/2015 10:35:00 PM (view original):
Posted by gurunick on 3/21/2015 6:57:00 PM (view original):
Thanks for doing this, mchale. Good stuff. I have been secretly working on my own set solo and you've beaten me to the punch. You zigged with your parity score while i zagged... but in the end... they are looking eerily similar. My biggest differences I threw in a few subjective things (blog, active participation/chat/trades, number of seasons in existence, etc.).. Then, I opted for tiers... and anything that fell below an average/baseline world tier... I just ignored. So, I've got basically a top 70 and 15 that fell into an average range. 
Just curious, how would you quantify the blog and chat quality? I know people talk about the world chat as being something they like on a world, but it seems pretty subjective as to what is a good chat and what isn't.

With trades, I'm assuming that you count the number, since assessing the quality would be a gigantic task. But which is better for your rankings, more trades or fewer trades? I think one could make an argument either way.
Yeah, our chats are pretty busy in MG/Coop.   But quality only comes from me. 
3/22/2015 10:09 AM
Posted by sgmedia on 3/20/2015 3:53:00 PM (view original):
I took over as commish right before the 7, so I guess I can hold my world's head up on that.  Proud that the other world I commish made it to #10, though, that was a pleasant surprise.  

I find it funny that the world that DOESN'T have a MWR that I commish is top ten while the other isn't.  
I haven't been in Caray that long but you have to remember SG that Plague originally ran the world to get GD players involved so turnover, wait times and a learning curve were an expected by-product, a number of football fans like baseball but not necessarily enough to play this game.
3/27/2015 2:43 AM
i think the criteria for rankings should be different... i must truthfully admit that im biased to worlds with themes...as for major lg themed worlds id rank them the majors...american pastime...hot stove...the major leagues ...robert e mcCabe...id take any of these words where you can follow the history of a team that stays the same, perhaps owners change, but teams do not..and what is baseball besides its history...try following that in a world where one year a team is the san jose sharks..next season its the seattle snakes...the next season the SAN FRAN TROLLY CARS...but the most important criteria in any world is its owners...you want a solid group of long term owners, that are friendly but competitive enough to bring life to that world...some drama is okay if things are talked over in a civil way....also big shouts out to negro lg...excellent theme...the minors...if im gonna play in a non themed world...which i do..i play in a public world like Bench......long term owners...fast turnover ...plus the owners their have great chats going
3/27/2015 10:57 AM
Baseball is the game itself.   As is HBD.   History is nice but, as a Yankees fan, I'm not all bent out of shape because they aren't the Highlanders these days. 
3/27/2015 11:11 AM

Speak for yourself Mikey! I was ****** when the Bridegrooms changed their names to the Dodgers! Who does that?! Doesn't anyone have any respect for tradition anymore?!  :)

(Although, I actually agree with russilini in that I prefer worlds that limit movement of teams for that reason. But to each his own. There are so many HBD worlds that you can find one that works for you)

3/27/2015 11:47 AM

I'm not a fan of LA this season, Fresno next season and Sante Fe the season after that.   That's why I have a rule against that(stadium changes once every 5 years, max) but name changes don't bother me.

3/27/2015 11:51 AM
Posted by russilini on 3/27/2015 10:57:00 AM (view original):
i think the criteria for rankings should be different... i must truthfully admit that im biased to worlds with themes...as for major lg themed worlds id rank them the majors...american pastime...hot stove...the major leagues ...robert e mcCabe...id take any of these words where you can follow the history of a team that stays the same, perhaps owners change, but teams do not..and what is baseball besides its history...try following that in a world where one year a team is the san jose sharks..next season its the seattle snakes...the next season the SAN FRAN TROLLY CARS...but the most important criteria in any world is its owners...you want a solid group of long term owners, that are friendly but competitive enough to bring life to that world...some drama is okay if things are talked over in a civil way....also big shouts out to negro lg...excellent theme...the minors...if im gonna play in a non themed world...which i do..i play in a public world like Bench......long term owners...fast turnover ...plus the owners their have great chats going
A lot of the things you mention are pretty difficult to quantify. For example, there's no way to rank a "solid" group of owners. I guess you could count an average of how long the average owner has been in a given world, but that wouldn't tell you a lot. I mean, someone can stick around for 30 seasons and still be terrible at the game. And as I mentioned above, you definitely can't rank chat quality.

Obviously the ranking system that McHale came up with isn't perfect, but I think it does a pretty good job of capturing the important things. And it was a list that didnt take a million years to put together, which is also important.
3/27/2015 5:23 PM
I agree that limited movement is nice -- but it's essentially a cosmetic issue.

I'd rather play in a league that had a quality owner who changed cities every single year (for some insane reason) than a team that changed owners after every season but remained in the same "place."
3/28/2015 9:48 AM
These dudes would change cities every year.

Again, these rankings are nice to determine the "value" of a world based on specific categories that affect competitiveness, turnover and rollerover(among others) but you can't rank "fun" or "enjoyment" or "friendly, lively chat" or whatever else someone likes.   They are just a guideline based on strict numbers.
3/28/2015 11:45 AM
Good rankings.  I see Pine Tar ranked #3 on  the rankings.  We have a close bunch with 14 pages of blogs since Jan 1, 2014 alone and many many before that.  I'm sure there are some other worlds that rival that, right?
3/28/2015 5:21 PM
oh...i love the work put into rankings...and know things i mentioned would be hard to rank...but being able to follow the history of the world by teams staying the same is very special to me...as is a blog...i hate that the worlds im in dont keep up blog...id do it myself, but haven't figured out how..........but history of team records, stats...thats why people know ruth has 714 hrs...mays 660...aaron 755...cy young 511 wins...baseball is a numbers game
3/30/2015 6:18 PM
I'm impressed with the amount of undertaking this must have been. But I'd also like to say that past four seasons is too small a sample size to accurately rank the worlds. I'd say you need to go at least past ten to get a good indication of the best HBD worlds. I realize though that that would be two and a half times the exhorbitant amount of work you did put into it. But then maybe people looking for a league are more interested in what the recent trend is, rather than consistency. :>
4/1/2015 8:36 PM
◂ Prev 123456 Next ▸
2015 World Rankings Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.