Critical news debate Topic

More WC comments from around the HBD universe:

The Good
Super excited about these updates. Very much warranted.

There will be a rough transition period for a lot of owners. Looking forward to it.
I love the changes, for what it's worth. Strategies are going to have to change drastically and there are a lot of unknowns -- should be fun.
I'm definitely intrigued. The projections were always something that bugged me with the game, since it was so simple to note players who should project well or not. I like changing this element to reflect the real game more accurately.
I like the upcoming changes, especially the International portion. The budget allocation for Ints are annoying and should level the playing field for bloated transfers.
Kind of curious how the revamped advanced scouting will work. Also I like international free agents not asking for $5MM right off the bat.
I'm glad to see significant updates of any kind after the long period without. A renewed commitment to this game from WIS will go a long way toward reinvigorating the some of the owners who have cut back lately.

Really excited about these updates. much needed.
Wow. Big change coming. That should make prospects a lot more interesting.
Interesting changes coming in the game update. I had been a 0 advanced scouting guy, so this should something new to learn.
Amen to the DITR changes
There's a lot coming in that next update on 5/26. Particularly like the changes for international prospects.
love the changes! one thing i don't love is not being able to see historic ratings.
I really like the changes. It probably won't move me off of 0 ADV, but it makes it more of a sacrifice. I'm a bigger fan of the other changes.
i like the changes as well...long overdue.
Damn, that's a lot of changes. Sounds like good changes for the most part though.
The changes will affect everybody differently. We'll have to "learn the game" all over again. Should be fun though, because there appears to be more realism...
A) I really like the changes. B) I wish they had happened *after* I finished this rebuild.
Wow...can't wait for next season to start.
Seeing how everyone plays it should be pretty entertaining
I like the sound of this update...negates some of the unintended loopholes in the current budgeting process.
Wow. That is a big change. I think it is necessary too - been hoping for something like that. Things will get interesting... gonna take a few seasons to get off 0 ADV.
Glad to see they are finally making a upgrade like that. I was consider stop playing, but Now I want to play with this new update coming. Should be more fun.
I hate to say it, but kudos to mike if he was behind some of this. I like the sound of the changes.
Oooooh!!! I love the updates! Well done, staff!
yea , they're fixing DITR.
I know this, I love the changes to the scouting.
I like the new updates...finally advanced scouting will matter.
It should also create more prudent bidding on FAs, too, as payrolls will have to come down.
short term is going to be rough. Long term I think it will improve things.
Wow, meaningful changes in the next update
I am looking forward to next years FA market already...
I still probably won't use [AS], but I like the changes.
I like them. Don't really like not being able to adjust the budgets my more than 4 mil for at least the first season they role these out.
Pretty impressed that they're making these changes, long time coming, but should make the game more interesting.
I like the updates, not sure leaving the 4 mill budget max movement in place in year one of the move is fair though.
On the changes...I'm at Advanced $2 heading (until now) for $0 so I'm hurt by the change but I'm happy with the change. New challenges like this equals more fun.
At this point I'm still leaning toward running an ADV of zero. I like these changes very much.
I like it, adds a challenge now....HBD was becoming formulaic and now it'll be fun learning what works now and what doesnt

The Bad
I have zero in advanced scouting and they still will only let us change it by 4 per season. Why don't they fix that 4 per season limit?
oh wow. I'm not sure I liked these changes....
I think they put that in as an F U to people that they thought were gaming the system.
And we can still only go up or down 4 mil at a time. So they make these changes and for owners who have 0 in AS it will take them 4 seasons to even get it up to 15. Tell me how that is right?
Hiding past season ratings is just absurd.
They should have just eliminated advanced scouting entirely.
yeah let's all waste 60m on scouting. Great update, WIS.
I wish they would give you a one-time adjustment to move the adv budget up. They are the ones who made advanced budgets pretty much worthless and people took advantage of it. No reason to punish those who were playing the hand they were given.
Well, wis just flat out changed the rules. I'm highly considering getting out. (That's not a definitive decision, just preliminary thought)

5/8/2015 11:44 AM
In my leagues, trading for prospects is very difficult.   Everyone thinks their guy is the next Pedro or Trout.    If that's all ADV will affect, I think it will have very little impact.   I know I won't move from 0.   I'll just trade based on current.   If a 2nd-3rd year guy doesn't look like he could help me next season, I'll pass and find another trade partner.  Or, more likely, find the solution within my organization.
5/8/2015 11:47 AM
Posted by arcticlegend on 5/8/2015 11:44:00 AM (view original):
Regarding the budgeting page, I have to respectfully disagree with Mike and the others who advocate getting rid of it. I think the curren system is more like real baseball. In the real mlb, every team's payroll spending is well known and publicly available, and Forbes publishes their revenues and operating income every year. As for gameplay, it helps me assess which players know what they're doing and which ones aren't that good at this game. Sure, there are other ways of find in that out, but this is a good reference.

