LOL at this idiot Topic

Posted by dahsdebater on 7/13/2015 1:20:00 PM (view original):
Posted by moy23 on 7/13/2015 3:46:00 AM (view original):
Posted by The Taint on 7/13/2015 12:39:00 AM (view original):
Posted by moy23 on 7/12/2015 2:18:00 PM (view original):
Posted by toddcommish on 7/12/2015 1:50:00 PM (view original):
Posted by moy23 on 7/12/2015 1:41:00 PM (view original):
I don't see how one can argue gay marriage is harmful to society so it should be prohibited

And then not argue the the same stance on the following:

Carbon Emissions are harmful to society so SUVs should be prohibited
Overpopulation is harmful to society so having too many kids should be prohibited
Single parents are harmful to society so divorce should be prohibited.

The best thing about the US is people can make choices (and one can only hope they are the right choices). I personally believe the traditional family unit is best for kids and I choose to have a traditional family. I think gay sex is appalling but to each their own. I also personally believe having extended family nearby is good for my kids so I stay in this god forsaken state of Illinois. My choice. That's what's nice about America - 'choice'. What society needs is a bit more 'tolerance'.

You mean "tolerance" like the Gay Pride rainbow flag is acceptable, but the Southern Dixie stars and bars isn't?
There should be the same tolerance regarding the Confederate Flag as there is the gay rainbow flag. The Confederate Flag is a symbol of southern pride for MOST southerners (and quite frankly it should be the decision of the people of South Carolina to determine if it flies or not). It's too bad it was taken down because of an intolerant vocal minority, many who have never even been to South Carolina. I also think there should be tolerance for Christian bakers that don't want to support gay weddings. Unfortunately there is a HUGE lack of tolerance these days and we all are going to pay for it when we realize our freedom of choice has been stripped away and all we are left with is political correctness.
It actually was the decision of the people as the people they elected to office are the people who chose to take the flag down.

It was - after a bunch of know nothings from out of state applied pressure for them to do so. Politicians and Corporations these days have no backbone and would rather be Politically Correct than stand up and do what's right. We've seen this over and over and over again.
So flying the flag of a defunct failed state that existed exclusively to fight a war to preserve an economic system based on slave labor is "right?"

Best case scenario, for the folks arguing in favor of flying the Confederate flag, would seem to be a position in which there is no inherent right or wrong...
Look, it's easy in 2015 to look back 150+ years and say "WTF?  Slavery?  You gotta be kidding me!!!"

The defunct failed state was fighting for a way of life.  They felt they were being legislated out of business and fought for their livelihood.    There was another country with stars and bars that did the same thing. 
7/13/2015 1:49 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 7/13/2015 1:45:00 PM (view original):
I don't see how one can argue gay marriage is harmful to society so it should be prohibited

Overpopulation is harmful to society so having too many kids should be prohibited

The best thing about the US is people can make choices (and one can only hope they are the right choices). I personally believe the traditional family unit is best for kids and I choose to have a traditional family. I think gay sex is appalling but to each their own. I also personally believe having extended family nearby is good for my kids so I stay in this god forsaken state of Illinois. My choice. That's what's nice about America - 'choice'. What society needs is a bit more 'tolerance'.

You mean "tolerance" like the Gay Pride rainbow flag is acceptable, but the Southern Dixie stars and bars isn't?
There should be the same tolerance regarding the Confederate Flag as there is the gay rainbow flag. The Confederate Flag is a symbol of southern pride for MOST southerners (and quite frankly it should be the decision of the people of South Carolina to determine if it flies or not). It's too bad it was taken down because of an intolerant vocal minority, many who have never even been to South Carolina. I also think there should be tolerance for Christian bakers that don't want to support gay weddings. Unfortunately there is a HUGE lack of tolerance these days and we all are going to pay for it when we realize our freedom of choice has been stripped away and all we are left with is political correctness.
It actually was the decision of the people as the people they elected to office are the people who chose to take the flag down.

It was - after a bunch of know nothings from out of state applied pressure for them to do so. Politicians and Corporations these days have no backbone and would rather be Politically Correct than stand up and do what's right. We've seen this over and over and over again.
So flying the flag of a defunct failed state that existed exclusively to fight a war to preserve an economic system based on slave labor is "right?"

Best case scenario, for the folks arguing in favor of flying the Confederate flag, would seem to be a position in which there is no inherent right or wrong...
Another person who doesn't understand history.
Where is he wrong?
7/13/2015 1:52 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by MikeT23 on 7/13/2015 1:49:00 PM (view original):

Look, it's easy in 2015 to look back 150+ years and say "WTF?  Slavery?  You gotta be kidding me!!!"

