Most Whines, no championships Topic

Posted by gillispie1 on 8/12/2019 2:50:00 PM (view original):
Posted by Heyhowareya on 8/12/2019 2:15:00 PM (view original):
Posted by shoe3 on 8/12/2019 1:58:00 PM (view original):
Point of order:

Poaching is a crime where one illegally hunts or catches some form of game on someone else’s territory. Since no one owns territory (or recruits) in this game, “poaching” is not a thing in HD, and any use of the term to describe HD gameplay actions (legal or otherwise) is nonsense.

Carry on.
Can you please walk around with me and do this whenever people abuse the definitions of words, especially the word literally?
im just glad that after 25 years of referring to a singular person of unknown sex as 'they', simply because my robot brain doesn't understand how the hell an unknown person would be referred to with a definitive gender (its just bad math), somebody came up with an accepted argument for actually using 'they'. if only all my teachers since the 3rd grade realized what bigots they were, they could have saved all that red ink!

i also would have accepted the replacement of he/she/it with sheeit, or just a checkbox at the bottom of each page that says '**** you and your words'.
Poach (verb)

take or acquire in an unfair or clandestine way.
"employers risk having their newly trained workers poached by other companies"
Synonyms: steal, appropriate, purloin, misappropriate, take;
informalnab, swipe;
informalnick, pinch
8/12/2019 3:58 PM
I'm learning. I didn't sign up to learn.
8/12/2019 4:14 PM
Posted by Benis on 8/12/2019 3:58:00 PM (view original):
Point of order:

Poaching is a crime where one illegally hunts or catches some form of game on someone else’s territory. Since no one owns territory (or recruits) in this game, “poaching” is not a thing in HD, and any use of the term to describe HD gameplay actions (legal or otherwise) is nonsense.

Carry on.
Can you please walk around with me and do this whenever people abuse the definitions of words, especially the word literally?
im just glad that after 25 years of referring to a singular person of unknown sex as 'they', simply because my robot brain doesn't understand how the hell an unknown person would be referred to with a definitive gender (its just bad math), somebody came up with an accepted argument for actually using 'they'. if only all my teachers since the 3rd grade realized what bigots they were, they could have saved all that red ink!

i also would have accepted the replacement of he/she/it with sheeit, or just a checkbox at the bottom of each page that says '**** you and your words'.
Poach (verb)

informalnab, swipe;
informalnick, pinch
Full disclosure, Benis took this definition from Google. It’s not actually the definition of “poach”, but rather a subsection of the definition that doesn’t refer to cooking eggs. For full context:

poach2
/poCH/
verb
verb: poach; 3rd person present: poaches; past tense: poached; past participle: poached; gerund or present participle: poaching

1. illegally hunt or catch (game or fish) on land that is not one's own or in contravention of official protection.
    synonyms: hunt illegally, catch/trap/kill illegally, plunder
    "old Hector's been poaching salmon again"
    • take or acquire in an unfair or clandestine way.
      synonyms: steal, appropriate, purloin, misappropriate, take; More
      informalnab, swipe;
      informalnick, pinch
      "employers risk having their newly trained workers poached by other firms"
    • (in ball games) take a shot that a partner or teammate would have expected to take.

2. (of an animal) trample or cut up (turf) with its hoofs.
    • (of land) become sodden by being trampled.

“Poach” is not a blanket term referring to stealing or cheating. It has a specific meaning. Even the example given under the subsection (“employers risk having their newly trained workers poached by other companies”) describes an encroachment on territory. The gripe described 6 years ago, referenced on the first page of this topic, was an issue of collusion, not of poaching.

Also using google as a dictionary is pretty lame.
8/12/2019 4:29 PM (edited)
Posted by shoe3 on 8/12/2019 3:54:00 PM (view original):
Point of order:

Carry on.

Clay Davis approves.
haha, i like it! when i was typing it, i was totally hearing it in his voice, but i couldn't place whose voice i was remembering.
8/12/2019 4:34 PM
Posted by shoe3 on 8/12/2019 4:29:00 PM (view original):
Point of order:

Carry on.

