Decade Draft League 10--3rd Milleniun) Topic

The best two names I can think of for my middle of the road team are Scrubs and Misfits. I'll pick a name later.
8/4/2015 10:29 AM
Posted by robusk on 8/4/2015 10:08:00 AM (view original):
That is a fine list, but Breaking Bad is, while far and away better than everything below it, a clear number two.  The Wire is the greatest piece of human generated art in this century if not this and the last.  And it isn't close.
I struggled with which one is better between the two for some time, and I couldn't come to a solution because they both pull you in with great writing.  The fourth season of The Wire is pure magic (as is season 4 of Breaking Bad and Dexter, but not as good as The Wire's fourth)  The Wire pulled me in completely within 4 episodes of season one and then lost me in the first half of season two then got me back for good.  I felt the final season was a little soft, but I may have been jaded because season four is SO AMAZING!

Breaking Bad was slow starting but by the time you got half way into season two you were all in...there were slow points in seasons 3 and 4 that seemed plodding, but the final season and the last four episodes were so insanely awesome that it elevated it into a tie.  Walter White is the most iconic character of the era and above that you have the most iconic villian in Gus Fring, but The Wire is the most unbelievable total cast (I mean Bunk and McNulty, Kima and Herc, Avon and Stringer Bell, Snoop, Carcetti, Marlo, Prop Joe, Broadie, Lester, I hate Rawls with the fire of 1000 suns, and my two favorites Bubbles and Omar....holy crap!).  I don't know how to put one above the other.  I quote them both often.  My friends and I go to get Schraderbraus at the bar.  I think of Omar when I buy cereal.  I think of Jimmy/Saul when I talk to a lawyer.  I can't see Wood Harris, Aaron Paul, Dean Norris, Bob Odenkirk (and I loved Mr. Show), Idris Elba, Dominic West, Jonathan Banks, John Doman, Bryan Cranston, and Anna Dunn without thinking of these roles.

I sat with the TV off after specific episodes just going "holy crap what did I just see."  I watched both shows from the beginning when I was the only of my friends to watch them, and I feel almost a weird sense of pride having rode that train that long.  I can see either show being number one, and I would never argue just as long as those are one and two in any order I am fine.

8/4/2015 10:37 AM
Posted by superrobb420 on 8/4/2015 10:25:00 AM (view original):
You guys are crazy. Shield should be higher than most of those shows. Including Breaking Bad. It's as if no one remembers how bad the first two seasons of Breaking Bad were. Then that ending? ugh.
Loved The Shield and I feel as though they did the best job of wrapping the first episode into the entire show including the final episode.  Walton Goggins forever proved himself to be awesome...only to totally validate this in Justified and his mind blowing performance/character in Sons of Anarchy.  I love The Shield and I think that Vic Mackey was beyond awesome, but it isn't over Breaking Bad.  Season one and two laid a lot of groundwork for the characters and to understand who they are and the motivations.  Besides season one and two have some great things.  LIke...Tuco, the creation of Heisenburg, the whole Jane story line, Hank's promotion and PTSD, meeting Saul, Mike, Gus, and the titles of episodes 1,4,10, and 13 in season two being used to foreshadow and important moment that was caused by Walt and was his turning point towards evil.  

The ending of Breaking Bad was awesome.  The last four episodes were holy crap the whole way through.  Ozymandius is an amazing achievement and the final step of Walt becoming purely evil.  The final episode was great and it ended perfect.  Not to take anything away from Wyms/Mackey/FBI/Interrogation Room (I do it like this to prevent spoilers, because it is one of the greatest holy crap moments).  I also loved the end of season 5 Lem/Shane/Car/the song Disarm....AMAZING!

8/4/2015 11:08 AM (edited)
You guys are crazy. Shield should be higher than most of those shows. Including Breaking Bad. It's as if no one remembers how bad the first two seasons of Breaking Bad were. Then that ending? ugh.
The Shield was fine, but it looks better in hindsight purely because of how they wrapped that show up.  It was not nearly as tight as BB, part of which is a systemic issue with how many episodes they chose to produce back then.  It has like twice the amount of episodes BB does.
8/4/2015 11:18 AM
I'll take True Detective.
8/4/2015 11:25 AM
What's a tv...I don't think I own one.
8/4/2015 11:57 AM
Ok...wtf is cmac. Piiiiiiick!!!! @###&=:O =:O :-[ :-[ :-\ :-\ :-\ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-| :-| :-[ :-[ :-[ FFSD
8/4/2015 12:03 PM
Posted by hardened on 8/4/2015 11:08:00 AM (view original):
Loved The Shield and I feel as though they did the best job of wrapping the first episode into the entire show including the final episode.  Walton Goggins forever proved himself to be awesome...only to totally validate this in Justified and his mind blowing performance/character in Sons of Anarchy.  I love The Shield and I think that Vic Mackey was beyond awesome, but it isn't over Breaking Bad.  Season one and two laid a lot of groundwork for the characters and to understand who they are and the motivations.  Besides season one and two have some great things.  LIke...Tuco, the creation of Heisenburg, the whole Jane story line, Hank's promotion and PTSD, meeting Saul, Mike, Gus, and the titles of episodes 1,4,10, and 13 in season two being used to foreshadow and important moment that was caused by Walt and was his turning point towards evil.  

