DH $52M XLIX Rosters and Comment Topic

Well, the tradition says I have to put reveal what I think about others'  drafting, so I will give it a try. There still are much I don't understand about the game so please correct me whenever I make a mistake.
4/4/2015 3:44 PM
1. pennsylvania - Wilt Chamberlain , Jerry Lucas , Deron Williams, Toni Kukoc, Jose Calderon, Ed Pinckney & Alex English

Well, I just won with 66-67 Wilt so this should be one of the correct picks. If pennsylvania goes with same Wilt, he will get great Oreb%, very good Dreb%, good AST%, workable DEF, and Usage. The toughest thing about this Wilt is that the opponent may need to consider defending him with their best defender given the stellar EFG% with decent Usage, or go with Hack-a-Wilt tactic, if possible. If penn goes with higher usage wilt, they can inflict tremendous damage to the opponent when not properly defended. Which two will join wilt in the 2nd/3rd picks will determine how this team will look.

Penn momentarily considers trading Jerry Lucas for Wes Unseld, but ends up keeping Jerry Lucas. I can't criticize this because this is what I did in last season at 2nd round. Deron Williams is a very good looking PG with high usage, good efg%, 3fgm, and excellent ast%, along with decent defense and good FTM.  He is slightly weak on rebounding, and may turn the ball over, but with Wilt and Lucas, these might not be too much of a worry.

Final impression :  Very good efg% and assists. Good rebounding and foul rate. Is slightly weak in 3PM and FTM. Defense is also questionable. Still, the fg% is so good,  that I am willing to give this team an A .

2. jhsukow - LeBron James, Larry Nance , Buck Williams, Arvydas Sabonis, James Harden, Nic Batum & Dave Cowens

Lebron may be the one of the best players as the 1st pick because he offers incredible amount of flexibility for the team. He may be is most dangerous as great PG who can shoot for excellent EFG% and very good Dreb% and defense, but there are so many other ways to use Lebron and exploit the opponent. This is a "correct pick"

Nance is super defense highly efficient player that gets mixed review from owners due to his utter avoidance of the 3FG, coupled with slightly weak AST%, FTM, and to some, stl%. For ultra defender like Nance, Stl% could have make up for his decent Dreb% and give the team good advantage in possession war as Nance seldom turns the ball over. Sooner or later, jhsukow will pick up another 3FG shooting guard. I am curious to who that may be.

Buck Williams is a high efg% PF who can rebound and/or score depending on the season chosen. He has tendency to get into foul trouble, though.  Which season jhsukow will choose be of a interest.

Final Impression :  Good 3 point shooting team but lacking in assists. The defense is a suspect when Lebron, Cowen, or Nance goes to bench, and may have trouble if two or more of them goes out.  This team may struggle too much when Lebron is on the bench, thus I give it a C.

3. ysw128 - Michael Jordan, Chauncey Billups, Andre Drummond,  Mel Daniels, Kenneth Faried, Bismack Biyombo & Blake Griffin

MJ is definitely someone can consider for the 3rd pick, if that someone has a very good plan in place. MJ can give you anything you want at SG. He can also take care of your PG need if you are willing to deal with tiny position penalty or stock up on 3FGM with other players. It will be interesting to see what the plan is.

By picking Chauncy, and I still remember the furor when Chauncey Billup was picked number 1 overall in this league when the league was still young, ysw kind of confirmed that he will be using the most conventional choice for MJ. The best Chauncey has good defense, excellent ast%, excellent FTM, excellent 3FGM, good usage, low foul, low turnover( which is rather impressive for someone with such high ast%), and plays two position for almost 3000 minutes at very reasonable salary value. He is light on rebounds, but that might not be too much of a concern, given MJ is with him. This is a nice pick.

Drummond is one of the player who stock went up after the latest season. Rate-wise, his 12-13 season may be slightly better, especially with that good defense rate, but despite very big drop in defense, great increase in minutes and small decreases in TO rate and Foul rate will likely mean ysw will choose the 13-14 season. He is a bad FT shooter but that shouldn't be much of problem in this team. Some front court defense help is needed, though.

Mel Daniels is a good usage, decent efg%, great rebounding guy for 3000+ minutes. He does NOT, however, address front court defense needs, and he also fouls at high rate. Ysw may be forced to draft a high salary backup C/PF who can play great defense and do other things.

Final Impression : The team is good at ball control but fouls a lot and lacks the 3PM.  May have minutes/fatigue issue in some positions after an overtime game. The team may have given up too much for good fg% . I am giving it a D.

4. cjok1051 - Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Magic Johnson, Clyde Drexler, Pau Gasol,  Charles Oakley, Russell Westbrook & Robert Horry

By the superficial numbers KAJ is deserving of top 4 pick. KAJ is superior to even  WILT if you want balance of high usage and EFG%. There also are options of good oreb% KAJ and excellent DEF KAJ. KAJ can kill opposing team by himself with his shooting and good FT% if the opposing team can't put a good defender on him. Still, all KAJ seasons have at least one thing you wish it was better, and often SIM doesn't play out by the numbers due to matchup problems and several inherent limitations of its computational algorithm in case multiple stars are in the same team. How the team is built to cover for that shortcoming will be key to this team.

Cjok should get sentimental bonus point for pairing Kareem with Magic. Luckily, this pairing makes sense in this league. Magic gives you usage, high assists, FTM, some Dreb%, and depending on the season, high 3FGM, Oreb%, or surprising combination of efficiency and defense at 3 position. The orthodox position, though, is that Cjok will select the season that has the 3FGM, which would mean he now has both C and PG having less than the stellar defense many owners seek in this league. Of course, Cjok might choose higher oreb% Kareem, something he might need to seriously consider now , or super-defense Kareem, but super-defense Kareem is light on Oreb% which would force Cjok to stock up on Oreb% in other positions. Given the PG available at the 20th pick spot, I believe Cjok did the best possible, and now have to hope PF with good defense and few warts will be available for his 4th and 5th round picks.

