best announcers Topic

Posted by d_rock97 on 7/10/2015 2:33:00 AM (view original):
Don't get what's so great about Vin Scully.
Why do you hate America?

7/10/2015 3:20 PM (edited)
The amount of money I would pay to listen to Vin Scully read the phone book, a technical manual, or court reports to me is disturbingly high.

I like my job, but would love it much more if Vin Scully would just do a running commentary of my entire work day right over my shoulder.

People who do not like Vin Scully are like people who don't like dogs....of questionable moral fiber and not to be associated with.

7/10/2015 3:24 PM
I don't like him, I don't hate him. To me, he's just there. I don't get what's so great about him. Pinotfan did a good job explaining but I guess I will always prefer (can't think of a better word) loud, excited people over laid back quiet people
7/10/2015 4:28 PM
You probably also prefer Jack Daniel's to an 18 bar single malt scotch.  To each their own.
7/10/2015 5:08 PM
Posted by evil_twin on 7/10/2015 3:24:00 PM (view original):
The amount of money I would pay to listen to Vin Scully read the phone book, a technical manual, or court reports to me is disturbingly high.

I like my job, but would love it much more if Vin Scully would just do a running commentary of my entire work day right over my shoulder.

People who do not like Vin Scully are like people who don't like dogs....of questionable moral fiber and not to be associated with.

Where's the "Rec" button?!?  This...so much this!!!
7/10/2015 10:37 PM
Jack Buck, Al Michaels, Herb Carneal
7/11/2015 2:05 AM
Glad to see Ernie Harwell mentioned earlier.  He's my #2 behind Vin Scully, who "is the best there ever was".   I liked Lon Simmons and like John Miller, too.  
7/11/2015 2:10 AM
Posted by evil_twin on 7/9/2015 11:15:00 AM (view original):
Vin Scully is #1 hands down, end of discussion.

For #2, I'd make a case for Bob Costas.

The old 1980's NBC Game Of The Week teams of Scully with Joe Garagiola and Costas with Tony Kubek were top notch.

As a Minnesota fan growing up in the 70's/80s....Herb Carneal was great to listen to.

Hawk Harrelson, Ron Darling, Jerry Remy, Michael Kay, John Sterling and Harry Carray make/made my stomach turn to have to listen to them.
I pretty much agree with this whole assessment all around. 

I admit that I loved Phil Rizzutto, silly man that he was in many ways as an announcer, but his reading off birthdays, anniversaries and the storytelling during rain delays made the Yankees seem like a community. Light years from the Steinbrenner and post-Steinbrenner empire thing. But I don't expect this to be a common sentiment. I even have a book of "poetry" by him, which is really just a collection of phrases, sayings and commentary that read like wonderful poetry, even taken out of context. 

But as to actual quality announcing I agree with this list but would add Curt Gowdy, who was taken off the team with Garagiola and Kubek for being critical of a crucial call in the 1975 World Series that cost the Red Sox a game. He was a great announcer as well. 
7/11/2015 7:54 AM
Posted by frazzman80 on 7/9/2015 5:27:00 PM (view original):
Vin Scully is so good that I've gotten my wife (who will watch every Rangers game with me) to not only watch random Dodgers games that I have the opportunity to watch on MLB network, but to actually ask me how Vin knows all the stuff he does. Vin is a gift that I wish my 2 year-old could experience/appreciate.

I really like Eric Nadel (the Rangers radio broadcast voice). He's way better than Busby/TAG but I get stuck listening to them as the radio/satellite don't synch. Milo Hamilton was really great and had some epic home run calls.

I don't know what I'm going to do without Ralph Strangis for my Stars games this year. Ralph and Razor were amazing...so we'll see if Razor connects well with Strader.

Can't stand Joe Buck and loathed McCarver. So of course I had to suffer through Joe Buck for the U.S. Open a few weeks ago!!!
Yep. I don't like Buck at all, and while McCarver does give some very insightful analysis, he is also annoying in a lot of ways. Joe Morgan is intolerable. I agree with those who like Ken Singleton, though I can't help but feel that he would benefit from some more formal training as an announcer and could be really good. But certainly as a personality he is likeable and respectful of players, while being critical when it worth being so. 
7/11/2015 7:57 AM
The first broadcast pair that I recall from my childhood (mid-60s) were Curt Gowdy and PeeWee Reese.... helped introduce this Canadian youngster to the game.

Later, once the Expos came around and were finally starting to get good), the tandem of Dave Van Horne and Duke Snider were a wonderful team both on radio and TV. Van Horne was not showy, but did his job extremely well. Duke was a joy to listen to -- often recounting anecdotes from the years with the Dodgers.  
7/11/2015 8:47 AM
Posted by cleansox on 7/8/2015 10:29:00 PM (view original):
vin scully? al michaels?? jerry remy, joe castig?? jack buck??
Past announcers: Harry Kalas.
7/11/2015 8:58 AM
I was watching the MLB broadcast of the Yanks-Red Sox game last night, and there was a situation where McCann was on third and Napoli botches a grounder. The ball stays in the infield; McCann stays on third.  Costas goes off about how McCann should have scored; his broadcast partner explains that going on contact was not a viable play at that point in the game and, since the ball didn't carom into the outfield, that would have been the only way McCann could have scored on that play.  Later, Costas brings it up again saying that even he or his broadcast partner could have scored on that play; he is politely reminded that McCann and the Yankees had done the right thing and McCann did nothing wrong.  Then Costas brings it up again going to commercial!  What an ***.
7/11/2015 11:36 AM
I agree with Italy on Gowdy, for some reason or another he dropped from my mind. He called the 1968 WS, which featured the Tiger team introducing me to baseball as a boy. For that reason alone, he was always a "voice of baseball" to me. Gowdy was very good.

I also agree with pinot concerning Costas. He is so damned sanctimonious and so damned often incorrect in his assessments.
7/11/2015 3:00 PM
I am watching the Yanks-BoSox on TBS this morning, and somehow the topic of Vin comes up. One of the announcers - don't recall who - offered that being the announcer to follow Vin will be a harder job than being the shortstop to follow Jeter.  Ultimately you want to be the announcer that follows the announcer that follows Vin.  
7/12/2015 3:16 PM
Italy touched upon why Scully is great -- it's all the little tidbits of info about the player he weaves into his commentary as the game plays and he doesn't miss a beat with the play by play...does it all by himself.

I think Dave Simms for the Mariners is a good broadcaster. He seems to know a lot about the game and has a nice way about his voice and way he calls a game.

There are broadcasters who are easy to not like for various reasons...but can be entertaining. Rizzuto, Carey, Sterling and Harrelson fit that mold for me. Most of Sterling's HR calls are obnoxious but some of them are pretty great...Gardy goes yardy, Gardner plants one...Bern Baby Bern...an ABomb, by ARod...etc. Bob Ueker is a little more knowledgable than he is given credit for and I love his HR call...especially for that scum bag Ryan Braun.

The worst are the guys that do ESPN or NBC...Kruk, Schilling, Buck (who has toned it down and gotten better), McCarver (the worst...he's just an ***).

MLB Network has the best group. Really can't go wrong with any of them.
7/12/2015 5:56 PM
◂ Prev 123 Next ▸
best announcers Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.