You're screwed!

Ok, not really. There should be a clear #1 or 2 guys that should be easy 'all star' picks. But with the way the new fuzzy ratings are, you may not get the best guy in the draft at #1 anymore. Even if he is a college guy and even if you had $20 million in college scouting.
9/29/2015 10:50 AM
I've done OK with 16m but I have no idea how much others had so there's that.
9/29/2015 12:04 PM
Posted by musketeer22 on 9/29/2015 10:34:00 AM (view original):
Bump. 18/2 College/HS budget and I have the #1 pick in the Show II. Got numbers for 238 players, about half and half. 

How fuzzy have the numbers at the top of the draft been with 18 mil scouting? 
musketeer-- with 18/2 COL/HS you should have gotten >500 players, almost all COL.  Are you sure it's not 18 HS, 2 COL?
9/29/2015 2:55 PM
I'm actually really liking the new fuzzy ratings now. It is leading to some tough decisions, which I like because it means its going to be tough for everyone else. 

My first year of fuzzy ratings I had $14 million in HS and drafted this guy 9th overall:

https://www.whatifsports.com/HBD/Pages/Popups/PlayerProfile.aspx?pid=7449501

Not a bust, he'll make the majors, but probably only as a setup guy or a LRA at best, not really top 10 material.

Compare that to the guy that I drafted 24th overall the season previous: 

https://www.whatifsports.com/HBD/Pages/Popups/PlayerProfile.aspx?pid=7283218

Who looks like the better all around pitcher. 

Now, that being said, this season, the tough decisions are starting to arise. I ended up winning the WS last season so I'm picking 32nd overall. I have a type A that I don't plan on resigning but I can't really see anyone else signing him (though I have been wrong before). 

I have a current payroll of $55 million, $83 total payroll budgeted, with an estimated $35 million in arb and resigning my previous players. $20 mill medical and training, HS is $14, prospect $20 Int $14 and coaches $14.

Normally in this situation, most owners would drop HS, Prospect, and INT by $4 million each to sign all their previous players and pick up a few more, but I'm not sure this year. From how shaky the draft was last year, if I up my HS to 18 and my type A gets signed, I could still potentially end up getting 2-3 decent players with my picks. If I drop my HS to 10 or keep it at 14 the chance of that becomes much lower. 

I still haven't decided what I'm going to do yet, but I feel like decisions like these add a little more fun to the game and make it a little less cookie cutter. I kinda like it.
10/7/2015 12:37 PM
What has everyone's experience been with pitchers projected to have too low of a durability to start? Every draft now I seem to see several guys projected to have the stamina to start but not the durability. Looks like a typical league only has about 10 or so of these types of pitchers in the majors though. Its just a dice roll I guess...picking someone with 12 or 15 stamina and hoping they have enough to actually start in the bigs.
10/13/2015 4:00 PM
This isn't really an answer to your question but here's how I approach low dur or low stm pitchers who COULD start.

If they're good enough, use them as SP.   Find a way to work around the 52 STM(lower pitch counts) or 11 DUR(spot starter when 100%).   You have to find 1450 innings(more or less).   If you've got a guy who'll give you 125 good ones, makes sure he gets 125 innings.   My best current example is Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Will Mahoney.    Why would I NOT want to make sure he gets his 120ish?
10/13/2015 4:07 PM
I do likely overvalue the ability to be a "true" starting pitcher. I've always bumped up guys who can take the ball every fifth day vs. relievers.
10/13/2015 4:55 PM
What are the low ends for stamina and durability in determining five-man rotation starters? 
10/13/2015 9:11 PM
If you're going to use a Mahoney, you compensate with other guys.    Three rotation mates:

Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Jose Hernandez
Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Jimmy Powell
Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Kyle Anderson

The first two were throwing 220+ and Anderson actually had the best DUR/STM combo. 
10/13/2015 9:33 PM
That Jimmy Powell guy seems pretty good.
10/13/2015 10:15 PM
He goes by The Great Jimmy Powell.

Best player I've had.    And he gives my some added flexibility with my staff.   Back when I drafted Mahoney, I traded for Anderson and laid out my pitching staff for the next 4-5 seasons.   But that goes back to using a very good pitcher at SP even if his DUR/STM doesn't quite cut it.    IMO, it would be dumb to not get Mahoney as many innings as possible.   And that's only possible as a SP.
10/14/2015 9:23 AM
Jimmy Powell was my ***** for about three straight seasons.
10/14/2015 11:19 AM
The Great Jimmy Powell has owned your weakass team for years. 
10/14/2015 12:05 PM
Posted by MikeT23 on 10/14/2015 9:23:00 AM (view original):
He goes by The Great Jimmy Powell.

Best player I've had.    And he gives my some added flexibility with my staff.   Back when I drafted Mahoney, I traded for Anderson and laid out my pitching staff for the next 4-5 seasons.   But that goes back to using a very good pitcher at SP even if his DUR/STM doesn't quite cut it.    IMO, it would be dumb to not get Mahoney as many innings as possible.   And that's only possible as a SP.
I remember now.   My rotation was going to be Powell, Mahoney, Anderson, Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Andres Castilla and Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Ivan Bonilla.   But Castilla got hurt and Bonilla wasn't nearly as effective as I thought he'd be.  So Hernandez was thrown into the mix earlier than anticipated and performed better than expected.   That put Castilla in the pen. 
10/14/2015 12:11 PM
◂ Prev 123456

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.