Cjok gets a small steal with Clyde Drexler. This might give him a small headache as well, since there are competing versions of the Glide with its own strength and weaknesses. By the rates, his 1300 minute season is the best, but Cjok needs a starter, not a sub. In terms of overall production, I like the 87-88 season, but it don't have much 3 and don't have high efg% most people wants. This leaves his 94-95 FULL season as best choice. It has good 3fgm, decent efg%, very good rebounding for SG, decent ast%, and workable Defense. The problem now, though is that Cjok may have all three guys be near DEF of 70 if he simply goes with the best season. I am thinking He now has even more reason to consider higher oreb% Kareem, or get oreb% from someone else and pick high defense Kareem.

Final Impression : Nice 3pm, ftm, and assists. The defense is a suspect, and fg% is bit low for the league. I am going to give this team a B

5. steelers821 -  Dwight Howard, Mookie Blaylock, Bobby Jones, Larry Sanders, Nate McMillan, Paul Silas & Bobby Phills

DHoward might be one of the most devastating player in this league for the PF spot and he is one of the top 5 choice for the Center spot as well. His weaknesses are high TO, high Foul, Low FT%, and perhaps not being able to play more than 3100 minutes in the regular season, thus his team needs to have a plan for these. Who will complement DHoward at C AND PF spot will be a very important question for this team.

Steeler steals my Mookie away from me and breaks my heart!!!  Mookie's stock has risen after people decided that Mookie's high 3FGM may come with better efg% compared to the next  couple of three point shooting point guards. Mookie gives you good usage, assists, decent rebounding, and good defense as well. Only concern is that he is light on FTA, and his fg% is bit low. Steeler may want to consider DHoward with better Oreb% because of Mookie.

In the 3rd round, Bobby Jones was chosen. Bobby is highly efficient excellent defense player. He is slightly light on the rebounds and FTM.  I suspect that Jones will be used as SF. Since Mookie already solved 3fgm worry, that can be good.

Final impression : Awesome Defense, but foul rate is of big concern. May have usage problems when Dwight Howard is on the bench. I would give this team a C.

6. 98average - Moses Malone, Oscar Robertson, Serge Ibaka, Tree Rollins, Terrell Brandon, Derrick Rose & Dorell Wright

Oreb is very important thus some might even argue Moses is top 5. His value goes further than Oreb as he can be a C or PF, and unlike DHoward, can play more than 3100 minutes. Compared to DHoward, he fouls less and have much better FT% as well. But he trails all the 5 previous picks in EFG% in most of the seasons and many of his best seasons have lower DEF rating as well. 98average may stick with the conventional pick for the Moses's season, but other seasons are worth a look as well. No matter the choice, how 98average exploits the flexibility Moses offers would be interesting.

98average might be going for OReb + FTM heavy team by picking Oscar. If so, he may be better served with the famous triple double Oscar instead of more efficient Osacar. While both of 98average's players command a large salary, they also play great number of minutes, to the degree that they will go out of the game only if they are in foul trouble or the game has became a blowout for someone. Turn overs is a concern for the team, at the moment, though.

By choosing Ibaka, 98average might be weening off FTM, but he is still drafting Oreb heavy team. Ibaka bring excellent defense with high efg% and decent usage, but the minutes might be of concern, unless 98average choose the most recent Ibaka.

Tree is an excellent defensive Center who don't turn balls over, but his usage, foul rate, and minutes have much to be desired. This pick would break the Oreb heavy theme as well. Given the tendency of Oscar and efg% of most of the remaining players to be drafted, I wonder if 98average might have been better served trying to preserve that Oreb heavy theme.

Final Impression : The team really has great number of FTM and isn't too weak in most aspects. I am slightly concerned about minutes at certain position, as if the team gets fatigued due to overtime game or some weird quirks of the simengine, there is a chance that this team has to deal with either some position penalty or play some fatigued player at a position. It is a tough call but I am giving this team a C+ .

7. longtallbrad - Shaquille O'Neal, Marcus Camby, Steve Nash,  Paul Pressey, Billy Cunningham, Jordan Farmar & Dan Gadzuric

Shaq may be even better than Kareem when it comes to balance between high usg% and high EFG% . He even has better Oreb% . Yet some people still prefers Kareem over Shaq. This is because Shaq is more likely to get in to foul troubles and Kareem clearly is superior to Shaq when it comes to FT% . Hack-a-Shaq really would be a legit defense in important situations. Depending on what you want to emphasize, you may have to select Shaq with lower defense, lower Dreb%, lower AST%, or even lower minutes. These things may make you wonder if Shaq is worth the big salary he will command. While best Kareem can give you 3400 minutes at Center,  you probably will end up settling for less than 3200 minutes for Shaq, which would mean you can't simply have the cheapest scrub as your backup center. Still, unless you choose the lower defense Shaq, and there are reasons why you may want to do it, Shaq's problems are manageable and on a decent team in this league, Shaq may put up numbers that is better than everyone else. Choosing the right Shaq and players to get the most out of the Shaq will be a headache for ltb, but done right, he might build a championship contender. If Ltb does well this season, I suspect Shaq may become top 5 pick in the next season.

Marcus Camby is a very good player with very good Dreb%, very good defense, decent assists, good FT%, low TO, low foul, and be able to play two positions. Alongside Shaq, however, you wonder if it might have been better to get someone with more offensive punch and bigger FTM number, making the simengine shift some FTA away from Shaq. His low usage and efg% might make  ltb to consider some high impact backcourt players to boost this team's offense.

It might be of surprise to some, but there actually is two usable seasons for Steve Nash, with one that has more minutes, FTM, Reb, defense(huh?!), and less TO to make up for less efg% and ast%. Both are same efficient Nash with weak defense. Along with Shaq, this may allow Ltb to enjoy a high FG%, but is Camby enough for the defense?

