Experiment: STL vs High Potential w/High WE Topic

Gridiron Dynasty - Football Sim Games - Recruit Profile: Daniel Morris

I
 made this guy the last signing of my class of 19 in Wilkinson. I'm not overly excited that he is a TE but he should be a 1AA beast.

Guys, it pays to do some heavy duty scouting at the end of your recruiting. I couldn't believe this guy was an undecided a day after signings began.

Sky is the Limit robcrock. The highest tier of player. Or possibly he's a St.Louis Cardinal fan
5/17/2015 6:36 PM
loll..ok thanks timberdrive
5/17/2015 6:46 PM
I have an STL linebacker in d3..he starts at middle linebacker as a soph..but his work ethic is only 25..and he is progressing just like everybody else..is the work ethic the reason he isnt getting alot better?
5/17/2015 6:54 PM
Rob, I think whay you say is correct. I picked up a 2 OL with a 60 WE. He should develop well. I havent had a STL since D3 as I think they are typically ones you might not orginally scout. I may be totally off on that though.

As an aside, I was in a next to the last bowl series this season I think, the peach bowl. It will be Sunday before recruiting starts. The recruiting period is ridiculously long.
5/18/2015 7:56 AM
All my seasons playing this game. Ive never found a STL player. how do you find that information out? HC scouting trip?
5/18/2015 9:50 AM
Posted by robcrock on 5/17/2015 6:54:00 PM (view original):
I have an STL linebacker in d3..he starts at middle linebacker as a soph..but his work ethic is only 25..and he is progressing just like everybody else..is the work ethic the reason he isnt getting alot better?
Look at it this way: WE determines how fast the guy improves, and potential determines what his ceiling is. A low potential recruit will reach a point (usually in his third season) when his stat improvement suddenly slows down. A high WE guy will hit his ceiling later, which will let him keep that high stat growth longer. As far as I can tell, an STL doesn't HAVE a ceiling, and keeps that fast growth throughout his career. High WE/low pot guys can be very good. early. Low WE/high pot guys improve slower, but because their potential is higher, they can be just as good or better, they just take longer to get to the point where you can start them. The trick is to figure out where a recruit will be when you need him to start back when you sign him.
I'm not sure how potential fits into FIQ, or if it even matters. I just haven't had the energy to graph out FIQ improvement over a large enough sample size to tell.

5/18/2015 9:58 AM
Posted by kevintam90 on 5/18/2015 9:51:00 AM (view original):
All my seasons playing this game. Ive never found a STL player. how do you find that information out? HC scouting trip?
kev, STLs are probably less than 1% of all recruits. I've gone ten or more seasons without seeing an STL, then find two in one season, or one every season for a few seasons, but it's pretty random. You just can't find enough of them to build up a sample size that will let you predict where or when they'll show up. It'd be interesting to start a thread where people can report STLs after recruiting so we can get a large enough data base to crunch some numbers.
5/18/2015 10:03 AM
The same information that determines what the other levels are. AC Scouts usually give you all the info you need. I dont like the ones where the kid makes the report, but the information is there as well.
5/18/2015 10:03 AM
Posted by hogdaddy on 5/18/2015 10:04:00 AM (view original):
The same information that determines what the other levels are. AC Scouts usually give you all the info you need. I dont like the ones where the kid makes the report, but the information is there as well.
IMHO, recruit scouts only tell you if a recruit is below or above average. Low and tapped out recruits are in one category, and high pot/STLs are in the other. You need a coach to scout the guy to tell the difference between a high potential and an STL.
5/18/2015 10:06 AM
Sometimes in D1AA i never scouted them at all. I take their current ratings and theyre good enough to start for me as a Fr or So, i dont even bother with it. Ive prob had a couple ive suspected were STL just based on their growth. But im pretty sure I read somewhere that only a HC scouting trip will tell you if a recruit is a STL?
5/18/2015 10:23 AM
An ac Scout can find a stl. I have a te that will be a sr this year. He was the best blocking te on my roster when he signed but was a bad receiver. He's now a phenomenal blocker and a good receiver.
5/18/2015 11:16 AM
Posted by spcbuzzard on 5/18/2015 11:16:00 AM (view original):
An ac Scout can find a stl. I have a te that will be a sr this year. He was the best blocking te on my roster when he signed but was a bad receiver. He's now a phenomenal blocker and a good receiver.
I agree.  
5/20/2015 10:03 AM
First post was updated with Sophomore ratings. STL player is distancing himself.
5/21/2015 5:24 PM
What is the message when they are STL?  Does it specifically say sky is the limit or is it some other response?
5/21/2015 5:31 PM
Posted by metsmaniac2 on 5/21/2015 5:31:00 PM (view original):
What is the message when they are STL?  Does it specifically say sky is the limit or is it some other response?
It specifically says the sky's the limit
5/21/2015 6:48 PM
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸
Experiment: STL vs High Potential w/High WE Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.