Vote for Franchise Four Topic

Manny's not on the Indians list either. Somebody at MLB doesn't like ManRam.
4/9/2015 12:35 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 4/9/2015 12:33:00 PM (view original):
Posted by mfahie on 4/9/2015 12:32:00 PM (view original):
The Giants give the Yanks a run for their money when it comes to top 8. Wow. Especially because their two starters (Matthewson and Marichal) are well ahead of the Yanks one starter (Ford).

How the heck do I choose 4 Giants?

Easy.

Bonds, Mays, McCovey, Ott. Forget the pitchers.
Nah, I went with Ott 4th and left McCovey out. 373 freaking wins.
4/9/2015 12:36 PM
yeah, not much love for the Steroid era guys

No McGwire, no Clemens, no A-Rod, no ManRam

Although Bonds made it twice, Sosa made it for a Cubs franchise with plenty of lovable stars over the years, and Palmeiro made it for a not very deep Rangers team
4/9/2015 12:39 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by 98greenc5 on 4/9/2015 12:28:00 PM (view original):
I know this goes mostly to longevity of franchise, but I found it interesting the teams without any recent players. Most "recent" player for a few franchises:

Orioles - Ripken ('01)
A's - Henderson ('03)
Cubs - Sosa ('07)
Pirates - Bonds ('07, but last played for them in '92)

For all the other teams, they at least have one token current player or recent retiree

Probably this: 

Vote for the FOUR most impactful players who best represent the history of each franchise.

Sort of an era thing.   You could easily load the Yankees up from players from more than 40-50 years ago.   But their history didn't end in 1968.    It probably speaks volumes about Pitt's recent history when they can't find a guy who played for them in the last 20 years.   Of course, if you look at their record during those years, that's about right.

4/9/2015 1:17 PM

Only the haters don't list the Yanks as Ruth, Gehrig, Mantle, Jeter.  Sadly, that sort of ignores the 40s, 70s and 80s but you can only list 4.

4/9/2015 1:21 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/9/2015 1:21:00 PM (view original):

Only the haters don't list the Yanks as Ruth, Gehrig, Mantle, Jeter.  Sadly, that sort of ignores the 40s, 70s and 80s but you can only list 4.

Jeter over Dimaggio? Dimaggio was better, so that argument must rest on Jeter's magic herpes or something.
4/9/2015 1:39 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/9/2015 1:17:00 PM (view original):
Posted by 98greenc5 on 4/9/2015 12:28:00 PM (view original):
I know this goes mostly to longevity of franchise, but I found it interesting the teams without any recent players. Most "recent" player for a few franchises:

Orioles - Ripken ('01)
A's - Henderson ('03)
Cubs - Sosa ('07)
Pirates - Bonds ('07, but last played for them in '92)

For all the other teams, they at least have one token current player or recent retiree

Probably this: 

Vote for the FOUR most impactful players who best represent the history of each franchise.

Sort of an era thing.   You could easily load the Yankees up from players from more than 40-50 years ago.   But their history didn't end in 1968.    It probably speaks volumes about Pitt's recent history when they can't find a guy who played for them in the last 20 years.   Of course, if you look at their record during those years, that's about right.

I don't think it's an era thing. Just about every team lists the best players that ever played for them (except for Boston, leaving out Clemens and Ramirez). Andrew McCutchen would have been a fine choice for Pitt since he's one of the best 3 or 4 players in baseball right now and guys like Kershaw, Posey, and Verlander represent other teams. But the Pirates are somewhat loaded with historically great players and left him off.
4/9/2015 1:47 PM
For the Pirates, between 1992 (when Bonds left) and 2011 (McCutchen's fist All-star year), I think these are your best best for Franchise players

Jason Kendall (1250 games over 9 years, 3 All-Stars)
Brian Giles (4 season over 5 WAR, but only there 4 seasons)
Jack Wilson (1150 games over 9 years, 1 All-Star)
Mike Williams (6 seasons as Closer, 140 saves, a All-Star)

That really is a bit of a mess
4/9/2015 2:23 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by 98greenc5 on 4/9/2015 2:23:00 PM (view original):
For the Pirates, between 1992 (when Bonds left) and 2011 (McCutchen's fist All-star year), I think these are your best best for Franchise players

Jason Kendall (1250 games over 9 years, 3 All-Stars)
Brian Giles (4 season over 5 WAR, but only there 4 seasons)
Jack Wilson (1150 games over 9 years, 1 All-Star)
Mike Williams (6 seasons as Closer, 140 saves, a All-Star)

That really is a bit of a mess
Yeah, I was thinking Kendall and Wilson(and I'm not even sure why because he just wasn't all that). 

Mike Williams could be sitting at my desk right now and he'd have to break out a baseball card in order for me to believe he pitched for 6 seasons.
4/9/2015 2:41 PM
He actually pitched for 12 seasons.  Or rather in 12 different seasons.
4/9/2015 2:53 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't believe he pitched six.   Which was my point. 
4/9/2015 2:54 PM
FWIW, I think it's reasonably important that a somewhat recent player be on the list.    Otherwise, we just sound like a bunch of old men yammering on about how everything was better "back in the day".    All the best, or most impactful, players weren't from 1926.    Truth is, I didn't want to list Ruth AND Gehrig with Mantle/Jeter.   But, honestly, any Yankee "best" list that doesn't include Gehrig is probably uber-retarded.  
4/9/2015 3:06 PM
4/9/2015 3:21 PM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5...8 Next ▸
Vote for Franchise Four Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.