Ltb knew he needed defense at the guards and it is hard to get better than Paul Pressey for it. Pressey also has the rebounds and FTM from the guard position as well. This pick, though might force ltb to go with higher efg% seasons for other picks. TO at the guard position also is becoming a small concern, but at this point in draft, there isn't much you can do about it unless you sacrifice something else.

Final Impression : That Billy Cunningham pick will really reverberate if it works out.  Having Billy gives this team good balance in all positions, with good usage, rebounds and assists. But this team has bad TO and foul rate as well due to Billy. I am going to give this team a B- .

8. uptowngbv - Karl Malone,  DeAndre Jordan, Anthony Davis, Kawhi Leonard, Charlie Ward, Dirk Nowitzki & Jon Barry

Karl Malone gives you high usage very good EFG% PF who can hit the free throws and the likely choice for the season will not turn the ball over much, nor get in too many foul troubles. He even has good AST% season usable. Still, his Oreb% is something to be desired of for being a top 5 PF. Like all 7 picks before, this is a good safe pick, but the real question is who will be beside him at the front court.

DeAndre may now ask us ask " Which Jordan?" with his excellent 13-14 season. It has high efg%, high rebounding, decent defense, good TO number, and flexibility of C and PF.  Since the mailman can't play SF, uptowngbv now has his two front court guy set, and DeAndre do complement Karl Malone nicely. It is a good pick, and perhaps a small steal .

So, uptown picked Anthony for his SF?  He would be a high impact player in both end. Trouble is his minutes. Also, uptown needs to start thinking about someone to give him some 3fgm.

Kawhi Leonard's number at SG are so good, that if he played for 3000 minutes with slightly higher usage, some might even consider him for 2nd round pick. Kawhi gives uptown some much needed 3 while keeping up defensive pressure and good efg%. This team now is pretty set on dreb as well. Still, who's going to pass and shoot more 3fgm?

Final Impression : good fg% and excellent ball control. Usage is a concern when Malone is on the bench, and ast% is also a concern when Ward in on the bench. The team is light on FTM as well. Still the team's defense is good so I am willing to give this team a B.

9. slymonium -  David Robinson, Manu Ginobili, Joakim Noah, Gerald Wallace, Tracy McGrady, Anderson Varejao & Jason Terry

Since everyone left has their share of warts, DRob is one of the few safe picks left who don't have too big a wart to be of a problem. Like most of the picks before this, DRob let's you remain flexible, with good usage, good EFG%, workable reb%s, excellent defense, and he also hits his free throws as well. The problem is, all of his good numbers are slightly lower than many of the 8 that was picked before him, thus DRob often struggle to get his numbers against them. One dilemma Sly may have is that DRob has two good choice for his season, one as normal full time starter, but the other, while having shorter minutes, has one of the best value per salary in the league. By choosing slightly lower reb%s, you can gain great flexibility salary cap wise. Slym will have to make some tough decisions, but he, just like the 8 before him, do have chance to make a championship contender with the right decisions.

Somebody is going on Spurs theme. Ginobili is a high usage good efg% guy who can hit the 3fg, give decent rebounding, ast%, and defense, while playing multiple position. He is bit light on the minutes, but that can be managed.

Sly slyly picksup Noah, who will give out great number of AST at PF position. This will let him have more freedom to experiment with PG position.

I actually like Gerald Wallace pick here. Since Noah gives you enough assists, sly can experiment with Ginobili-Wallace backcourt and enjoy the great rebounds and ftm without much hassle. Wonder who Sly will go for the 5th pick.

Final Impression : Lack of minutes is a concern, but average usage situation is good, and the team makes lots of free throws. The team also picked up good reserve players, and don't have a weakness that really stands out. I am going to give this team A-.

10. jt7king - Dennis Rodman, Alonzo Mourning, Chris Webber,  Derek Harper, Reggie Miller, Yao Ming & Paul Westphal

Should we be surprised that Rodman was picked 10th? I think not, because having Rodman means you have to use at least two of the starters to address Rodman's shortcoming, low usage. While the greatest benefit of the best Rodman season is using him to get excellent rebounding at SF position, that would also mean you have to also get some 3PM from other players somehow . While Rodman has many positives, he will significantly reduce the flexibility in other positions, and that can kill a team if it is forced to pick players with many warts in 4th and 5th rounds. Now if Rodman's best season isn't picked, he can let you recover some flexibility by being an excellent bargain compared to his salary cap figure. Some of his less than 7 million dollar seasons can offer minutes or monster rebounding as less than 32minutes a game SF. His 2nd most expensive season is a bargain for such a monster rebounder playing 2900+ minutes, but alas, it is a PF only season. There is no doubt that Rodman is a devastating player when used properly, but he is doomed to be more of a helper than a finisher or a hero, thus we need to see which scorers will join him and let Rodman be part of a winner.

Zo complements Rodman nicely with his high usage and good efg%. He also brings in good defense as well. This team will soon need to think about assists, though.

jt7king picks up another good offense front court player in Chris Webber who can also give him some ast as well. The concern is whether he has picked up too much foul from his front court players. Zo and Webber slightly diluted the rebounding power of the team as well. I wonder if he may have been better served drafting another dominating rebounder. Still, other than fouls and FT%, the numbers look good.

There is two usable season for Derek Harper, one 3000+ minutes, the other being near 2550 minutes. While the shorter version is more efficient, the longer one will provide better stability. Tough decision awaits jt7king.

Final Impression :  This team is relying too much on Dennis Rodman for rebounding and foul rate is of concern. I don't see much strength for the team, so I am going to give this team a D.

11. hoopsdude -Charles Barkley, Shawn Kemp, Tom Boerwinkle, Darrell Armstrong, Andre Iguodala, Kenny Anderson & Rudy Gay

Barkley is a player that will give the owner headaches, because there are so many options. Some of his best season has SF% of 99% thus it is tempting to use him as SF, if you don't mind that tiny drop in already low defense. His PF seasons, however, have better rebounding and defense. It even has better AST%. Depending on the choice, you may need to worry about high fouls or turn overs. So go with 99% SF? Well, then you now need to get some 3FGM from other players since Sir Charles shoots below 30% for the 3FGA. There is no doubt Charles Barkley can give you awesome numbers, and his value-over-replacement may be as great as Shaq due to possibility of playing Barkley at SF, but you need to be very careful in making sure you have the players to cover up Barkley's flaws. If Barkley's flaws can be covered up nicely by other players, then this team can contend for the title.

