But what has been made clear time and time again, is that overall gleeman is a win for HBD. Sure he's like a 15 year old who is proud that he can whoop every 3rd graders ***, but he brings TONS of owners to this site. If even a few venture outside of his worlds and become active HBDers that is a win for all of us, cause we all know WifS isn't doing a whole bunch of bringing in new owners.
4/22/2015 3:43 PM
Yep.   I don't know about tons, he's advertising in the forums to fill his worlds, but he's brought in plenty. 
4/22/2015 3:44 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/22/2015 3:44:00 PM (view original):
Yep.   I don't know about tons, he's advertising in the forums to fill his worlds, but he's brought in plenty. 
some of them guys are pretty heavy...
4/22/2015 3:46 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 4/22/2015 2:02:00 PM (view original):
When I'm offered a deal, I always try to figure out the "why".    The success of the other owner is part of that.    In MG, deanod won 4-5 WS in a row.    Every time he posted "Need a solid RH bat" or whatever, someone came running to give him said bat.  I finally said "Look, idiots, he's owning the AL every year and then kicking the NL's *** in the WS.    How the hell do you expect to beat him if you always trade him exactly what he requires?"    It was like no one ever thought of that and it mostly stopped.    He got ****** a season or two later because no one was catering to his every need and asked to be replaced during spring training.
The thing about doing a deal with a habitually successful owner is that... assuming he is dealing higher-rated veterans for prospects or younger players... he is being given access to players he should otherwise have no chance to own.

4/22/2015 4:14 PM
That's one of the other things in that world.   Cash inclusion.    Seems like "Looking to buy a....." is very prevalent in the chat.   So, if you can sell a 5m player and get 5m in cash plus scrub, you've cleared 10m.    Smart guys are going to beat dumb guys in the cash game.  
4/22/2015 5:51 PM
I did tweet at him and asked if he saw this thread and he never responded. Doesn't mean anything one way or the other, although it leads me to believe he wouldn't respond to a sitemail invitation.
4/22/2015 6:00 PM
At least with sitemail you know if he ever even sees it.
4/22/2015 6:33 PM
Posted by sgmedia on 4/22/2015 6:33:00 PM (view original):
At least with sitemail you know if he ever even sees it.
Not necesarily. If you receive email notifications of sitemails, you see all but the first line or first few words of the sitemail without opening it in WIS.
4/23/2015 12:05 AM
Gleeman recruited me to HBD through his Twins blog.  I played in both worlds for several seasons, learning the ropes, but saw the writing on the wall that the playing field wasn't level and chose to find other worlds.  I still help out mid-season if he needs a replacement owner, but otherwise I won't be back.

Buying/selling players is a huge element of those worlds.  As are the 3-for-1's that Gleeman pulls off for future HOF'ers.  He wins 115 games, wins the World Series, and has a $75M payroll with $35M in Intl money.  It's a never-ending cycle.  As soon as a stud hits his early 30's he flips them (often packaged with another stud) for a young future HOF'er.  It's tough for the other team to say no as they are often grabbing two players that help them compete that they couldn't otherwise obtain.  But Gleeman has so much young talent that losing those 30 year-olds makes no difference to his team's results.

4/23/2015 9:26 AM
There's a guy in my world does exactly that.  And as you said, it's not like the loser of the trade isn't getting immediate value.  The issue is that the big owner never has to rebuild because he gets players he "shouldn't", according to the principle behind a competitive balance draft.

It's actually a good lesson for every HBD owner, IMO, because the big owner succeeds by never becoming attached to his players.  They're assets, nothing more.  Where it's unfair to the small owner is that he's buying players who are already used up.

4/23/2015 10:41 AM
I don't have any problem with trades where a team gets aging stars that are still performing for stud prospects.  My problem is with trades that give a MLer with an additional 1 or 2 million dollars for an overall 47 rated DH who won't hit .220 in AA.
4/25/2015 10:39 AM

There has to be a better way to post the links for these players in this trade, but this is the extent of my ability right now.  www.whatifsports.com/HBD/Pages/Popups/PlayerProfile.aspx and www.whatifsports.com/HBD/Pages/Popups/PlayerProfile.aspx PLUS 4 MILL for www.whatifsports.com/HBD/Pages/Popups/PlayerProfile.aspx
4/25/2015 2:10 PM (edited)
Thanks for the help.  

4/25/2015 6:30 PM
I play in Gleeman2, and look, I would have NEVER gotten on this site if I hadn't seen a recruiting Tweet from Gleeman. Does he work the system selling off those 30+ year olds flipping them for top prospects? Yes. Does he have a massive IFA budget? Yes. But in that world you can do that. He's found a margin and he exploits it. ****, I didn't even know Twins fans could be that smart.

After some previous Forum discussion with Mike T, I went back and looked at his trade history. I seem to remember seeing a trade or two here and there that I was like 'eh' but nothing obscene. For the most part he sells off used parts that are ready for big contracts to teams for prospects. Plenty of ML teams do that.

Look, its a sandbox - one thats really not connected to the rest of the worlds. I'm doing ok this season, and may play there for a while, but my goal is to (eventually) get good enough to get inot one of the really competative leagues. Then I'll leave Gleeman2.

For now I think of it as the Mexican League.

4/26/2015 8:59 AM
◂ Prev 123456 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.