Vote for Franchise Four Topic

I think you just forget what those Yankees teams look like.  By "significant player" I mean, any regular starter in the lineup or rotation, or late inning guy in the bullpen.  The Yankees didn't develop them.  At all.  And if they did, they traded them for established players.

If you're instead suggesting Jeter WAS personally responsible for the Yankees success, fine.  But you'd have to be a complete idiot to believe that he was more critical to their success on the teams he played with than DiMaggio was on the teams he played with.  The late '90s, early '00s Yankees were stacked, a machine, and like everybody else Jeter was just a cog.  If they didn't have him they would have found a way to get A-Rod, or Nomar, or Renteria, or later Tejada or Furcal.  They had the money, they would have found a good player.  Maybe not as good, but very good.  And they still would have won.
4/10/2015 9:32 PM
DiMaggio was also a key figure in helping to wipe out the stigma against Italian Americans in that era.
4/10/2015 11:59 PM
Not to mention referenced in a zillion pop culture mediums. Plays, songs, movies, television. This is a ridiculous argument.
4/11/2015 12:10 AM
DiMaggio was the face of the franchise while he was playing and for decades afterwords, in spite of the fact that Mantle was an active player for much of that.
4/11/2015 12:16 AM
Marilyn Monroe, Mr. Coffee and some song. 

What was Mantle's claim to fame outside of baseball?    Drinking?

OK. 
4/11/2015 8:00 AM
Anyway, you've bored the interest out of this.     Jeter had more impact on a team that had missed the playoffs for 13 straight seasons than DiMaggio did for a team that seemed to win the WS every other year.     End of story. 
4/11/2015 8:01 AM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/11/2015 8:01:00 AM (view original):
Anyway, you've bored the interest out of this.     Jeter had more impact on a team that had missed the playoffs for 13 straight seasons than DiMaggio did for a team that seemed to win the WS every other year.     End of story. 
So Jeter was the reason they made the playoffs?
4/11/2015 10:28 AM
Posted by bronxcheer on 4/11/2015 8:41:00 AM (view original):
OPEN
Here's my Mets list:

4/11/2015 10:48 AM
The saddest thing is that this time I almost think you believe the complete and utter bullshit you're spewing...
4/11/2015 1:51 PM
4/11/2015 2:35 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Unless you count the "impact" of those guys named Rivera, Posada and Pettite that came in with Jeter. And let's not even mention Williams, O'Neil, Mussina and all those other guys who made virtually no "impact" on those Yankee teams. The "impact" was all Jeter. Stupid.
4/12/2015 11:25 AM
Most teams would be pretty easy to choose 4 top players. I'm proud to say as a Yankees fan, narrowing it down to 4 players is extremely difficult.

Ruth, Gehrig, DiMaggio, Mantle, Jeter, and Rivera. Can I take 6? Sorry to Berra, Dickey, Posada, Combs, Lazzeri, Ford, Pennock, Ruffing, Gossage, Rizzuto, ARod, Williams, etc etc etc.
4/14/2015 10:19 PM
You can't argue about Jeter too much. The guy is what, 5th all time in hits?? He played SS for 20 years. DiMaggio was a great player, but only had a 13 year career. It's true DiMaggio was the best player by far on most of the teams he played on but he had a good supporting cast too. He played with guys like Ruffing, Gehrig, Heinrich, Dickey, Berra, Chandler, and more. Take a look at the rosters for the Yankees during the DiMaggio years...there are guys that had great years that you probably wouldn't have thought of.
4/14/2015 10:27 PM
◂ Prev 1...5|6|7|8 Next ▸
Vote for Franchise Four Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.