Shawn Kemp continues the good efg%, high rebounding theme for the team along with excellent defense. I would start to get worried about turn overs and fouls for the team, though.

Hoopsdude picks up a player that has always been an enigma to me, the might Boerwinkle. Boerwinkle has great dreb%, very good ast% for a  C, also some stl, ft%, and even some 3fgm. But he is light on minutes, mediocre in defense, and has bit of foul trouble. All the players selected so far have great rebound numbers, but TO and fouls are now of great concern for the team. I also wonder whether Kemp is enough to handle the defensive load of the team.

Darrell Armstrong's best season has very good ast%, good usage, and good 3fgm number. It also has very high stl%, but I don't know how much that can help given that Armstrong's defense rate isn't very high. His TO rate is of concern as well, which is now a big problem for this team.

Final Impression : This team turns the ball over too much and two of the team's best rebounder has slight minutes issue. It has some strength as well. I am going to give this team a C+

12. amerk1180 - Chris Paul, Scottie Pippen, Julius Erving, Gheorghe Muresan & Gus Johnson, Harry Gallatin & Kyle Korver

CP3 is probably best pure PG available for this league. He has assists, workable 3FGM, decent EFG%, and workable Dreb%, along with very good defense and FTM. He can hurt your opponents' PGs in multiple ways. If only his SG% was also 100% and EFG% little bit higher.... His best season has high usage, and pairing that with less than 55% EFG% is worrisome to many owners of this league. He also won't get to the line as much as the real life number. and these things will make some owners wonder if it is of better value to consider his cheaper season. Despite all these things, CP3 having those defense, rebounding, A/T ratio, low foul, 3FGM, and minutes is hard to overlook, and to do better, you would need to look at LBJ or MJ. This team will need a plan for the SG, since it is a risk to make CP3 cover SG spot, but as long as good plan exists for SG, there are much options available. Done right, this team can be a exciting winner.

With a trade, amerk creates a formidable backcourt combo with suffocating defense, High usage, and high STL%. If this was a real life league, this is the team people will pay good money to watch, as this is one of the dream combo for an uptempo/press team. However, he now has several things to worry about. None of the three has that 55+% EFG% many owners seek. He now needs to worry about high TO number from his 2nd round picks, and unless he abandon the conventional choice for the season and pick high 3FGM seasons for CP3 and Pippen, he is slightly light on 3FGM. Most worrying of all may be the salary cap, as there three will eat up more than half the salary cap. He  have to hope that a couple of high value for salary cap front court players drops into his laps when 6th round starts.

Final Impression : Harry Gallatin kills this team's FG% and the team might have a fatigue problem after an overtime game. The team got good rebounds in ALL positions, though. This team also makes free throws and isn't that bad in most other areas.  I would give this team C+

13. vancem - Kevin Durant, Bill Walton, Robert Parish,   Brent Barry, Grant Hill, Clifford Ray & Rodrigue Beaubois

KD is someone I always have mixed feeling about. His 3FGM, high usage with 55+% EFG%, High FTM, low fouls, and possibility of using 99% at SG makes him very tempting, but you always worry about his low Oreb% . KD will require you to give up much flexibility in order to cover for his weakness. This may be why KD has fallen behind player like Charles Barkley in this draft league. Still, there aren't many who can give you the production KD can at this point, so this is a good pick.  Vancem almost always makes a team that looks good on the stat table. It will be interesting to see what he will do to make people fear KD.

Bill Walton brings the defense and rebounding to this team along with good offense. Nice pick

Robert Parish fits very well into narrative of no miss=no oreb needed with good usage and high efg%. He also brings in good rebounding as well. I was surprised that some others didn't pick him. May be Parish's weak defense in his most expensive seasons scared them off. If vancem gets some defense for the guards, his team should be very good. Vancem, however, went for the best production rate, instead of overall production, and picks up Parish who is very strong defensively. The minute might be a concern, as well as higher foul rate, but when he is on the floor, this team can be scary.

Brent Barry is a highly efficient guard who can play 3 positions, and gives you quality scoring, including 3fgm without much warts, except his defense isn't stellar. Choosing Brent made me wonder if Vancem was actually planning to draft another front court player who can give out much assists. While Brent Barry goes well with the theme "won't miss the shots", he and KD don't form a  highly defensive duo at backcourt. Vancem will need to do something about this as well.

Final Impression : I just don't see much of an weakness in this team, and its rebounding is good. If Grant Hill does the job to justify him having 2nd highest salary in this team, this team would be my pick to win the championship. I give this team an A.

14. sixernuggets -Larry Bird, Tyson Chandler, Mark Price, Walt Bellamy,  Nick Anderson, Chris Andersen & Earl Watson

Larry Bird resembles Kevin Durant in many ways but there are key differences. Bird is harder to use at SG spot, and has lower 3FGM number. He will likely force you to use him at SF, which makes you worry about low Oreb% Bird has. Still, Bird has better Dreb%, AST%, A/T ratio, and depending on the season, better DEF rating as well. It is no accident that they went side-by-side in this draft. At this point in the draft, almost everyone left has a weakness or two that must be covered up by his teammates. It will be interesting to see how this team accentuates Bird's strength while protecting Bird's weaknesses .

Tyson is low on usage, but is great on rebounding and EFG%. If sixernuggets choose the conventional pick for Tyson season, however, he now needs to worry about the fact that Tyson can't play for more than 2700 minutes. 

Mark Price is a high efficient clean PG that gives you the 3fgm and the ast at low fouls. His only problem is that he is weak in defense. So far sixernugget has kept up high efg% theme. He may need a defensive guard to complement Price.

