Iba D2 Season 79 Topic

3 teams enter NT undefeated. Rankings and NT seeds badly off. St Mary's TX 10-ranked team and 1-seed. 
6/13/2015 10:54 AM
What the hell is going on in the east bracket?! Wowza
6/15/2015 3:43 PM
the tourney is crazy, especially in the east. a whole lot of upsets.
6/15/2015 4:12 PM
sssh!  No more upsets in the east now.
6/15/2015 6:18 PM
OK. I'm doing a Sweet 16 preview an hour before the games post. So far, the tourney has been upset-heavy as always. 

Midwest Region

#1 Valdosta St.  (26-5, 12-4 Heartland)  vs. #4 Limestone (26-5, 13-3 CVAC)

Valdosta's really tough. They shoot a ton of 3's, have 10 upperclassmen, outrebound just about everyone and give up 55 points a game. They're not overwhelmingly athletic, but they're solid and very deep. Limestone has a great set of 3 guards in the starting lineup, and are not as deep. 

#6 Johnson C. Smith (28-3, 15-1 Central) vs. #2  Lander (23-7, 13-3 Peach Belt). Both teams have one starting guard that scores near 20 points a game. Lander is a very good 3-point shooting team, and has been heavily tested, with a title winning coach. Johnson C. Smith shoots the 3 very well, and is a very strong rebounding team, but they haven't played the toughest competition in the world.

Prediction:  Valdosta over Limestone, Lander over JCS, Valdosta over Lander

.East Region (what the hell is happening here?)

In the most unpredictable region in recent DII memory, we have #16 Rockhurst playing #12 UCCS in the first semi.  UC-Colorado Springs is a front court driven team, and Rockhurst is majorly underseeded, going 17-12 due to losing a ton of very close and OT games in the difficult Heartland. Neither team shoots very well from the outside. Rockhurst relies on depth, with nobody scoring 9 points a game. 

#6 S. New Hampshire vs. #7 Francis Marion

Southern New Hampshire is actually a really strong team for a #6 seed - They're a strong defensive team that can keep any game close. I have no idea how Francis Marion has lost 9 games. They're one of the most athletic teams in DII, and have 2 huge three-point threats on the team.

Prediction:  UCCS over Rockhurst,  Francis Marion over S. New Hampshire,  Francis Marion over UCCS. 

South

#1 Kennesaw St. vs. #4 Dominican - Kennesaw is a great combination of low-post prowess and 2 great outside threats. They've never made it past the elite 8 under coach GVSUJulius,but this might be their time. They pass the ball well and don't turn it over often.   Dominion has a very proven coach in bvb, two phenomenal players that dominate the scoring, and only 2 losses on the resume. They will be atough challenge for a very game Kennesaw team. 

#2. Bentley vs. #11 W. Georgia.  -  Bentley is one of the most unusual teams in DII. They have not made a 3-pointer all year, are absurdly athletic, and have played a very non-challenging schedule on their way to a 31-0 record. It's pretty much impossible to predict how they will do in the rest of the tourney, but they're definitely difficult to prepare for. W. Georgia is more of a traditional style squad driven by it's strong perimeter game. 

I think that the combination of Bentley, Dominican, and Kennesaw make this the most difficult region left. Whoever gets out of this region alive could win the national title. 

Prediction:  #1 Kennesaw over #4 Dominican,  #2 Bentley over #11 W. Ga,  #1  Kennesaw over #2 Bentley

West

#5 U of DC vs. #8 Longwood.    #5 U of DC is an extremely high scoring team with 3 starters putting up over 20 points a game. Longwood wants to slow it down due to limited depth, and uses their top-notch passing and ball-handling to stymie press teams. 

#2 Seattle vs. #6 Concord.   Both teams can really run. Seattle doesn't like to shoot 3's a whole lot, and is stronger on defense, and have only lost once all year. Concord is a more well-rounded team, barely squeaking by their round of 32 matchup to get to the sweet 16. 

Prediction -  #5 U of DC over#8 Longwood. #2 Seattle over #6 Concord.  #2 Seattle over #5 U of DC. 

Final Four. 

Valdosta over Francis Marion, Kennesaw over Seattle. 

Title Game: Kennesaw St. over Valdosta St.

6/16/2015 1:48 AM (edited)
Excellent write-up as always bunchie. You nailed all the games (except your own, but we all know that was a reverse jinx). I don't know why we even play the games anymore, we should just crown Lander as champions! Oh wait...I mean Kennesaw....

Seriously though, the Peach has 3 of the 8 reps in the Elite Eight. Loving the nearly filled up, more competitive PB!
6/16/2015 2:45 PM
Just realized I posted my first sub .500 record ever. Good writeup bunch, GL to all those still alive. Let's hurry up and get the new season started!!!
6/16/2015 3:21 PM
I blame bbunch for my loss.
6/16/2015 5:45 PM
According to bbunch's predictions I'm going to have to take out the Peach Belt myself from here on out. 
6/16/2015 7:41 PM
Well it hasn't been a problem so far this year Kelby!
6/17/2015 12:43 AM
Whoa.....3 of the final 4 from the new up-and-coming Peach Belt! Great season for that conference.
6/17/2015 2:37 AM
Seattle will do their best to squash the Peach Belt!
6/17/2015 9:58 AM
Also, a Peach Belt rep (USC Upstate) is in the PIT championship. They should've been in the NT, but we had a pretty competitive conference season and they couldn't get to .500, getting upset in the first round of the CT (to put them at 13-14). They square off in a battle for Southeastern.....supremacy (not sure the term for PIT champs lol) with Lees-Mcrae of the CVAC. Should be a good one. 

Looking forward to the Final Four. If anything defines how tough the Heartland is, it's this - they are almost a full point and a half ahead of the PB in terms of conference RPI. We got lucky with some NT runs, good matchups and well-timed good basketball...but wow, the Heartland is straight up dominant. 
6/17/2015 10:18 AM
Posted by bbunch on 5/11/2015 1:18:00 PM (view original):
we will suck this season. the NT will be very unlikely for Longwood with 6 freshmen and a walk-on.  A lot of the CVAC teams are freshman heavy this season
I'm very happy we made the elite 8 given my low expectations for this team

Kudos to Seattle though.....they're phenomenal on defense.....we just couldn't score on them at all.
6/17/2015 12:25 PM
Posted by getbedarded on 6/17/2015 10:18:00 AM (view original):
Also, a Peach Belt rep (USC Upstate) is in the PIT championship. They should've been in the NT, but we had a pretty competitive conference season and they couldn't get to .500, getting upset in the first round of the CT (to put them at 13-14). They square off in a battle for Southeastern.....supremacy (not sure the term for PIT champs lol) with Lees-Mcrae of the CVAC. Should be a good one. 

Looking forward to the Final Four. If anything defines how tough the Heartland is, it's this - they are almost a full point and a half ahead of the PB in terms of conference RPI. We got lucky with some NT runs, good matchups and well-timed good basketball...but wow, the Heartland is straight up dominant. 
Yeah.....the heartland is great as always.....but this was a huge season for the peach. With all that recruiting money, they could be good for a long time
6/17/2015 12:26 PM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
Iba D2 Season 79 Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.