Low minutes players = lousy results? Topic

Posted by thohoops on 8/3/2015 1:53:00 PM (view original):
snips from a WIS support thread . .. 

QUESTION

Let's say I have two players that each logged 410 actual minutes. The "starter" had 10 games @ 41 minutes, while "bench" had 82 games @ 5 minutes. The baseline SIM MPG is reported as "5" in both cases.

Assume both players are slotted for 30 minutes using the "lineup" control.

Does the SIM treat the players differently or the same ?

ANSWER

As far as fatigue goes, only total real-life minutes matter, so both would be treated the same in that regard. 

However, there is also a penalty in the engine that affects a player's efficiency if his usage is significantly higher than what he did in real life. So a true real-life bench player will likely be negatively affected if a coach tries to play him major minutes in a sim game. A true real-life starter would be less likely to be affected by that penalty, assuming he had a higher usage rate per game in real life.
Trust me when I say this:  The correct answer has already been stated.  Don't believe me?  Draft 85-86 Jordan & play him 25 mpg.  Tell me what happens.
8/3/2015 4:09 PM
Posted by ashamael on 8/3/2015 4:09:00 PM (view original):
Posted by thohoops on 8/3/2015 1:53:00 PM (view original):
snips from a WIS support thread . .. 

QUESTION

Let's say I have two players that each logged 410 actual minutes. The "starter" had 10 games @ 41 minutes, while "bench" had 82 games @ 5 minutes. The baseline SIM MPG is reported as "5" in both cases.

Assume both players are slotted for 30 minutes using the "lineup" control.

Does the SIM treat the players differently or the same ?

ANSWER

As far as fatigue goes, only total real-life minutes matter, so both would be treated the same in that regard. 

However, there is also a penalty in the engine that affects a player's efficiency if his usage is significantly higher than what he did in real life. So a true real-life bench player will likely be negatively affected if a coach tries to play him major minutes in a sim game. A true real-life starter would be less likely to be affected by that penalty, assuming he had a higher usage rate per game in real life.
Trust me when I say this:  The correct answer has already been stated.  Don't believe me?  Draft 85-86 Jordan & play him 25 mpg.  Tell me what happens.
haha -- oh yes, indeed ! ! !  

I actually did a few experiments a few years ago.  In particular, the "starter" played miserably when used only for small number of games at the end of the season (to eliminate fatigue factor).

Results were duly reported to the WIS support thread and the response was "we like how the SIM works" . . . 

8/3/2015 5:47 PM
◂ Prev 12
Low minutes players = lousy results? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.