Having Tyson, sixer needed some offensive punch at front court. That can be addressed with 61-62 Walt Bellamy, especially since Tyson can cover the defense for Walt. Still, this choice would mean sixernugget may not be picking the most intriguing season for the Walt, the 71-72. 71-72 season has lower number in many categories, but has higher fg%, lower TO, and lower fouls as well. Considering that 61-62 Walt may often be in foul trouble, it may be argued that 71-72 is actually better value for the salary. This is a team that can go either way. The next pick might decide its fate.

Final Impression : This teams shoots the 3 pointers very well but rest depends on how well Walt Bellamy plays. I am going to give this team a C+ .

15. dh555 - Artis Gilmore, Donyell Marshall, Kevin Love, Terry Porter,  Doug Christie, Jameer Nelson & Jeff Ruland

Artis Gilmore is a very good player that can still give the owner who picked him, ulcers. The season I like the best has less usg%, EFG%, Oreb%, and more fouls compared to the 2nd best season. If I want the best value for the salary, I might consider his 60+% EFG% seasons, especially since it is likely that his most expensive seasons will play less than his real life minutes due to foul troubles.  His Turn over numbers are slightly high as well. He will leave you wishing one or two of the numbers to be just a bit better. Still, at this point in draft, you can't find any other rebounder with good usage and excellent EFG% like Artis Gilmore. Thus, this pick continues the string of good picks to start the league. I have not yet seen any pick that isn't workable yet by the 15th pick.

DH555 goes the conventional route for the solution to the "SF problem" . Donyell Marshall is one of the few players that gives you 20+% for dreb with 100+ 3FGM.  He plays cleanly, decent eFG%, decent Oreb% as well and isn't too expensive. What is worrisome is that the conventional choice would mean Donyell won't play more than 2700 minutes at the SF which would mean good backup SF will be needed.

Kevin Love is someone that can only work in this kind of team where he is sandwiched against two players with good defense. He may be getting more love with his 190 3fgm season, but I am actually of opinion that his 32.3% dreb% season is better.  No matter which season dh555 chooses, he will eventually need to consider someone decent for backup sf/pf .

Terry Porter is a clean efficient PG who gives you many thing except for defense. While that will allow this team to continue the high efg% theme, I might consider drafting for defense soon.

Final Impression : probably best 3 point shooting team in the league, but Kevin Love does leave a gaping hole at the defense.  Not much weakness and good ball control. I am giving this team a B+

16. eleibowitz - Dwayne Wade, Elton Brand, Horace Grant, Anthony Mason, Brandon Rush, Al Horford & Shane Battier

If you want Defense at the PG position, then DWade is the best. He gives you many things including 3FGM, FTM, and has decent Oreb% for someone at PG. He will solve usage problem in almost any team, and will also give you workable AST% as well. The big problem is, he will shoot too much for you to take advantage of high EFG% players you have, forcing you to consider loading up on Oreb% or doing other things to adjust for it. Eleibowitz may need a lucky break in order to build a contender, but if he can get one, and chance is likely that he will get at least one this draft season, he can build a contender everyone will fear. In addition to the obvious full time starter choice for the season, there also is a smaller minute season that has surprisingly good value with respect to salary . If things doesn't go as planned, it might be worth taking a peak at the cheaper season, in hope that that will give enough salary room to draft someone to adjust for any problem that may happen.

eleibowitz chooses another high usage high defense player in the 2nd round. His likely choice will give him good oreb at SF position as well. Still, this means that the SG he will choose will probably be someone that makes more than 100 3FGM , unless he can choose a PF that shoots good amount of 3FGA. Which route will he take?

Having two high usage guy, eleibowitz chooses someone that should have been chosen earlier. Having Elton Brand, eleibowitz  may have the luxury of playing Grant at PF . This pick somewhat boosts this team's efg% and make it easier to deal with all the misses Wade will have.

With Anthony Mason pick, I start to wonder if Grant will start at C.  Mason's best season is nice at PF, except you usually want someone with more oreb% there. Oreb% is especially important for this team with Wade, which makes me wonder if eleibowitz will choose higher oreb% season for Brand instead of the other slightly more efficient season. Mason pick does free up some ast% need, so this team now needs a guard who can shoot the 3fgm and also haul in some Oreb. Wonder who that can be.

Final Impression :  This is a puzzling team . When Wade is out, the team has some position balance issue, usage issue, will lack FTM, and the team has overall rebound problem. The team has very good TO and foul rate though. I just don't think this team has good enough dreb% and stl% to win the possession battle. I am giving it a D

17. scudmissle - Tim Duncan, Kobe Bryant, Wes Unseld, Jerry West, Bo Outlaw, Jamaal Tinsley & Andrew Bogut

It is slightly hard to say which is the best season to use for Tim Duncan. You can get slightly better stat in one field if you sacrifice another.  The best thing about him is combination of high usage, excellent defense, good Dreb%, with decent AST% at the PF position. He also shoots and make Free Throws, and have workable TO and Foul numbers. Due to the nature of this league, one of his most efficient season can't be considered since it is a mere 2000 minute season, but his other seasons are good and let you preserve flexibilities for future round.  It can be argued that his number isn't as dominating as those that were picked earlier, except for his defense number, but still, at 17th, I doubt there are many other choices better than Duncan for the PF spot.

Kobe's stock fluctuates wildly from each game. He gives you usage, defense, FTM, 3FGM, some AST, and even some rebounds at SG, and may be also PG position. However, this move probably will force scudmissle to abandon hope for building very high EFG% team. His next few picks will tell us, whether he will still aim for high efg%, or will try to accentuate other strengths.

In order to make up for Kobe's wild shooting, scud picks up highly efficient Wes Unseld, knowing that Unseld's weak defense can be covered by the first two, and also that the first two has given him great flexibility usage-wise. Unseld gives him very good rebounding and good assists for almost 3000 minutes. The version scud will use also features high efg% as well. Still I think scud might have been happier if someone else with better oreb numbers was available.

