Season 105 Write-Up

Here we go another season in, returning national champs SIU Edwardsville looks to defend their crown starting the season off as the preseason #16 team.  They will have depth in their 6 juniors and won both exhibition games handily.  Their elite guard play will be what gives them a solid chance at retaining their place up top.  However they’re many other great teams ready to get a chance to cut down the nets.
Here is the pre-season final four teams:

Cal Poly Pomona trentonjoe
23-8
13-2
7-4
3-2
13-3
A+
Conf Champion
NT At-large Bid
NT (2nd Round)

WIS #2 Tj’s team is full of great athletes and great defenders, what every team wants.  In their triangle offense they will be able to lean on a 99 PER guard, a 96 LP big man, and a 86 LP big man.  Perfect for a triangle.  TJ also boosts some tremendous rebounding in 2 high 80’s and 70+ ath guys and another 70 ath 98 rebounder.  In one of their exhibition games tj beat a D1 opponent in piman34 in his rebuild at St. Joseph’s still a well accomplished victory telling how talented this team is.  Can tj get over the post season hump Cal Poly Pomona seems to be in with multiple early round losses recently.  I think they do and make a huge run this season if not farther than the final four.  With winning his first NC recently, tj is looking to add to the trophy case.

Predicted record 23-3 (14-2) Solid non-conf schedule only loss I’m thinking is Nova Southeastern.  Conf play I think the Cali conf might be in a down year and really only bjb’s San Fran team looks capable of knocking Cal Poly into the conf L column without it being and upset, I say they split the series and tj loses one to either dabighonu or Grand Caynon.

New Mexico Highlands cem6889
29-4
11-1
12-2
6-1
14-2
A+
Conf Champion
CT Champion
NT (Elite 8)

WIS #5 This triangle offense will try to do something a bit different and spread the scoring around.  They also boast some great guard play with a bunch of high ath/spd guys(watch that high LP guard).  As well as having very capable reb/sb big men.  A super class in the press is deadly and returns from an Elite 8 a season ago.
Predicted Record 25-1 (16-0) A very winnable schedule I’ll say Nyack is the one hiccup for them.  Otherwise I could see a undefeated team, however it doesn’t look like the toughest schedule and non-conf is a bit disappointing.

Nova Southeastern bcnopolis
27-3
12-0
13-1
2-2
16-0
A+
Conf Champion
NT At-large Bid
NT (1st Round)

WIS #14, lets see how bc handles last seasons huge disappointment getting upset early when one of the clear favorites to win it all.  The squad may not be as talented as that one, however is full of elite ath/spd everywhere.  The 2 lights out scorers should be the SG and SF both with elite ath/spd/per/bh.  Troia is a D1 mid major talent.

Predicted record: 25-1 (16-0) A season opening loss against aejones and then smooth sailing the rest of the way.

West Alabama cjheinz
29-4
10-0
14-2
5-2
15-1
A-
Conf Champion
NT At-large Bid
NT (Elite 8)

WIS #13, the long lost brother of the SIU coach cjwolf( I don’t actually know if related or anything, just a joke), cjheinz has turned West Bama into a top shelf team and it took him only 3 seasons.  This one looks even better, and has some amazing offensive talent on the roster.  Not to mention rebounding will be nearly impossible against those 3 upperclassmen centers.

Predicted Record 24-2 (15-1) Offense is stalled against a defensive minded LIU CW Post, and splits the Incarnate World games in conference play, however I really think they have one of the better chances to go undefeated.

Personally I would really love to make a S16 with my Midwestern St team, I have a really nice group of 6 seniors I think have the talent, it depends on how my regular season goes and the development of my sophomores, hopefully I can grab a nice seed with my somewhat challenging schedule.  Will be interesting to follow.

Enjoy!
7/31/2015 1:52 AM
Any comments or suggestions are appreciated!
7/31/2015 1:52 AM
Love that you do this, always fun to read. However I didn't want to read anything about last season! Haha
8/1/2015 7:11 AM
These are fun......I hope my team lives up to expectations!
8/1/2015 10:06 AM
Here we go now that we have reached the end of non-conf.  Taggl's Tarleton St. team is undefeated and holds the WIS #1 ranking.

Update on my previous picks:

Cal Poly Pomona
9-1 RPI 31 SOS 101

Best win: RPI 10 (West Georgia)
Losses: RPI 9 (Nova Southeastern)

Prediction was on point with the only loss coming into OT against NovaSE.  Talent is amazing, keeping this team as a final four pick.

New Mexico Highlands
9-1 RPI 1 SOS 21

Best win: RPI 4 (Wilmington)
Losses: RPI 35 (Nyack)

Another predicted gone right with the predicted Nyack loss, Cem has another top shelf team this year, the win over Wilmington will probably be their best regular season win and it proves how talented they are.  Very good offensive team and getting a lot of FTA.  Sticking with this pick as well.

Nova Southeastern
7-3 RPI 9 SOS 20

Best win RPI 29 (Quincy)
Losses RPI 8 (SW Baptist), 44 (Angelo St.), 50 (Felician)

A bit of a surprise with so many losses weren't really expected for this team(I thought the jones loss would be the only one), the depth chart looks fine and no real experimental lineups are being run, the slowdown is the only thing that I can think of especially with the ath/spd dominance of this team, I'll defer to bc's judgement and keep this pick, he knows what he is doing, and the final four talent is there if not even better than a final four.

West Alabama
9-1 RPI 23 SOS 108

Best Win RPI 28 (Cal Davis)
Losses RPI 60 (LIU CW Post)

A disappointing non-conf not the best schedule and conf play looks down, meaning I assume it will be a tough road to the NC with their expected low seed.  However the talent is there clearly there, and I think he will still make the F4.

Other teams I'm watching and excited to see in conference play is Northern Kentucky, SIUE, Tarleton St, and SE Okie St. 3 of them havent been challenged much ad jtt has won some really good games.  I think they are showing elite talent and coaching

A little disappointed in myself at 8-2, more of the fact I scheduled poorly thinking I did okay.  The 2 overtime losses are freaking annoying...

8/4/2015 10:49 PM (edited)
Bracket posted.

Went with a "surprise" in U of the Sciences, mcott has built a super talented team in a bracket where I think he is helped by the upset of NKU by NMHU.

Turns out none of my final four picks made it in.

I'd say I was the closest in picking TJ's team to beat SE Okie St. to get to the final four

NMHU just has too hard a bracket with NKU and U of Sciences

Nova Southeastern I don't like their gp and I think it costs them.

West Alabama is hurt by seeding and faces Okie State.

8/17/2015 1:50 AM (edited)
Well I hope you are partially correct. I get the U of Sciences next, just hope you picked the wrong team in that game, but that everything else plays out according to your plan!
8/17/2015 2:42 AM
Up 3 with 5 seconds left, 78% free throw shooting point guard bricks 2, they bury a 3 at the buzzer. Lose in double OT, maybe it Is U of Sciences year.
8/17/2015 2:14 PM
A little late, but congrats to TJ for his 2nd NC and a great season at CPP.

cjwolf and SIUE came up just short on the repeat, but has really cemented himself as a top 3 coach if not better in the past few seasons here.

Florida Tech and gberry made a great run and looked primed to make a big run next season, however just not as an underdog.

Job apps are in progress and I will try to highlight any big names.
8/21/2015 3:53 PM

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.