pp videos Topic

Posted by MikeT23 on 8/26/2015 10:44:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 8/26/2015 10:21:00 PM (view original):
What magical thing happens where it's an embryo one minute, and then POW, it's now suddenly a fetus?  Just a mass of tissue one minute, and a human being the next?
You tell me.  I asked why do people smarter than us refer to something as an embryo one day and a fetus the next?   Something has to happen, right?
The only thing that happens is a page turns on the calendar; week 8 ends and week 9 begins.  it's an artificial and arbitrary man-made designation that's not based on anything specific with respect to the embryo/fetus/person.
8/27/2015 7:41 AM
Well, since God isn't here to tell us that there is no difference between embryo/fetus/person, do you think you're qualified to determine that there is no difference?

I'm not.  I'll defer to those with more knowledge in that field.
8/27/2015 8:37 AM
Seriously, man decides a lot of things for other men.   Is there a tangible, identifiable metamorphosis that occurs when a girl suddenly becomes a woman?   Is it when she gets her period?   If that's the difference, go have sex with a 12 y/o who just had her period.    Let me know how that turns out.   If you get computer access from prison.
8/27/2015 8:40 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 8/27/2015 8:37:00 AM (view original):
Well, since God isn't here to tell us that there is no difference between embryo/fetus/person, do you think you're qualified to determine that there is no difference?

I'm not.  I'll defer to those with more knowledge in that field.
I think I'm intelligent enough to realize that if I can't determine the difference, that it's probably better to err on the side of caution and say that human life begins at conception.  Because human life is supposed to be kind of a big deal.

You can defer to whoever you want.

8/27/2015 8:49 AM

Yet, when a cop shoots a thug on the streets, human life isn't that big of a deal to you.

I expect BL-level outrage the next time that happens.

8/27/2015 9:05 AM
BL-LEVEL OUTRAGE, ************, WAR!!!!!!!
8/27/2015 9:05 AM

Be consistent, Rush Tecbaugh.

8/27/2015 9:07 AM

APPEAL TO AUTHORITY!!!!

Have you chosen the fertile 12 y/o yet?    Because I don't think you'll be able to run HBD teams from prison.

8/27/2015 9:13 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 8/27/2015 9:05:00 AM (view original):

Yet, when a cop shoots a thug on the streets, human life isn't that big of a deal to you.

As you've often pointed out, the thug usually had it coming to him.
8/27/2015 9:17 AM

After all, 17 to 18 is just a page turn on a calendar.    Man has no business throwing out arbitrary numbers on when a female should be able to have legal sex with 50 y/o men, right?   

Old enough to bleed, old enough to breed, right?!?!?!?!?

8/27/2015 9:18 AM
Posted by tecwrg on 8/27/2015 9:17:00 AM (view original):
Posted by MikeT23 on 8/27/2015 9:05:00 AM (view original):

As you've often pointed out, the thug usually had it coming to him.
That's just me making judgements based on any number of facts that come from people with more knowledge on the subject.   Sort of like trusting that there is a difference between an embryo/fetus/person because someone with more knowledge on the subject says there is.
8/27/2015 9:20 AM
Posted by silentpadna on 8/27/2015 6:38:00 AM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 8/26/2015 10:23:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 8/26/2015 9:59:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 8/26/2015 8:39:00 PM (view original):
No, I'm asking you, at what point should we prohibit the termination of a pregnancy? 10 weeks? 12? 24?
How about conception?

It's incredibly stupid to make a random determination of 6 weeks or 10 weeks, or 12 weeks, or whatever.  Because when you do that, you're essentially saying that there's something materially different about the embryo or fetus or whatever you call it at that stage, between 11:59PM and 12:01AM on the day that you cross that date

Unless you can tell me what that material difference is, then it's just an arbitrary number.  I don't think that's a good way to determine life or death..   
Incredibly stupid? There is a difference between an unimplanted egg and a person. A woman isn't even pregnant at conception.
An unimplanted fertilized egg that never implants still qualifies as a human life in the strictest sense.  If it never implants it suffers death by natural causes, not by choice (other than some of the "morning-after" pills and specific pills that work by preventing implantation if I understand them correctly). 