The ending of Breaking Bad was awesome.  The last four episodes were holy crap the whole way through.  Ozymandius is an amazing achievement and the final step of Walt becoming purely evil.  The final episode was great and it ended perfect.  Not to take anything away from Wyms/Mackey/FBI/Interrogation Room (I do it like this to prevent spoilers, because it is one of the greatest holy crap moments).  I also loved the end of season 5 Lem/Shane/Car/the song Disarm....AMAZING!

I understand that they were laying groundwork. Doesn't make it any less boring. Lots of scenes sitting at that breakfast table watching people chew. Also, when I talk about the ending, I mean the final episode when Walt is suddenly MacGuyver and can kill a dozen Nazis with his car remote. Then again I thought it was a copout for them to introduce the Nazis in the first place. You want us to root for the protagonist so you introduce the one thing that no one can oppose him killing.
8/4/2015 1:07 PM
Posted by superrobb420 on 8/4/2015 1:07:00 PM (view original):
Posted by hardened on 8/4/2015 11:08:00 AM (view original):

I understand that they were laying groundwork. Doesn't make it any less boring. Lots of scenes sitting at that breakfast table watching people chew. Also, when I talk about the ending, I mean the final episode when Walt is suddenly MacGuyver and can kill a dozen Nazis with his car remote. Then again I thought it was a copout for them to introduce the Nazis in the first place. You want us to root for the protagonist so you introduce the one thing that no one can oppose him killing.
He was MacGuyver through the entire series.  Walt always was concocting something.  Whether he was making meth, explosives, thermite, flycatching equipment, and poison.
8/4/2015 1:45 PM
I guess I'm daft to think that an update to the forum meant someone actually drafted in this league? In the meantime, I guess i'll have to settle for tips on what Netflix shows to watch. thanks
8/4/2015 2:01 PM
By proxy cmcafeeky chooses Dirk Nowitzki.

rubnsly chooses Deron Williams.

8/4/2015 2:12 PM
Posted by jpeterso on 8/4/2015 2:01:00 PM (view original):
I guess I'm daft to think that an update to the forum meant someone actually drafted in this league? In the meantime, I guess i'll have to settle for tips on what Netflix shows to watch. thanks
Orange is the New Black
House of Cards
Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
Grace and Frankie
Daredevil (even if you are not a fan of the comic it is awesome)
8/4/2015 2:40 PM
15.  5:00  skypilot:  Elton Brand, F
16.  5:30  superrobb420:  James Harden, G
17.  6:00  roadhouse19:  Gary Payton, PG
18.  6:30  sionnach99:  Karl Malone, F
19.  7:00  robusk:  Alonzo Mourning, F/C
20.  7:30  jt7king (2):  Ben Wallace, F/C
21.  8:00  cmcafeeky:  Dirk Nowitzki, F
22.  8:30  rubnsly:  Deron Williams, PG
23.  9:00  smoke117:
24.  9:30  skypilot (2):

Round 2--Wednesday, August 5

25.  10 am skypilot *(2):
26.  10:30  smoke117:
27.  11:00  rubnsly:
28.  11:30  cmcafeeky:
29.  Noon  jt7king (2):
30.  12:30  robusk:
31.  1:00  sionnach99:
32.  1:30  roadhouse19:
33.  2:00  superrobb420:
34.  2:30  skypilot:
8/4/2015 4:40 PM
Posted by hardened on 8/4/2015 2:40:00 PM (view original):
Posted by jpeterso on 8/4/2015 2:01:00 PM (view original):
Orange is the New Black
House of Cards
Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt
Grace and Frankie
Daredevil (even if you are not a fan of the comic it is awesome)
Any discussion of best TV show of the 2000's has to include "House"!
8/4/2015 4:41 PM
I just SM'd smoke117 and skypilot and said that if their picks are not in today, they will be given the 9 and 9:30 time slot tomorrow and skipped if their picks are not in at that point.
8/4/2015 4:45 PM
◂ Prev 1...3|4|5|6|7...31 Next ▸
Decade Draft League 10--3rd Milleniun) Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.