Critical news debate Topic

Yes it is over reacting, but more importantly it is the fact that so many of us have gamed the system for so long, it is just silly that all of a sudden it is these same guys crying that it is unfair. 

What was unfair was that any newer player would automatically assume that ADV was meaningful and go to 14 wishing they could go even higher, while the vets are mostly sitting at 5 or less. 

I think it is very telling of how GREAT of an update it is when the overwhelming majority of owners thinks it is a positive and an even larger majority of the complaints all center around the one issue that they'll be at a disadvantage for three seasons...
5/8/2015 5:42 PM
Posted by evegoe on 5/8/2015 5:41:00 PM (view original):
Do we know if the change will only impact the development patterns of future players, or will it be applied randomly to all current players?
I'm assuming it will affect all players. Why/how would it not?
5/8/2015 5:43 PM
Posted by bjschumacher on 5/8/2015 5:40:00 PM (view original):
Posted by jc44 on 5/8/2015 5:29:00 PM (view original):
The part that worries me is if ADV scouting goes from almost 0 meaning to being very important but you can still only move +4 at a time they are making it to where if you`ve only invested a couple seasons in your team or if your looking at a rebuild it`s better to drop your team and start with a new one at 14 ADV than spending 3 seasons just to get to 12.If the difference really is meaningful then it should be reset to 10 and let us decide between 6-14 to start.
We need an answer on if ADV is going to start affecting prospect projections.
We do. 

I am pretty confident that it will not, and therefore the majority of the complaints are irrelevant. 

It was Mike who said that he "wished" it would be tied to all of them, but admin never indicated any such thing.
5/8/2015 5:45 PM
Posted by bjschumacher on 5/8/2015 5:43:00 PM (view original):
Posted by evegoe on 5/8/2015 5:41:00 PM (view original):
Do we know if the change will only impact the development patterns of future players, or will it be applied randomly to all current players?
I'm assuming it will affect all players. Why/how would it not?
I'm not sure how the program works, but it's possible that the development pattern for a player is basically set when he's generated into he draft pool (or IFA pool). If that's the case, then I'm sure the update would not affect existing players.
5/8/2015 5:45 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
The part that worries me is if ADV scouting goes from almost 0 meaning to being very important but you can still only move +4 at a time they are making it to where if you`ve only invested a couple seasons in your team or if your looking at a rebuild it`s better to drop your team and start with a new one at 14 ADV than spending 3 seasons just to get to 12.If the difference really is meaningful then it should be reset to 10 and let us decide between 6-14 to start.
If you drop your team or your world because you can't go to 14m on day 1, the team/world means nothing to you.    I doubt you'll be missed in that world.
5/8/2015 6:51 PM
Posted by mchales_army on 5/8/2015 5:45:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bjschumacher on 5/8/2015 5:40:00 PM (view original):
We need an answer on if ADV is going to start affecting prospect projections.
We do. 

I am pretty confident that it will not, and therefore the majority of the complaints are irrelevant. 

It was Mike who said that he "wished" it would be tied to all of them, but admin never indicated any such thing.
I based that on a suggestion I made 3 years ago that these changes closely resemble.    Or maybe my suggestions had nothing to do with any of this.   It's just too much of a coincidence, IMO.
5/8/2015 6:53 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/8/2015 1:09:00 PM (view original):
Posted by crickett13 on 5/8/2015 1:04:00 PM (view original):
I don't agree at all. If there is one ring to rule them all everyone will want it. If adv suddenly becomes the single most important budget item because it is the only budget item that affects 3 other budget items then you are being forced to either 0 out everything, after all why scout col, hs or int if you wont see decent ratings anyway, or max out adv.
I'm not bothering to check another owner but do you have any IFA, HS or College budget that is not 0 or 20?

If you do, your argument has no merit.    If you don't, I'll have to confirm before continuing on with you.
LOL that's complete crap Mike. What I am saying is simple. I have no incentive to stay in a league where I will have a penalty when I can leave and join another league where I have an advantage. I use 0 because it gives me an advantage.
5/8/2015 6:57 PM
Posted by alleyviper on 5/8/2015 6:50:00 PM (view original):
I find it hard to believe that you've only seen one IFA go straight to the majors, Mike, I can think of a handful just off the top of my head. Draftees are definitely far more rare, and the cases I can think of have typically been due to misconceptions or misguided ideas, but there certainly are draftees who are major league ready - some even better than end-of-FA fodder - few and far between as they may be. Using the draft as a near-to-ML engine may not work, heck I readily admit that the evidence is soundly against the possibility that it can work with the game as currently built, but it's something I would at least like to try and toy around with. Except it's not going to be a possibility any more.

It would be really nice, though, if the HBD drafts had enough variety that we would see more draftees go straight to the majors. Seeing some Ryan Zimmermans, Carlos Rodons and Chris Sales pop up would make things a lot more interesting and if this discussion helps lead to that kind of change then it's a win to me. Of course, that's not something that can happen if we don't have current ratings for prospects, or at least some indication of how close or far a player is from ML-ready.

In any case, what exactly would the harm have been of engaging rhyno on his point from the start? He had an interesting point that was worth exploring, regardless of his intentions of making that point. You stand behind the veil of "honest discussion" and sure, maybe you're right that you wouldn't get honest discussion out of him, but that doesn't mean that there couldn't be good discussion about his idea with other people in the thread. We've just had several pages of it as a matter of fact. So what's the benefit of shooting him down instead of engaging? This forum is not nearly as healthy as it could be because the insular, reductive kinds of thinking that started this whole tangent is astonishingly pervasive.