Scud drafts another high FTM guard in Jerry West. West is great player with defense, some assist, 3fgm, and other things, but I can't help wonder if scud might have been better served with a guard with even higher efg%.

Final Impression : The team has good players for each position and has plenty of assists. I don't see much strength in other areas though. Defense and rebounding is good but I am concerned about TO and foul. I will have to give this team a D+

18. mikee1 - John Stockton, Anfernee Hardaway, Patrick Ewing, Andrew Bynum, Emeka Okafor, Josh Smith & Cory Alexander

This pick slightly surprised me, as I usually expected couple of more rebounders to be picked, but that may be old news given the recent emphasis on good Defense, Assists, 3FGM, and EFG% in the Guard spot. This is as good a pick as any so far.  Stockton also is cheaper than most of the players so far, which would give this team some salary cap room as well. Too bad his best season can't play more than 3000 minutes, though. If mikee1 can get some good rebounders in future rounds, he can build a formidable contender.

mikee1 shores up the guard position with Penny. This will give him 2 guards who can AST, shoot the 3FG, defend, and score often with high efficiency . Still, he now needs to worry about rebounding more. If stl% has more impact on the sime-game compared to now, mikee may not need to worry that much about Dreb, but sadly, stl% is one of the stats that don't have much an impact to the simengine result: It is more for "decorations".  There are couple of good rebounders left, but as time passes, they will have more and more warts.

Patrick Ewing is a High scoring center with good defense and good efg% along with good ft% and FTM, He is slightly lighter on reb% and his TO and fouls are of slight concern. I wonder if mikee1 believes he can overlook oreb% by going for high efg%.

Final Impression : The team has good defense and don't foul much. I am concerned with lack of rebound from Guard and SF position when Josh Smith is on the bench.  Patrick Ewing is bit light on rebounds for the league, but he has to play big minutes. Because of it, I am giving this team a C+

19. copernicus - Stephen Curry, Dikembe Mutombo, Willis Reed, Ron Harper, Paul Pierce, Michael Smith & Carlos Boozer

I have to say this is the first head scratcher of the draft. Steph gives you lots and lots of 3FGM, enough that you don't need to worry about this for the rest of the draft, will shoot for very good EFG% at high usage, and his best season gives you good AST% as well.  Still, he has lower defense compared to almost all the guys drafted so far, and his best season will probably go less than 2900 minutes in the season, which will make it necessary that a good back or plan for the time Curry is on the sideline will be needed. Also in need of consideration is that many of the usual suspects for the 1st rounders are still available. If Copernicus can take good advantage of Curry's strength and build a contender around him, the Earth will move under this league, making more owners try out something new for this league. Copernicus probably will need to get lucky at least once to build a strong contender around Curry, but since almost everyone will get at least one chance to nab a steal in this league, making a winning team is very possible. Let's see if Copernicus can break apart some of the dogma many of us followed in this league.

Copernicus tries to defend his 1st round decision by picking one of the best defensive center available . Mutombo has excellent defense, very good rebounds, and very good EFG% as well. He is slightly light on FTM, and he would probably want a high usage front-court-mate. Given the circumstances, I think copernicus made a good pick here.

Copernicus breaks my heart by stealing Willis Reed right in front of me. Reed chips in greatly with rebounding and defense, and he also gives an offensive punch at the front court. This team can be good.

Ron Harper might not be the best choice for SG in many teams, but this is clearly one case where Ron Harper is a great fit. He can cover up for Stephen Curry's weak defense and chip in at almost all stats nicely. The version I would pick for this team don't have much 3fgm, but with Curry, that isn't too much of a concern.

Final Impression : other than 3 pointer, I don't see anything that stands out in this team. I am giving it a D

20. maglor1 - Gary Payton, Andrei Kirilenko, Rajon Rondo, Bob Lanier, Alvin Robertson, Hot Rod Williams, Oliver Miller

1st round was traded away for a crazy experiment. Let's see if it will work.

2nd round was traded away, and maglor is now MADlor. He must be crazy, senile, or both.

With his first pick, madlor picked someone with bloated salary cap and bad FG%.  At least he won't have to be too worried about getting the needed 3FGM.

AK48. That will give madlor more defense but will further kill fg% .  oreb% will be of a concern.

Rondo?! Madlor shouldn't bring his love of classical music into the drafts. Rondo don't have 3fgm, is not the extremely high efg% madlor needs. He does have some ast%, though.

Madlor probably is one of the very few who would even entertain thought of using Bob Lanier in this league. Lanier's efg% isn't that high, he has low oreb%, and he fouls a lot for a full time starter. At least he shoots some 3fgm and gives some assists, but madlor don't need more assists, and he can't get into that high assist bonus range. This will be ugly.

Alvin Robertson can steal the ball, but isn't stl% useless with the simengine? another stupid pick.

Final Impression : Absolutely horrible team. For defense, everything else was sacrificed. This team deserves an F.

21. thomcat - Bill Russell, Kevin McHale, Walt Frazier, Amare Stoudemire, Charlie Edge, Micheal Ray Richardson & Danny Green

Many commentators repeatedly said that Russell's DEF rating is too low compared to his real life impact. I agree and do with his DEF be raised by 8 or more points for most of his season, given the playing style and pace of the time. If Russell's DEF rating was 10 points higher, due to his excellent rebounding numbers, great amount of minutes, decent AST%, good FTA, workable TO and Foul numbers, and that he can be your PF, Russell may be drafted in top 12. Now, Russell do have some weaknesses, namely low EFG%, low FT%, and, depending on situation, low usage% .  If his EFG% and FT% were 10% higher, he might be a top 10 pick in this league, but it isn't which means thomcat will need to draft many players with high usage AND EFG% to hide Russell. He will also need at least one other high Oreb% player to pick up many of Russell's misses. There are many seasons worth considering for Russell, with one season being of very high value compared to the salary figure. Thomcat might want to take a peak at the 7 million dollar Russell or other Russell seasons if his initial plan breaks down due. One of ongoing debate in this league is Russell vs Ben Wallace. Perhaps we may have some good answers to the many questions in this debate this season.