I wouldn't cry if they got rid of it, but I'm happy with the current system.
You can still find out everyone's used payroll by clicking the team page.   No hiding that.   But I shouldn't know you have 20m earmarked for prospect and 18m in usused payroll.   Or that you have 20m for HS players and 0 for college.   And I damn sure shouldn't know how many people you have on staff for medical/training or how good they are. 

That's just info about you that I shouldn't know.
5/8/2015 11:50 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/8/2015 11:47:00 AM (view original):
In my leagues, trading for prospects is very difficult.   Everyone thinks their guy is the next Pedro or Trout.    If that's all ADV will affect, I think it will have very little impact.   I know I won't move from 0.   I'll just trade based on current.   If a 2nd-3rd year guy doesn't look like he could help me next season, I'll pass and find another trade partner.  Or, more likely, find the solution within my organization.
Agree 100%. Everyone seems to be focusing on the Adv scouting budgets and the historical ratings, but I'm starting to think that's the least important of all these changes.
5/8/2015 11:50 AM
For instance, Seattle has 61m for payroll and 58.9m used.   27m for prospects, none used.  15m in IFA(meaning they'll see quite a few) and 14m each in domestic.   If I was in that world, I'd know the draft pick # and the signing bonus required to get that first rounder.  I'd deduct that from the 27m and know how much they could spend on an IFA.  As the season progressed, I'd figure out where I stood in the IFA war and make decisions on waiting/signing now based on who/how much. 

I shouldn't be able to do this.   Ever.
5/8/2015 11:55 AM
It really would change the game for the better if they would hide the budgets.
5/8/2015 11:57 AM
It does open the door for collusion however.
5/8/2015 11:58 AM
Posted by rockindock on 5/8/2015 11:41:00 AM (view original):
Why do away with the budget analysis page and show current values? I think hiding the current values would enhance the game. Owners can and do use other owners budget information when bidding on free agents and international prospects. It would make the game much more fun, and fair if the current budgets were not available to everyone.
I agree with this.
5/8/2015 11:58 AM
Posted by rockindock on 5/8/2015 11:58:00 AM (view original):
It does open the door for collusion however.
There are already plenty of opportunities for collusion. This would not be a big deal IMO.
5/8/2015 12:00 PM
I realize I'll be squarely in a microscopic minority by saying this, but aren't all these things just band-aids to cover the effects of Budget Transfer?

As was implied earlier, everyone wants to get to Zero in one category or another.  Which is fine, because it would be boring if we all were forced to use the same strategy.  But getting to Zero in multiple categories, for practical purposes, ends up being used to free up cash for Internationals. 

If you just hard capped Prospect at a higher level than the current 20 million, wouldn't it accomplish the same thing?

Dead horse beaten.  Carry on.

5/8/2015 12:01 PM

Cheaters gonna cheat.   Can't stop that. 

5/8/2015 12:01 PM
I can see I'm in the minority on this one. That's fine. As I said, I won't cry if they do change it. But I'm happy the way things are.

Here are the changes I'd rather see:

1. Change the catcher fielding ratings. It's unrealistic that catchers can't move to first base (or even occasionally second or third like Craig Bigio or Todd Zeile). It's annoying that good hitting fathers have to either play DH or rack up negative plays in RF.

2. More cities! I'll keep bringing this one up. My hometown of St. Paul deserves a team. We hate sharing with Minneapolis. And why no teams in Alaska or New Hampshire?

3. Maybe some sort of built in penalty for financial tanking. Like, if you spend more on intl prospects than your player budget, you take a hit somehow. I know some worlds had rules to alleviate this, but I'd like to see a built in mechanism to prevent this.
5/8/2015 12:06 PM
If you hard cap the prospect budget at any value, you give the advantage to the winning teams who have a cheaper 1st round pick (or none if they signed a Type A).
5/8/2015 12:08 PM
Posted by damag on 5/8/2015 12:01:00 PM (view original):
I realize I'll be squarely in a microscopic minority by saying this, but aren't all these things just band-aids to cover the effects of Budget Transfer?

As was implied earlier, everyone wants to get to Zero in one category or another.  Which is fine, because it would be boring if we all were forced to use the same strategy.  But getting to Zero in multiple categories, for practical purposes, ends up being used to free up cash for Internationals. 

If you just hard capped Prospect at a higher level than the current 20 million, wouldn't it accomplish the same thing?

Dead horse beaten.  Carry on.

Everyone seeking that perfect zero isn't doing it for transfer.   Some of us have big payrolls.
2. More cities! I'll keep bringing this one up. My hometown of St. Paul deserves a team. We hate sharing with Minneapolis. And why no teams in Alaska or New Hampshire?

No baseball player wants to freeze his butt off up there.
◂ Prev 1...18|19|20|21|22...54 Next ▸
Critical news debate Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.