pp videos Topic

For something as important as "human life", shouldn't we be able to qualify when it begins?  If if we can't pinpoint a specific event or magic moment, we should err on the side of caution?
8/26/2015 6:53 PM
How cautious do you think we need to be?
8/26/2015 7:03 PM

Yeah, you're right.  It's only human life, nothing important.  No need to get hung up on trivial details.

#NoLivesMatter

8/26/2015 8:36 PM
No, I'm asking you, at what point should we prohibit the termination of a pregnancy? 10 weeks? 12? 24?
8/26/2015 8:39 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
Posted by tecwrg on 8/26/2015 6:53:00 PM (view original):
For something as important as "human life", shouldn't we be able to qualify when it begins?  If if we can't pinpoint a specific event or magic moment, we should err on the side of caution?

I can qualify it.  Embryo to fetus.  I'm even willing to concede that maybe abortions should be outlawed a couple of weeks before that.  

That said, I don't think all lives are precious.   I don't really give a **** when cops gun down career criminals/street punks who decide resisting arrest and/or running is their best option.

So there's that.

8/26/2015 9:21 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 8/26/2015 8:39:00 PM (view original):
No, I'm asking you, at what point should we prohibit the termination of a pregnancy? 10 weeks? 12? 24?
How about conception?

It's incredibly stupid to make a random determination of 6 weeks or 10 weeks, or 12 weeks, or whatever.  Because when you do that, you're essentially saying that there's something materially different about the embryo or fetus or whatever you call it at that stage, between 11:59PM and 12:01AM on the day that you cross that date

Unless you can tell me what that material difference is, then it's just an arbitrary number.  I don't think that's a good way to determine life or death..   
8/26/2015 9:59 PM
Do you think an embryo and a fetus are the same thing?   I have a tough time figuring out the difference but people smarter than me seem to use one term to describe one thing and the other term to describe something else.
8/26/2015 10:11 PM
What magical thing happens where it's an embryo one minute, and then POW, it's now suddenly a fetus?  Just a mass of tissue one minute, and a human being the next?
8/26/2015 10:20 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 8/26/2015 9:59:00 PM (view original):
How about conception?

It's incredibly stupid to make a random determination of 6 weeks or 10 weeks, or 12 weeks, or whatever.  Because when you do that, you're essentially saying that there's something materially different about the embryo or fetus or whatever you call it at that stage, between 11:59PM and 12:01AM on the day that you cross that date

Unless you can tell me what that material difference is, then it's just an arbitrary number.  I don't think that's a good way to determine life or death..   
Incredibly stupid? There is a difference between an unimplanted egg and a person. A woman isn't even pregnant at conception.
8/26/2015 10:23 PM
Posted by tecwrg on 8/26/2015 10:21:00 PM (view original):
What magical thing happens where it's an embryo one minute, and then POW, it's now suddenly a fetus?  Just a mass of tissue one minute, and a human being the next?
You tell me.  I asked why do people smarter than us refer to something as an embryo one day and a fetus the next?   Something has to happen, right?
8/26/2015 10:44 PM
Posted by bad_luck on 8/26/2015 10:23:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 8/26/2015 9:59:00 PM (view original):
How about conception?

Incredibly stupid? There is a difference between an unimplanted egg and a person. A woman isn't even pregnant at conception.
An unimplanted fertilized egg that never implants still qualifies as a human life in the strictest sense.  If it never implants it suffers death by natural causes, not by choice (other than some of the "morning-after" pills and specific pills that work by preventing implantation if I understand them correctly). 

But your answer doesn't address tec's point regarding what the material difference is between the two.  Or where the arbitrary magic moment is.  My assertion is there is no such magic moment (or in my terms biological event) that changes it from one kind of living being to another.

8/27/2015 6:38 AM
You could field the question tec ignored.    Are embryo and fetus the same thing?   If so, why do people who have far more knowledge in this field use different terms to describe different stages of development?
8/27/2015 6:47 AM
YES
8/27/2015 6:55 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 8/27/2015 6:47:00 AM (view original):
You could field the question tec ignored.    Are embryo and fetus the same thing?   If so, why do people who have far more knowledge in this field use different terms to describe different stages of development?
Embryo and fetus are just terms describing stages of development.  it's no different than a sapling and a tree.  Is there a tangible, identifiable metamorphosis that occurs when a sapling suddenly becomes a tree?
8/27/2015 7:43 AM (edited)
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5...7 Next ▸
pp videos Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.