Thomcat might be going for Boston flavor by picking Mchale. Mchale will greatly lessen worries about usage and efficient scoring. Mchale plays very clean game for 3000+ minutes with very good defense. He is bit light on reb%, though, especially Dreb%. Still since Russell has 30+% Dreb% seasons, having Russell - Mchale C-PF combo might work. OR, thomcat might put McHale at SF, swallowing the 97% for SF, and hope the McHale is still worth his salary numbers even with position penalty. Who thomcat will draft for SF will tell us what the plan is.

Walt Frazier is the guy madlor should have picked instead of Rondo. Frazier gives you everything you can ask for in guard position. In fact, why wasn't he picked higher?

Amare Stoudemire means that McHale will play SF and swallow those penalties. Frankly, I think it is better option for McHale to be played at PF after picking very good rebounder who can also play SF, and also be picked later than his usual slot to account for his lack of rebounds compared to typical PF in the league, but if thomcat can make this work, then I would need to be spanked. Still, I would be concerned that both C and PF would have below 80 defense. Amare don't give you great number of Oreb, which would reduce the gain thomcat would get from having McHale at SF. Frazier may not be good enough to make up for it. I actually wonder whether it may have been better for thomcat to pick Marques Johnson instead of Frazier and gambled that good rebounding+assist PG be available for his 4th or 5th round pick. Using Marques would maximize McHale's strength, and with Russell, the overall rebounding picture would be better than this current trio.

Final Impression : This team makes lots of free throws and has many players that rebounds in all positions. Lacks 3fgm and guards have tendency to turn the ball over though.  McHale gives this team good fg%. I will give this team a B+ .

22. jkaye24 - Ben Wallace, Kevin Garnett, Sidney Moncrief,  Kevin Johnson, Dan Roundfield, Vince Carter & Ryan Anderson

If you want defense and rebounds without the misses, TO, and fouls, Ben Wallace is one of the best option. He used to be picked much earlier, since he rarely loses the game for you, but owners may have soured up on his low usage, low FT numbers, and low AST%. Everything about him suggests he is cleaner, slightly lighter version of Dennis Rodman, being constrained to be a supporter.  His strength and cleanness can be a good foundation of a winning team, but jkaye24 will need to hope that good usage+good EFG% players are available for the next few rounds, in order to cover up for all the offensive shortcomings of Big Ben. Jkaye might have gotten the first steal of this draft, but that will depend upon who he will get in 2nd and 3rd round.

jkaye24 might be going for good defense, good rebound team by picking KG. I think his best option is to use KG's SF season, even though that might not be KG's best season purely by the numbers. While playing KG do lessen usage, FTM. and ast% worries, Jkaye24 now may need to worry about EFG%.  Will there be someone available at 3rd or 4th round to relieve this worry, or will jkaye24 will bolster up other stats to build up a winner?

Sidney Moncrief is someone people in this league is ambivalent about. He plays both guard position and rebounds well enough to occasionally back up SF position in emergency, with good FTM, defense, usage, efg%, TO rate, and foul rate. He doesn't usually shoot the 3FGM, nor has high ast%, which reduces the flexibility in team building, thus many owners shy away from him. While jkaye bravely picked Moncrief, he may now have little 3fgm from SF and SG position, meaning he has to select PG with very high 3FGM AND AST%. There may not be that many left. The other option is to play KG at PF, but that decreases the value of KG. Moncrief is a good player, but I am doubting whether he fits into this team.

Kevin Johnson's best season don't shoot the 3FGM well, which means jkaye needs to consider 96-97 season, which might be KJ's 3rd best season.  This season has high ast% , ftm, good efg% and good usage, but is weak in defense.  Jkaye may now seriously need to consider using KG at PF, or make one of these four picks play as the 6th man.

Final Impression : I don't like the overall SF picture for this team. Ben Wallace and most of the reserves has too low usage points. The team don't turn the ball over much, but its FG% is low, and Vince Carter is a problem in many ways. I have to give this team an F.

23. iccoachb - Jason Kidd, Hakeem Olajuwon,  Chris Mullin, Ray Allen, Troy Murphy, Roy Tarpley & Joe Dumars

Jason Kidd's stock goes up and down from season to season. His most popular season gives you excellent 3FGM, EFG%, AST%, and has good defense and Dreb% as well. It is very light on usage and FTA, and given the surge in high usage guards in this league, this might be why player like Stephen Curry is taken before Kidd. Still, his most expensive season is very intriguing as that has usage, some Oreb%, some FTM, and better defense at much more minutes. If that season had EFG% that is about 5% higher, Kidd might become top 10 pick in this league. Other Kidd season may offer even better Rebounding at guard position, or better value per salary compared to the most popular season. Since it is unlikely that a high usage Kidd will be chosen, iccoachb will need to pick a high usage efficient guard within top 5 to complement Kidd, and/or players with high FTM values as well, Time will tell whether iccoachb has a winner or not.

Hakeem's biggest problem is that he played against many great center of our time, thus had high foul rate. This foul rate is of great problem as it is hard to get the best Hakeem to play the full 3200+ minutes due to foul troubles. If Hakeem can be made to avoid foul troubles and get some help with Oreb, then iccoachb may have a good contender at his hand. The question is, who will join these two good defense players, and which season iccoachb will choose for them.

Chris Mullin is a player that may even get 1st round consideration if his defense value was more than 80 and has slightly lower TO. He offers decent rebounding at SG with very high efg% and high usage. He makes large number of FTM which increases his value. In many drafts I tried to have him only to have him stolen right in front of me. In this team, Mullin will be a great fit.

I have to say picking Ray Allen ruined a promising start for this team, perhaps for good. Ray Allen, on his own, is an excellent shooting guard with lots of 3fgm at high efg%. He has low defense, which is why some owners can't take him. In this team, however. this pick leaves iccoachb without sufficient rebounding power. One of the three guards picked so far may be a backup, but if so, that is a big waste of spot, as good rebounders will be even harder to pick in the next round.

