TROY TULOWITZKI for JOSE REYES!!!! Topic

This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by The Taint on 8/14/2015 2:24:00 AM (view original):
Posted by toddcommish on 8/5/2015 3:50:00 PM (view original):
Being over 40, I dispute the characterization that older fans "reject" the advanced metrics currently being touted (stupid **** like BABIP or FiP).  I think the older fans recognize that stats can give the wrong impression, and that sometimes, the Eye test tells you who the good ballplayers are.
Fuckin A. We agree on something. I think that's twice now. The first time being Asian masseuses are the best.
It's kind of an odd thing for todd to say he "dispute[s] the characterization that older fans 'reject' the advanced metrics," and then, three words later, call BABIP and FIP "stupid ****."

Reasonable people can disagree on the usefulness of any stat--BABIP, era, pitcher W/L, WHIP, etc.--but one thing is pretty clear, the eye test, at least at the major league level, is useless. It's why teams don't employ advanced scouts any more. Ever player at the major league level is good. So good that the difference between the good and the bad requires measurement two or three spots to the right of the decimal.

The idea that todd (or anyone) could look at a major leaguer, absent statistical context or name recognition, and be able to tell if he's a .310/.380/.490 guy or a .260/.295/.380 guy, is laughable.
8/14/2015 12:34 PM

Made of glass.    I took 3 harder hits just watching sports yesterday.    Dude could break a hand picking his nose.

9/13/2015 10:03 AM
Tulo strained a vocal cord arguing balls/strikes.   Out til November.
10/19/2015 10:50 PM
◂ Prev 1...5|6|7
TROY TULOWITZKI for JOSE REYES!!!! Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.