Poach (verb)

informalnab, swipe;
informalnick, pinch
Full disclosure, Benis took this definition from Google. It’s not actually the definition of “poach”, but rather a subsection of the definition that doesn’t refer to cooking eggs. For full context:

poach2
/poCH/
verb
verb: poach; 3rd person present: poaches; past tense: poached; past participle: poached; gerund or present participle: poaching

1. illegally hunt or catch (game or fish) on land that is not one's own or in contravention of official protection.
      informalnab, swipe;
      informalnick, pinch
    • (in ball games) take a shot that a partner or teammate would have expected to take.

“Poach” is not a blanket term referring to stealing or cheating. It has a specific meaning. Even the example given under the subsection (“employers risk having their newly trained workers poached by other companies”) describes an encroachment on territory. The gripe described 6 years ago, referenced on the first page of this topic, was an issue of collusion, not of poaching.

1. benis is screwing with you

2. poaching in HD is 'game-slang' if you will, which i am not going to define because it is generally understood what that means. every game with a community has game slang, and more or less everybody accepts it. i am finally catching on to why you get in so many arguments about nothing - its because you get too concerned with semantics and are unwilling to look beyond, to the meaning behind the words. you want to argue that whining about poaching is silly and maybe even pathetic, i am with you. you want to argue that a player isn't yours if someone else is able to put more effort in than you, and thinking otherwise makes you a 21st century snowflake, i am with you. you want to hunt those people down and savagely murder them, i am with you. but denying that poaching is even an acceptable term in the HD game-slang lexicon, and you've gone too far. substance over semantics!
8/12/2019 4:42 PM (edited)
Posted by gillispie1 on 8/12/2019 4:40:00 PM (view original):
Point of order:

Carry on.

Poach (verb)

informalnab, swipe;
informalnick, pinch

poach2
/poCH/
verb

informalnab, swipe;
      informalnick, pinch

2. poaching in HD is 'game-slang' if you will, which i am not going to define because it is generally understood what that means. every game with a community has game slang, and more or less everybody accepts it. i am finally catching on to why you get in so many arguments about nothing - its because you get too concerned with semantics and are unwilling to look beyond, to the meaning behind the words. you want to argue that whining about poaching is silly and maybe even pathetic, i am with you. you want to argue that a player isn't yours if someone else is able to put more effort in than you, and thinking otherwise makes you a 21st century snowflake, i am with you. you want to hunt those people down and savagely murder them, i am with you. but denying that poaching is acceptable in the HD game-slang lexicon, and you've lost me. substance over semantics!
Screwing? Hasn't even bought me dinner yet.
8/12/2019 4:42 PM
From Mirriam-Webster

Definition of poach (Entry 2 of 2)

intransitive verb

1: to encroach upon especially for the purpose of taking something
2: to trespass for the purpose of stealing gamealso : to take game or fish illegally

transitive verb

1: to trespass ona field poached too frequently by the amateur— The Times Literary Supplement (London)
2a: to take (game or fish) by illegal methods
b: to appropriate (something) as one's own
c: to attract (someone, such as an employee or customer) away from a competitor

to attract (someone, such as an employee or customer) away from a competitor.
Sounds an awful like HD recruiting to me.
8/12/2019 4:54 PM
"Also using google as a dictionary is pretty lame."

Definition of lame

(Entry 1 of 5)

1a: having a body part and especially a limb so disabled as to impair freedom of movementThe accident left him lame for life.
b: marked by stiffness and sorenessa lame shoulder
2: lacking needful or desirable substance : WEAK, INEFFECTUALa lame excuse
3slang : not being in the know : SQUAREShe's cool, but her boyfriend is so lame.

8/12/2019 4:56 PM
"i am finally catching on to why you get in so many arguments about nothing"

Cliff Clavin effect
8/12/2019 5:05 PM
Posted by gillispie1 on 8/12/2019 4:42:00 PM (view original):
Point of order:

Carry on.

Poach (verb)

informalnab, swipe;
informalnick, pinch

poach2
/poCH/
verb

informalnab, swipe;
      informalnick, pinch

2. poaching in HD is 'game-slang' if you will, which i am not going to define because it is generally understood what that means. every game with a community has game slang, and more or less everybody accepts it. i am finally catching on to why you get in so many arguments about nothing - its because you get too concerned with semantics and are unwilling to look beyond, to the meaning behind the words. you want to argue that whining about poaching is silly and maybe even pathetic, i am with you. you want to argue that a player isn't yours if someone else is able to put more effort in than you, and thinking otherwise makes you a 21st century snowflake, i am with you. you want to hunt those people down and savagely murder them, i am with you. but denying that poaching is even an acceptable term in the HD game-slang lexicon, and you've gone too far. substance over semantics!
It isn’t semantics. Words mean things. This is why Benis’s bent toward obfuscation is damaging to the game, and why I am here to correct him, even though he pretends to have blocked me.