Final Impression :  I'm sorry but I just don't understand this team. It has too many minutes, bad fg%, lots of 3 PM, lacks FTM, fouls a lot, and has weak defense. This team might not even win 10 games. I have to give this team an F.

24. banditone - Bob McAdoo , Shawn Marion, Marques Johnson, Maurice Cheeks, Fat Lever,  J.R. Smith & Chris Gatling

Banditone goes to shore up EFG% with good Dreb% . Bob McAdoo is one of the few good usage good EFG% center left, who can also play PF, have good dreb%,  and decent Turn over and foul numbers. Unlike many other centers, he hits his free throws as well. But his defense and oreb% is slightly lacking for your front court player worth 9+ million .  Purely by the production, Shawn Marion's best season may be his most expensive season. The trouble is, that season isn't 100% at SF, and is slightly lacking in Oreb% and defense. It is no wonder most people choose his SF season that has better defense and arguably better value over replacement when you take into account the position rating and the salary.  I don't yet know whether banditone will use McAdoo at PF or C, but he has a good flexibility due to McAdoo's good usage, and has already established good dreb for the team. If he gets some Orebs and ast while preserving good EFG%, then this team can be very good.

Marques Johnson is a player I like, but raises many questions in this team. Marques is best used as SF, and that would make Marion move to SG, forcing him to take some position penalty. Or is Banditone planning of using Marion's PF season? Marion's PF season do have excellent number, but conventional wisdom in this case would be to take another strong rebounder at C or PF position. If banditone is pursuing idea of going rebound heavy with Marion at SG, then I wonder who the other front court player can be. Marques actually has two great seasons to consider. Having Marion OR Marques at SG might make it possible for choosing the better shooting yet underrated season for Marques.

Maurice Cheeks is a very efficient Guard who has problem with rebounding and 3fgm . This team will need one more 3fgm shooter in the starter, but that will now make it harder to have SF and SG spots occupied by Marion and Marquis. I wonder is banditone is an M .........

Final Impression ; Banditone did well considering his draft position. He has good usage and fg% in all positions if you not consider Fat Lever who is there for everything except for efg%.  This team lacks an dominant rebounder, but players like Fat may make up for it. While the team has somethings to be desired of, considering the draft position, I will give the banditone's draft an A. ( Team grade is B+ )

4/21/2015 10:04 AM (edited)
I'd just like to reserve a pg1 spot for thoughts
4/4/2015 8:11 PM
I love the evals thus far! Very intuitive!
4/5/2015 3:40 AM
Any thoughts on the first big trade of the draft?
4/5/2015 7:59 PM
Posted by cjok1051 on 4/5/2015 7:59:00 PM (view original):
Any thoughts on the first big trade of the draft?
I am not a neutral party to the trade, thus can't comment.
4/5/2015 8:18 PM
Clearly... ;-)
4/5/2015 8:23 PM
Posted by cjok1051 on 4/5/2015 8:23:00 PM (view original):
Clearly... ;-)
I don't like the move you got a late 1st for a second and third. Your 3rd best player wil be a 4th rounder and I don't thin a low 1st rounder can make up for that
4/6/2015 8:48 AM
Take into consideration it's a late 2nd I'm giving up, and getting an early 4th.
4/6/2015 1:18 PM
Not saying u can't draft a good team just saying I think that you didn't increase your chances of building a good team
4/6/2015 2:02 PM
Is there really any debate over which Mailman season to use?
4/6/2015 2:20 PM
Posted by uptowngbv on 4/6/2015 2:20:00 PM (view original):
Is there really any debate over which Mailman season to use?
While there is one particular season I like best from the Mailman, his other seasons may give you better EFG%, better REB%, more minutes, or perhaps better value for the salary, thus if the next few rounds don't work out as hoped, then it might warrant taking a peak at his other seasons. I think it is 95% likely you will stick with the best season, but when I was writing my observation, I didn't want to sound as if I knew for certain which season you will pick.
4/6/2015 3:14 PM
You're not sure if Durant is worth a first round pick?
4/6/2015 7:06 PM
Posted by jt7king on 4/6/2015 7:06:00 PM (view original):
You're not sure if Durant is worth a first round pick?

Going purely by value over replacement for typical 3FG shooting SG/SF role, Durant is worth early 1st round, if he can produce his real life numbers. The trouble is, other owners of this league likes to draft good rebounders in the 1st and 2nd round, which may leave you with poor choices for your main rebounders for the team. Durant will probably end up with much fewer FTA compared to his real life numbers, and he may also struggle with defensive rebounding in this league that has heavy rebounding emphasis. These factors makes it harder for you to plan for the team, and I think those who would like to build rebound + defense heavy team may choose to skip Durant in the 1st round. If you have a plan to cover for the oreb% and defense at SF or SG, then Durant is a very good first round pick. If you picked Durant purely for his value over replacement for SG position without having good plans to make up for the weakness, you may quickly get into trouble. Because of Durant's weaknesses, it is relatively easier for other owners to guess which players you are looking for in 3rd and 4th round. Therefore, Durant is a good 1st round pick, but only if you are an experienced owner of this league. I hope vancem will enlighten me about how to build a contender around Durant with his future picks.

4/6/2015 7:30 PM (edited)
I'll be happy to enlighten you pal as I have won 3 titles in this league and also taken 2nd place twice. A few of my other teams have won their divisions. There is a plan already in place to cover for Durant's weaknesses. Trust me on that one.

What's wrong with an SG at 99% whose defensive rating is 78? I think that all players in this league have much fewer FTA than in RL. Durant;s defensive rebounding number is 18.9. His offensive rebounding number sucks. But if you draft a team that makes most of its shots than offensive rebounds aren't as important. You may not have known this but I am an experienced owner in this league.
4/6/2015 8:11 PM
1|2|3...8 Next ▸
DH $52M XLIX Rosters and Comment Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.