Remember when..... Topic

Recruiting was really fun when there were no sims. Warner D-III used to be great. mojolad was there for a while in the CC. I remember picking the worst team in the worst conference, and building it into a NC team. I won the first NC anyone ever won at Amherst in any world. I remember for a couple years I had four teams and never missed a recruiting cycle. I would get up in the middle of the night and recruit just before the 3am cycle, then wait for it, and recruit after, then go back to bed. snake_p used to know so much about the game, and I would read his every post, and sitemail him for hints. I remember the awful day, I had a team that should have won the NC, and the code changed. I was still ahead of a team I whipped in the OOC part of the schedule, but then they resimmed the first half, and I was losing, but didn't know and didn't adjust, and lost in the first round. That was when I left, in spirit, played out the seasons I was in, and left. JConte was such an incompetent ***. When they mess with recruiting again, I will probably leave again, for good. But I am glad I came back, PSAC in Leahy is awesome. bkfraser, if you do come back, pass through D-III as fast as you can, and get in a conference with a few guys, and try it out. It doesn't suck!
4/11/2015 10:16 PM
Posted by bullfrog333 on 4/10/2015 11:38:00 PM (view original):
  • I remember when I used to get upset when coaches jumped on "my" green recruits.
  • I remember Fastec27 mentoring me when I didn't have a clue
  • I remember JMason spent ever last dollar he had trying to win a big battle only to realize he hadn't yet offered any scholarships out!  Signed 0 players that season...lol.
  • I remember when you could switch player positions!  That was fun!
  • I remember going deep in the first Survivor game
  • I remember almost quitting this game a few years back.  Gave up all my Elites, was about to quit when some buddies decided to drag me back in.  We all got together in some DII conference and had a great time beating each others heads in...lol.
  • I remember when the conference boards used to be active!
  • I remember the songs Champ used to write - funniest guy in GD!
  • I'd remember more but I've seemed to have forgotten...
Here's the story, of a coach named bullfrog
Who I call Bull Froggy Frog
His players are undersized, that's fo sho
But they make up for it by being so slow.
4/13/2015 2:33 PM
  • I remember getting totally owned by Fraser at Survivor.
  • I remember Nelsonba blocking me on FB due to me being a total freak.  
  • I remember the previews I briefly compiled and posted of every world and division I was in.  
  • I remember starting right alongside fellow new guy JasonFreeman.  Me at Bluffton.  He at ... I forget.  Some tough contests that he always managed to win.   Now look at him. 
  • I remember taking a five year break as part of the second mass exodus of coaches.    
  • I remember my best ever teams, losing in back to back NCGs.   
  • And I remember making some good friends I still have today - Acres, Arfy, Jordan, Jason, etc... 
4/13/2015 5:56 PM
Rockne DIII, S29, my fifth season, before I started paying attention to the game, when my 7-6 Texas Lutheran team beat 18-1 national champ Loras 28-24, spoiling the perfect season of legendary coach beansnap.

War chests.

Recruiting players to flip. LB to RB, what a fond memory.

Wishbone or ND Box?

Paranoid's rankings.

Warner DIII, NJAC.

Swooft's blind squirrel polls.

Swooft's preseason, post-recruiting press conferences.

Making up songs lyrics to Brady Bunch or Joy to the World to irritate bullfrog333.
4/13/2015 6:06 PM
Posted by champ83 on 4/13/2015 6:06:00 PM (view original):
Rockne DIII, S29, my fifth season, before I started paying attention to the game, when my 7-6 Texas Lutheran team beat 18-1 national champ Loras 28-24, spoiling the perfect season of legendary coach beansnap.

War chests.

Recruiting players to flip. LB to RB, what a fond memory.

Wishbone or ND Box?

Paranoid's rankings.

Warner DIII, NJAC.

Swooft's blind squirrel polls.

Swooft's preseason, post-recruiting press conferences.