But your answer doesn't address tec's point regarding what the material difference is between the two.  Or where the arbitrary magic moment is.  My assertion is there is no such magic moment (or in my terms biological event) that changes it from one kind of living being to another.

If I have to pick, the fetus is a person when it can survive outside the mother. Until then, it's a part of her, not a separate person.
8/27/2015 9:21 AM

Abortion is a loser for "true" conservatives.    "Every life is precious" doesn't work when you believe in the death penalty.    Or, in tec's case, that some criminals get what they deserve on the street. 

And the "it's just a page turn on a calendar" is a horrible argument if you believe grown men shouldn't have sex with 17 y/o girls but 18 is legal in the eyes of the law.

8/27/2015 9:30 AM
Posted by bad_luck on 8/27/2015 9:21:00 AM (view original):
Posted by silentpadna on 8/27/2015 6:38:00 AM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 8/26/2015 10:23:00 PM (view original):
Posted by tecwrg on 8/26/2015 9:59:00 PM (view original):
Posted by bad_luck on 8/26/2015 8:39:00 PM (view original):
No, I'm asking you, at what point should we prohibit the termination of a pregnancy? 10 weeks? 12? 24?
How about conception?

It's incredibly stupid to make a random determination of 6 weeks or 10 weeks, or 12 weeks, or whatever.  Because when you do that, you're essentially saying that there's something materially different about the embryo or fetus or whatever you call it at that stage, between 11:59PM and 12:01AM on the day that you cross that date

Unless you can tell me what that material difference is, then it's just an arbitrary number.  I don't think that's a good way to determine life or death..   
Incredibly stupid? There is a difference between an unimplanted egg and a person. A woman isn't even pregnant at conception.
An unimplanted fertilized egg that never implants still qualifies as a human life in the strictest sense.  If it never implants it suffers death by natural causes, not by choice (other than some of the "morning-after" pills and specific pills that work by preventing implantation if I understand them correctly). 

But your answer doesn't address tec's point regarding what the material difference is between the two.  Or where the arbitrary magic moment is.  My assertion is there is no such magic moment (or in my terms biological event) that changes it from one kind of living being to another.

If I have to pick, the fetus is a person when it can survive outside the mother. Until then, it's a part of her, not a separate person.
Then you are not picking based on any fact, because clearly the fetus is not a part of another person; it is a living organism unto itself.  Its mother's womb is its location, i.e. where it lives.  A being that has human DNA, but with a different "fingerprint" is separate - not the same person at all.
8/27/2015 10:01 AM
Posted by MikeT23 on 8/27/2015 9:31:00 AM (view original):

Abortion is a loser for "true" conservatives.    "Every life is precious" doesn't work when you believe in the death penalty.    Or, in tec's case, that some criminals get what they deserve on the street. 

And the "it's just a page turn on a calendar" is a horrible argument if you believe grown men shouldn't have sex with 17 y/o girls but 18 is legal in the eyes of the law.

"Every life is precious" is not really the position.  The position is that human life has a natural right to life for one reason, and one reason only:  by virtue of its being human.  Not where it lives, not its degree of dependence on another person, not its stage of development, and not its own ability to take care of itself.  A human's right to life is one of the most basic foundations of natural law, and of our own nation. 

The death penalty is logically a different issue, but with some shared elements.  I'm not a big death penalty proponent, but when it's administered there is due process involved.  For the record, without eyewitness to corroborate even the most powerful of circumstantial evidence, I'm generally against it - even though it is a just punishment for murder.
8/27/2015 10:07 AM
◂ Prev 1|2|3|4|5|6|7 Next ▸
pp videos Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.