When someone says “he poached that recruit from me”, the term “poached” is supposed to imply the other guy did something wrong, bad, against the rules, etc. This is a faulty understanding of the game, and employing it, encouraging it, allowing it to pass without comment does a disservice to the whole community. What is actually being said is “he beat me for a recruit I thought I had in the bag”. But no one “owns” a recruit until the recruit signs. None of the definitions of “poach” that Benis tries to bold make any sense in HD, unless you mistakenly think you own a recruit before the recruit has signed with a team. This isn’t semantics, this is getting to the heart of a lot of dissatisfaction.
8/12/2019 6:18 PM
Oh thank GOD poopshoe is here to correct me. HD would be in absolute SHAMBLES if he wasn't here to set the story straight. I'm sure the populations would be down 75% instead of only 50% if it weren't for him single handily pontificating to the masses.

"allowing it to pass without comment."

This is the most self absorbed post I've ever read. I realize that you think you're the most intelligent person who has ever walked the Earth and we should all just bow down to your superior intelligence but did it ever occur to you that you're not the only person with a functioning brain? People can distinguish between what is internet slang for a fake basketball game and what is an illegal activity of hunting endangered animals. And if they can't, you're not going to change their ******* minds anyway by writing 1000 words on why they should just shut up and listen to you. You are influencing NOTHING and delusional to think otherwise.

Poopshoe - the hero we don't deserve and didn't know we even needed.
8/12/2019 6:59 PM
Oh my goodness people!!! It's SLANG! Why do we need to be corrected for bad grammar here?! Ridiculous. I can't believe it! (Oops.... i should say "i can NOT believe it! I'm not sure if contractions are accepted in the HD Forum world.)
8/12/2019 7:08 PM
Posted by Benis on 8/12/2019 6:59:00 PM (view original):
Oh thank GOD poopshoe is here to correct me. HD would be in absolute SHAMBLES if he wasn't here to set the story straight. I'm sure the populations would be down 75% instead of only 50% if it weren't for him single handily pontificating to the masses.

"allowing it to pass without comment."

This is the most self absorbed post I've ever read. I realize that you think you're the most intelligent person who has ever walked the Earth and we should all just bow down to your superior intelligence but did it ever occur to you that you're not the only person with a functioning brain? People can distinguish between what is internet slang for a fake basketball game and what is an illegal activity of hunting endangered animals. And if they can't, you're not going to change their ******* minds anyway by writing 1000 words on why they should just shut up and listen to you. You are influencing NOTHING and delusional to think otherwise.

Poopshoe - the hero we don't deserve and didn't know we even needed.
Benis will, of course, be Benis, using 3rd grade insults to try to convince himself that “poopshoe” is a giant, delusional nerd just trying to sound intelligent. Whatever you gotta do, man. I have all the friends I want, and I think it’s pretty obvious I don’t give any sh!ts at all about what internet people think about me personally. But if it will make you feel better, you should start a poll and see who is more popular among people who hang out on the HD forums. I promise to only vote twice.

But regardless of the outcome, I will still be here to correct you and make you google big words when you say something stupid. You are welcome.
8/12/2019 7:28 PM
Who do you like more?
Votes: 17
(Last vote received: 8/14/2019 2:27 PM)
8/12/2019 7:40 PM
Posted by topdogggbm on 8/12/2019 7:08:00 PM (view original):
Oh my goodness people!!! It's SLANG! Why do we need to be corrected for bad grammar here?! Ridiculous. I can't believe it! (Oops.... i should say "i can NOT believe it! I'm not sure if contractions are accepted in the HD Forum world.)
Caaaaareful topdog. Sheriff Shoe doesn't take kindly to those who disrespect the sanctity of the HD forums.
8/12/2019 7:46 PM (edited)
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5|6|7 Next ▸
Most Whines, no championships Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.