Making up songs lyrics to Brady Bunch or Joy to the World to irritate bullfrog333.
Still makes me smile ;)
4/14/2015 12:33 PM
bump - just 'cause this post makes me smile ;)
5/18/2015 1:24 PM
Remember when I got banned from the forums so I tanked Bryant Notre Dame in silent protest?

http://whatifsports.com/gd/TeamProfile/History.aspx?tid=50586

70 ebel331 0-13 0-8 0-7 0-6 120      
69 ebel331 0-13 0-8 0-4 0-9 85      
68 ebel331 0-13 0-8 0-4 0-9 86      
67 ebel331 6-7 4-4 3-1 3-6 31      
66 ebel331 10-4 5-3 4-2 6-1 18

They lifted my forum ban today after 4 years lol, whats up fellas
5/18/2015 7:08 PM
Well, I was not around in version 1...but I've been playing for a while.  So here goes.  I remember:

1.  Recruiting the first season...had no clue what I was doing.  Signed maybe half a class and was totally irritated that actually offering a scholarship did not turn guys green.
2.  Playing my first couple of games and getting hammered by sims.  Wondering what I was doing wrong (of course it was multiple things).  Then looking in detail at what some other coaches were doing and trying to mimic them.
3.  Starting to figure out how to recruit and starting to get some success.  First "big win" vs grindi in Wilkinson.  Thought I was something.
4.  Winning my first CC game vs jjl58.  Then I knew I had arrived!  I could have quit then and been happy....but that just made me want MORE.
5.  Playing in my first NC game a few seasons after that.  Had a big halftime lead and was planning my speech for after the game.....then getting smoked in 2H and being thankful that I didn't say anything to anybody so that I didn't have to eat my words.
6.  Winning that first NC.
7.  Picking up a second team in order to learn faster, and then developing the most potent wishbone running attack in Heisman.  Katzphang88 might not know it, but I used his wishbone offense as my model.
8.  The best compliments possible....being asked to "co-coach" with several other coaches who wanted to have a "pound it out" wishbone attack.
9.  Taking over a new D3 team, converting a WR to RB and watching him become one of the best wishbone running backs I ever had.
10.  Getting to my first NC game with the wishbone....and having my #1OL and #1RB OUT WITH INJURIES.....trying to decide if I wanted to lift a RS on a stud RB....getting advice to not lift the RS.....then losing 10-7.

5/19/2015 6:47 AM
Ahhh...remember injuries? I hope they are implemented again in the future.
5/19/2015 9:20 AM
I remember before the distribution settings, recruiting evenly to both pass first and run first.  One season my QB threw for 12,000 yards and 110+ TDs, with 2 WR's topping 2500 yds to win a NC, then the next I got bored of that plan and decided to run 99% of the time where my RB ran for 4500+ yds and won a NC doing that. 

Before formation IQs were important and being able to run whatever formation I pleased. 

When sacks and interceptions were easy to come by

5/19/2015 10:23 AM
Very good thread.

I remember recruiting for the first time ever and thinking 1) i don't need to read any forums and 2) I'll outsmart everybody on recruiting. I made sure to recruit about the 30-40th best overall player at QB and RB. Thinking that everybody would be working for the top 20. Hmmm, what is this vision thing all about.
I remember that first DIII team in Bryant and watching some guy named Plague just annilate everybody. Oh wait, I can stop him...he's just running the ball everytime in ND Box nevermind the massive talent differential. FAIL
I remember recruiting in the hospital while the wife was in prolonged labor with child #1 nine years ago.
I remember the forums when they were very active and entertaining. snake may have been a douche but he wasa good read.
I remember about four years ago some guy faked his death and his "widow" supposedly logged on and recruited for him. LOL
5/19/2015 12:18 PM
I remember when I used to play before all the craptastic tinkering was made to the game which made it almost unplayable.  Ah those were the days.
5/19/2015 2:27 PM
Running was the name of the game and passing wasn't for S()T.  Oh and the snake. The snake is dead! Long live the snake! Long live the snake!........and other things too.
5/19/2015 7:20 PM
I remember charting out my defensive line and LB to match up with a platoon system so my better players didn't get tired and leave the game too soon.

Hoping to nab a 7-6 team in a new world because that was the best team available.

Being happy when I lost to a top 20 team by less than 14 points.

Completing 5 seasons with 11 wins each and never being ranked higher than 50th.
5/19/2015 10:27 PM
Punting less than 10 times a season

Wondering which RB was the blocking back

Getting mad at every loss
5/20/2015 8:26 AM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
Remember when..... Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.