This one bothers me a little bit that they changed it. I feel like, with having $20 million in Medical, it opened up a whole new strategy. Guys with low health became more valuable and could be drafted and traded for. I remember a few seasons ago, I wasn't making the playoffs, so I traded for a decent bullpen guy with low health, made sure to break him, threw him on the 60 day and ended up with a competent bullpen player.

I feel like having $20 medical not gain bonuses and not having some guys heal all the way up kind of removes a dimension from the game.
8/24/2015 5:45 PM
It bothers me because I think it has the potential to turn medical into the new advanced scouting.   If 20m isn't going to, at the very least, get my guy back in the same range(play on words and I'll show why in a second), it becomes somewhat useless to budget that high. 

The example is this guy:  Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Destin Wall   While he really didn't have much of a BL future, he lost 13 points in range.   If that was his value, he will have none.    Put that on some speedy 28 y/o CF in the first year of a 5/38m deal and you've got the potential for someone to say "Yeah, screw this.   I'll just take another team."
8/24/2015 6:07 PM
Wow. With 1 point of recovery. And I've seen guys with 99 health take a hit like that too. Everything you said makes a ton of sense.

With fuzzy scouting, Advance scouting not being worth it and now this with medical, I can see a lot of managers treating BL players like a used car. Maximize payroll, drive the players until they break, then replace them with a newer one.
8/24/2015 6:17 PM

I've been budgeting max medical with the full expectation that, if a player has at least decent makeup, and I handle any injury appropriately - putting the player on the DL right away, etc. - most of the time my players will return to pre-injury levels, even in the case of season ending or major injury.

Why would I NOT expect that?

8/24/2015 7:31 PM
Well, my boy Benitez on the previous page got another recovery cycle.    So, 2 of 3 didn't and all were handled the same way.    Anyone see the difference?
8/25/2015 6:51 AM
Benitez is from Mexico. Game is racist.

Actually I don't see the difference. Benitez is older then Davis and has less makeup then MC. What do you think gave him the second recovery cycle?
8/25/2015 8:00 AM
I have no idea.    There is no pattern that I can see. 
8/25/2015 9:17 AM
https://www.whatifsports.com/HBD/Pages/Popups/PlayerProfile.aspx?pid=6680613

Just checked one of my guys that I put on the DL earlier in the season. Makeup of 78, medical of $20 million and put on the DL 30 real world days ago (90 sim days) and has still not gotten an injury recovery cycle......... This is bad.
8/27/2015 2:37 PM
Some of mine are getting two recovery cycles, some aren't.   No idea why.
8/27/2015 3:01 PM
That doesn't seem different to me.  Haven't been at it as long with 20 med, but I had some guys get 1 and some guys 2 even prior to the update.  Not sure anything has changed with regards to recovery.  Did I miss them saying it did?
8/27/2015 3:04 PM
www.whatifsports.com/HBD/Pages/Popups/PlayerProfile.aspx

I put him on the 60 Day DL and he received 2 Recovery bumps, then it had a Regular Season bump while still on the DL. The regular season bump wasnt anything but the two recovery bumps brought him back up to speed, actually improving him on the second one. I took him off the DL after seeing the regular season bump as I figured that was all I would get out of him

8/30/2015 12:48 PM
Posted by gdmetz on 8/27/2015 3:04:00 PM (view original):
That doesn't seem different to me.  Haven't been at it as long with 20 med, but I had some guys get 1 and some guys 2 even prior to the update.  Not sure anything has changed with regards to recovery.  Did I miss them saying it did?
They said there were changes to development that they would not disclose, which obviously could include development while on the DL.
8/30/2015 1:31 PM
Maybe it's just me, but anyone notice how a pitcher seems to have bad outings before going down with a serious injury? My stud who was 12-4 with an ERA under 3 threw 2 games, 11 innings, 15 earned runs with 7 home runs, then goes down for a month with shoulder impingement.
9/1/2015 11:53 AM
"They said there were changes to development that they would not disclose, which obviously could include development while on the DL."

Possible, but AFTER that they said there was going to be an update to injury recovery and that never materialized.  At any rate, I haven't seen a difference.
9/1/2015 12:30 PM
Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Luis Vega

Signed him as a FA in the offseason.  He was already hurt, so I threw him on the 60 day DL just to see what would happen.  He was a type b - unless he has a really bad offseason, he'll be a type a this coming season.

I have never seen a player get that kind of recovery pattern.
9/1/2015 12:52 PM
◂ Prev 1234 Next ▸

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.