But let's set aside the idea of supplementing a big league team through the draft and just discuss the importance of current ratings in setting up a draft board and evaluating draft prospects. Two seasons ago in Clemens* I had three hitters near the top of my board who were basically equal quality hitters - two even had essentially identical power and splits with just a rough disparity between contact and eye. Ultimately it was their current ratings that swayed how my board shook out. Of those two nearly identical guys, one had a current VsR of 38, which obviously was not going to reach the mid-70s VsR my projections were showing him for. Current ratings do allow people who skimp on their budget to still find value in the draft but they're also very important for actually evaluating guys for people who did budget. It's robbing Peter to pay Paul.

If I'm losing current ratings for prospects, I need to have the assurance that my projections are going to be more accurate to make up for that key element of my evaluations that I'm losing. Especially if a prime reason for removing current ratings is in an effort to curb the 0 budgeters. Except we're also being told that projections are now going to be fuzzier. That's not a combination of factors that sits well with me at all. And if there are aspirations of just increasing the probability that owners will whiff on players in the draft, well...I think that's just flat out bad for the game. People need to know that the decisions they're making actually matter, otherwise we're all just playing the RNG lottery, and that's not something I want any part of. If there is a desire to shake up the draft a little and where players may fall, there are any number of ways that you can do that other than presenting me with projections that tell me two players are virtually identical, when they're actually not, and telling me to flip a coin.

All this is turning into a really long-winded way of saying that it would be nice if tzent and co. were more forthcoming about what the ends are to their means, instead of just saying "oh by the way these are the changes we're making." With changes that, as presented, could be very broad or very minor it would be very nice to know what some of the intended consequences are. Maybe we wouldn't even need a discussion on the importance of something like current ratings if we knew better what the actual goal was in eliminating them beyond the fuzzy answer of introducing fuzzy projections. Transparency here is for the better.
Most owners want control of players for 11 seasons at full development.   That's why IFA to BL is so rare.  They want to see if they develop before moving to the bigs.   Even moreso with draftees because we know some IFA have little/no development but EVERY draftee develops.

Nonetheless, you can still do "draft to bigs".   You draft a guy, you sign a guy, you see his currents, he's "BL-ready" in your mind, you promote him.   Easy-peasy.  

As for what you're "losing", I'm sure you understand that you'll be sitting in the same boat as everyone else.   No one "loses" anything.    And I don't think "fuzzy" ratins with proper budgeting will cause anyone to "whiff".    You might whiff if you bet on 0 and spin the wheel. 

Some things are better left to learn.   Transparency isn't always the best thing.
5/8/2015 6:58 PM
Also 0 advanced is a 20 mil bonus. If advanced now will affect 4 total categories that's an 80 mil penalty.
5/8/2015 6:59 PM
Posted by crickett13 on 5/8/2015 6:57:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/8/2015 1:09:00 PM (view original):
Posted by crickett13 on 5/8/2015 1:04:00 PM (view original):
I don't agree at all. If there is one ring to rule them all everyone will want it. If adv suddenly becomes the single most important budget item because it is the only budget item that affects 3 other budget items then you are being forced to either 0 out everything, after all why scout col, hs or int if you wont see decent ratings anyway, or max out adv.
I'm not bothering to check another owner but do you have any IFA, HS or College budget that is not 0 or 20?

If you do, your argument has no merit.    If you don't, I'll have to confirm before continuing on with you.
LOL that's complete crap Mike. What I am saying is simple. I have no incentive to stay in a league where I will have a penalty when I can leave and join another league where I have an advantage. I use 0 because it gives me an advantage.
Other than you like your league, that is.

Please move to different worlds.   I don't think your type will be missed.

"BOOHOOHOO!!!!  I CAN'T ADJUST MY BUDGET TO 14M IMMEDIATELY!!!!  I'M TAKING MY BALL AND GOING TO ANOTHER WORLD WHERE I CAN!!!!!!"

It's that simple.
5/8/2015 7:00 PM
Posted by crickett13 on 5/8/2015 6:59:00 PM (view original):
Also 0 advanced is a 20 mil bonus. If advanced now will affect 4 total categories that's an 80 mil penalty.
That's complete crap because you don't have 20m in IFA/HS/College in any world.    You don't run 20m scouting now.   Why would you run 20m scouting on 5/26?
5/8/2015 7:02 PM
I'm of the belief that I won't lose 1 single owner in either of the worlds I commish because they can't move more than 4m in certain budgets.   Not one owner. 

And, if I do, I'll find three more than happy to take a team.
5/8/2015 7:04 PM
As for what you're "losing", I'm sure you understand that you'll be sitting in the same boat as everyone else.   No one "loses" anything.
Of course this doesn't address a single thing that I said. It's not about being in the same boat as everyone else and it never has been.
5/8/2015 7:19 PM
To be honest, I only skimmed that post.   You admitted, somewhere, that it was long-winded and I just wasn't interested in "long-winded".

"If I'm losing current ratings for prospects, I need to have the assurance that my projections are going to be more accurate to make up for that key element of my evaluations that I'm losing" is what I was addressing.

You don't need to have the assurance of anything.   You're in the same boat as everyone else.   Why do we need "assurances"?   
5/8/2015 7:31 PM
◂ Prev 1...27|28|29|30|31...54 Next ▸
Critical news debate Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.