The defunct failed state was fighting for a way of life.  They felt they were being legislated out of business and fought for their livelihood.    There was another country with stars and bars that did the same thing. 
I think you're making my point for me.  It IS 150+ years later.  I'm not indicting the states that seceded; one could certainly argue that attempts at diplomacy from both sides were poor, at best, but things had been escalating for quite a while at that point.  We're not talking about the merits of secession in the 1850s.  We're talking about the merits of flying Confederate flags at government buildings in 2015, with the benefit of hindsight.
7/13/2015 2:07 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 7/13/2015 1:45:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 7/13/2015 1:43:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 7/13/2015 1:00:00 PM (view original):
Posted by toddcommish on 7/13/2015 12:57:00 PM (view original):
The Confederate flag doesn't stand for white supremacy any more than the original stars-and-stripes (y'know, the stars in a circle) stood for slavery.  'Cause they had slaves all over the union in 1776....
I disagree.

The Confederate Flag is a symbol of the South's fight to keep slavery legal.

NEWSFLASH!!!

You don't get to dictate what things mean to all people.
Newsflash!!! Certain symbols have generally accepted meanings. The Confederate Flag is a symbol of the South's side of the Civil War.
You're partially right.  Certain symbols have generally accepted meanings.

The generally accepted meaning of the Confederate flag is not racist according to a recent CNN poll.

7/13/2015 2:11 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 7/13/2015 2:11:00 PM (view original):
The Confederate flag doesn't stand for white supremacy any more than the original stars-and-stripes (y'know, the stars in a circle) stood for slavery.  'Cause they had slaves all over the union in 1776....
I disagree.

NEWSFLASH!!!

Newsflash!!! Certain symbols have generally accepted meanings. The Confederate Flag is a symbol of the South's side of the Civil War.

The generally accepted meaning of the Confederate flag is not racist according to a recent CNN poll.

Pride in the South's fight to keep slavery legal. That CNN poll responders don't consider that racist is interesting, but doesn't change what the flag stands for.
7/13/2015 2:23 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 7/13/2015 1:52:00 PM (view original):

Where is he wrong?
Tec?
7/13/2015 2:25 PM
Posted by dahsdebater on 7/13/2015 2:07:00 PM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 7/13/2015 1:49:00 PM (view original):

I think you're making my point for me.  It IS 150+ years later.  I'm not indicting the states that seceded; one could certainly argue that attempts at diplomacy from both sides were poor, at best, but things had been escalating for quite a while at that point.  We're not talking about the merits of secession in the 1850s.  We're talking about the merits of flying Confederate flags at government buildings in 2015, with the benefit of hindsight.
Yes, I detailed the lead up to the war in the other thread.   Tariff of 1828 was the beginning.   Adding "free states" continued the beginning of the war.

But my point is that the Confederate flag can have more than one meaning.  People who have lived in the south all their lives undoubtedly lost a relative under that flag.   That might just mean something to them. 

Flying over a gov't building?   Meh.   Shouldn't be a big deal either way.   And, of course, the start of the renewed cause to remove it was Dylann Roof.   Not related in any way. 
7/13/2015 2:49 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 7/13/2015 2:23:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 7/13/2015 2:11:00 PM (view original):
I disagree.

NEWSFLASH!!!

Pride in the South's fight to keep slavery legal. That CNN poll responders don't consider that racist is interesting, but doesn't change what the flag stands for.
Because your perception of "reality" trumps everybody elses?

WTF is wrong with you?

7/13/2015 3:01 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 7/13/2015 2:25:00 PM (view original):

Where is he wrong?
Tec?
WTF is wrong with you?

Why do you insist on trying to reopen the SAME ******* ARGUMENTS in different threads?

You are a complete moron.

7/13/2015 3:03 PM
He's a functional retard.

I'm surprised he hasn't brought up Edgar Martinez.
7/13/2015 3:07 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 7/13/2015 3:03:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 7/13/2015 2:25:00 PM (view original):

Where is he wrong?
Tec?
WTF is wrong with you?

Why do you insist on trying to reopen the SAME ******* ARGUMENTS in different threads?

You are a complete moron.

Try to keep up. moy and tardcommish brought this topic up. Then you responded to dahs and I asked a question regarding your response to dahs.

Which you still haven't answered. Because dahs was right.
7/13/2015 3:22 PM
Please refer to the "South Carolina" thread.  This was answered ad nauseam.

Oh, that's right.  You don't acknowledge anything that doesn't fit your views.

7/13/2015 3:32 PM
◂ Prev 1...14|15|16|17|18...20 Next ▸
LOL at this idiot Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.