Formula for Study Hall Topic

Posted by gillispie1 on 7/1/2015 12:47:00 PM (view original):
how much risk you want to take is a factor, but here is a good rule of thumb:
- all sophmores and up, and freshman with a 3.0 or better, get 0 minutes until midterms (this is very low risk and really should be done by everyone who can trust themselves to check around midterms)
- freshman between 2 and 3 you can do 0 till midterms if you can tolerate the risk. but you can also do like 5-10m if you want from the get go. i generally do 0 until mid terms, and generally have no problems except when i forget to check back in. i haven't forgotten to check in like a year, and in that time, i think ive had 1 player flunk out on a team i co-coach (so like 1 in 30-40 seasons or something). if you forget to check in it can be bad though, i had like 1 ineligible player per season for a long time there.
- if  you want to be safe, on occasion with an extremely important soph on like a championship contender, if they are also extremely dumb, ill give them like 5m from the start. ive probably done that like 2x in the last 5 years.
Once you check in at mid-terms how many minutes do you give to players that are in danger of failing?
7/5/2015 11:14 AM
Wow I'm not the most experienced coach but I've been around for a little while and this is the first time I've ever read that HS GPA is the determining factor in how fast recruits learn the O/D sets!! I've gone by AE's suggestion with my own little twist. I believe he suggested subtracting the HS GPA from 4 and starting there, I have found that subtracting from 3.5 keeps them out if the yellow most of the time, but I never go more than 10 and that's if the recruit comes in with a low 2 HS GPA. Crazy!! I guess I need to start cutting back. Another general rule I follow is if they are yellow at midterms I subtract their GPA from 2.4 and add that many minutes of SH and I've never had an ineligible player on any of my teams. I guess I've always been overly focused on getting these kids a good education!! Lol
7/6/2015 5:16 AM
I give all frosh 10 minutes. And Zero after that. Usually after the second midterm, if the frosh's GPA is above 3.2 then I drop it to zero.

If a frosh has a GPA under 2.5 then I give them 12 minutes. I seldom have to give them any minutes in their soph and above years.
7/7/2015 9:28 PM
Tedlucacs wrote - Don't like to recruit guys with sub-2.5, unless they have really good potential since HS GPA determines how fast they learn your sets.

Seriously?!  this is news.   I thought it started with their previous experience (the sets their HS coach used) and then had to do with WE.    Tying learning to GPA makes total sense, I have just never heard this before.
7/8/2015 11:06 AM
◂ Prev 12
Formula for Study Hall Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.