Critical news debate Topic

Posted by mongoose_22 on 5/7/2015 4:18:00 PM (view original):
I will also be in the camp of 'Wait and see' how this works before I start altering my budget strategy. This should breathe some fresh air into HBD though.

I checked my 4 teams to see where "May 26" fell on the schedule.    Seems to be timed pretty well for me for a wait and see approach as well.

5/7/2015 4:19 PM
When they say we'll only see historical ratings for own players, does that mean if I acquire a player via trade or free agency, all of his past numbers will suddenly appear to me? Or will I only see the historical numbers of he was actually on my team when they happened?
If they're getting rid of historical ratings, then they really need to make minor league stats more relevant. Currently you can get guys to absolutely crush it in the minors but won't be even passable in the majors... 
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/7/2015 4:19:00 PM (view original):
I will also be in the camp of 'Wait and see' how this works before I start altering my budget strategy. This should breathe some fresh air into HBD though.

I checked my 4 teams to see where "May 26" fell on the schedule.    Seems to be timed pretty well for me for a wait and see approach as well.

Of my 6 teams, 4 will be rolling over within a couple weeks of that date. I'll need to make my decisions right away, which makes me a guinea pig, I guess.
5/7/2015 4:21 PM
Posted by arcticlegend on 5/7/2015 4:19:00 PM (view original):
When they say we'll only see historical ratings for own players, does that mean if I acquire a player via trade or free agency, all of his past numbers will suddenly appear to me? Or will I only see the historical numbers of he was actually on my team when they happened?
I read it that you'd see historical ratings for players on your team.   But, possibly, it could be for the time when he was actually on your team not when he was playing somewhere else.
5/7/2015 4:22 PM
Posted by bglick on 5/7/2015 4:19:00 PM (view original):
If they're getting rid of historical ratings, then they really need to make minor league stats more relevant. Currently you can get guys to absolutely crush it in the minors but won't be even passable in the majors... 
Unfortunately, minor league stats will always be meaningless as long as there are owners on way world who don't care about fielding competitive Milb teams. I doubt HBD can do anything to change that.
Posted by bglick on 5/7/2015 4:19:00 PM (view original):
The only way to do that is to make owners care about their minors.   Good luck with that.
I think this is a good thing. However, I wonder how many people are going to go thru the effort (and for some, it may be no effort at all) to import all the players in a world and their current ratings at the beginning of each season, then that way, if they get offered a trade for a player that looks pretty good, they'll have a historical reference to go back and see how that player progressed season to season. Maybe the "fuzzier" development means you can't trade for a guy after his 2nd spring training line has been posted like you can now and feel comfortable projecting his final ratings, or getting close enough to them, but after 2-3 seasons I'm guessing you're going to have a good idea.

If they have guys that are "quick" developers, perhaps its a 5th rounder that has ratings increases good enough to have them as a AAAA player after 2 seasons in the minors, but never develop again after that and always remain a AAAA type player, while other guys languish away for 2-3 seasons before "figuring it out" that could make an impact on using advanced scouting.

Simple truth is, I've been at 0 AS for all my teams, established or rebuilds for a long time. When I see other long time owners who have 18 poured into advanced scouting despite having well established teams I shake my head. Now, having solid AS may be the best strategy or at least 1 strategy. Things were far too stale and predictable. I'm thinking this will be good, but I'm guessing there are ways to skirt around it in the long run. As I've often said, its just a math game disguised as baseball, once you figure out patterns and what they mean, you are way ahead of the curve.
5/7/2015 4:24 PM
Posted by arcticlegend on 5/7/2015 4:19:00 PM (view original):
Great question
5/7/2015 4:25 PM
Someone should note that they did say they'd monitor the forums for comments.   That's a good thing.    If any of the changes are met with massive resistance(I don't think they should be), they can still adjust.     Good job, WifS.
5/7/2015 4:25 PM
But I feel your pain about the meaningless Milb stats. This guy hit 82 homers at AA this year, and I don't think he'll ever make it as a starting ML player:

http://www.whatifsports.com/HBD/Pages/Popups/PlayerProfile.aspx?pid=6508818
5/7/2015 4:26 PM
If they really want people to start putting money into advanced scouting, they should start having the current ratings be fuzzy for lower advanced scouting. Especially for opponents players. :>
5/7/2015 4:27 PM
Posted by arcticlegend on 5/7/2015 4:21:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/7/2015 4:19:00 PM (view original):

Of my 6 teams, 4 will be rolling over within a couple weeks of that date. I'll need to make my decisions right away, which makes me a guinea pig, I guess.
With the 4m max change, it's not that big of a deal.    I'll have two roll shortly after, but not immediately, the 26th.    So I'll likely put 4m in those two.   My other two roll long after the 26th so I'll have a feel for it(hopefully).    If it's no big deal, I wasted 4m on two of my teams for 1 season.     Probably a selling point for 4m max after the change.  Imagine someone doing 20m, finding they don't need it and then being restricted to 4m changes for the next 5 seasons.
5/7/2015 4:30 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/7/2015 4:01:00 PM (view original):
Sort of defeats the purpose of using $$$ to scout domestic/IFA if you know their currents.  
Completely disagree. Having currents can be extremely crucial when evaluating prospects, especially for guys at the top of the draft board or high value IFAs. If I've got 20 in HS budget and am looking at two guys projected for 100 power, one with 75 present power and one with 60 present power, that's key information as to who is more likely to actually reach that 100 power. I couldn't venture a guess as to how often current ratings have shifted the position of players on my draft board who otherwise look very similar in projections/value.
5/7/2015 4:33 PM
Posted by alleyviper on 5/7/2015 4:33:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 5/7/2015 4:01:00 PM (view original):
Sort of defeats the purpose of using $$$ to scout domestic/IFA if you know their currents.  
Completely disagree. Having currents can be extremely crucial when evaluating prospects, especially for guys at the top of the draft board or high value IFAs. If I've got 20 in HS budget and am looking at two guys projected for 100 power, one with 75 present power and one with 60 present power, that's key information as to who is more likely to actually reach that 100 power. I couldn't venture a guess as to how often current ratings have shifted the position of players on my draft board who otherwise look very similar in projections/value.
I think you're missing the point.   I won't argue it but I think you've missed it.  
5/7/2015 4:34 PM
◂ Prev 1...3|4|5|6|7...54 Next ▸
Critical news debate Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.