Tanking - What is it really? Topic

FWIW, if everyone is afraid to say "You're tanking.  Quit it", there's no reason for Obermueller not to start every time he reaches 100%.
9/2/2015 1:38 PM
LOL at all the owners going with the "what rule is he breaking" argument. Jesus guys, he's tanking...and it's not good for the world. You should not want that ****. 
9/2/2015 1:42 PM
Hardball Dynasty – Fantasy Baseball Sim Games - Player Profile: Jon Stone is LRBBBBBBBBBBBBBBBB.   Don't want him coming in when it matters. 
9/2/2015 1:44 PM
that chat was very entertaining to read. to spudpicker and tufft....good job, good effort. 
9/2/2015 1:49 PM
Fighting a losing battle.   The dissenters are right, he's not breaking any rules.   But he's tanking and, if you're going to defend his right to tank, there's no incentive to stop. 
9/2/2015 1:51 PM
Do I think he's tanking? I'd say yeah. Do I think someone should force him to change something THIS season? No. He's doing everything within the rules that are posted. I think that the rules should be tightened for next year and enforced. But then of course lies the question of how you change them. And as Mike said, not sure that can be done. And since I haven't seen him post anything, ballbusting must be pretty useless.
9/2/2015 2:22 PM
I change rules when necessary.   You say "These are the rules.  Abide by them."     But the rules have to be something that can be enforced.   "BL quality" isn't.   I use C in RF when the failed C is good enough offensively to make up for his ineptitude in the field.   I'll play a below rec SS is he's going to OPS .900+.  I've use a 38 control pitcher because the rest of his ratings were good enough to overcome it.

As for your specific problem, there are only two owners bothering to point out that he's tanking.   The rest are defending his right to do so.   Why would he stop?
9/2/2015 2:29 PM
Well thats the thing. If there's a standard everyone needs to follow, it needs to be defined, posted, and have a start time in the future. Not something that is defined as 'yesterday'.
9/2/2015 5:29 PM
In spud's defense, there is NOTHING he can do 40 games into the season BUT shout at the moon.   He's attempting to get others to join him in hopes of shaming the owner into fair play.   No one is doing that.   Fair enough.   But he's doing all he can do for now.  If he makes no attempt to tidy up the rules as the season progresses, then you can bust his balls.    But, right now, you should be busting the tanker's balls.   Unless, of course, you're OK with someone getting a win every 5 games because he's throwing some **** pitcher out there.   That won't affect the playoff race, right?
9/2/2015 6:19 PM
I started to read the WC, but when I got to the part that because there is no rule against tanking, tanking is fine, I stopped. Defending tanking as legitimate because there is no enforceable, ironclad anti-tanking rule is almost as silly as criticizing the commissioner for calling out said tanker. Agree that there's nothing else the commish can do, and calling it out is not only OK but necessary if the world's going to have a future. In the world I commish we have a blatant tanker who makes the bare minimum wins floor every season. When he posted that he was looking to move veterans for prospects I called him on it in WC, and no trades were made. I would not have taken kindly to someone telling me I have no business interfering with his inalienable right to tank any harder than he already does.

You can't eliminate tanking, but you sure as hell can protest it.
9/2/2015 8:46 PM
Saying no one has the right to tell another owner how to run his team — regardless of how extreme the example — actually is an endorsement of tanking. Saying you shouldn't be running a mopup out as a #5 SP is not the same as saying your 3B isn't quite as good as he should be and maybe the guy you have in AAA would be better. "I know tanking when I see it" doesn't translate into a concrete rule but it is a valid reason to call it out. Claiming that the commish stating the P should only be mopup means the commish is admitting that he's an ML quality player is absurd. Claiming that a tanker should be left alone becaue he is not violating a specific rule is absurd. Saying the commish should not waste valuable WC space (hint: sarcasm) and then making pages of posts wasting valuable WC space saying the tanking should not be called out is absurd.

I don't need to read more of the world history to know this.
9/2/2015 9:43 PM
I never said you shouldn't push for stronger rules; obviously you should. Doing that and criticizing tankers are not mutually exclusive. I'm not sure why being in favor of calling out tanking would imply that I don't want strong rules. The opposite is true.

There are many of us who would love to hear what rules you have in mind that would eliminate it. Please share.
9/2/2015 10:38 PM
It's not a false assumption to note that there are people on the WC defending a tanker's right to tank. For anyone to say it's OK as long as there are no specific rules that prohibit it implies that it's possible to enact such rules or that it is thus always OK to tank.
9/2/2015 11:37 PM
Once upon a time I was against the MWR but I learned its a necessary evil. The MWR cuts out the blatant tankers, you still get owners who will basically game the system, but sometimes those owners cut it close and miss the MWR and get booted from the world.
9/3/2015 12:34 AM
From my point of view beating up a guy on WC who isn't paying attention to WC in the first place is ridiculous. I also think talking about changes in rules in the middle of the season is ridiculous. I think if there are effective and enforcable and CLEAR rules that can be added to a private world's rules are the best and most effective way to curb it.

Again, its defining those rules that is the challenge - and why I started this discussion. I think that is what bripat42 is looking to do as well. cricket13 as well.

It looks like tightening up MWR seems to be just about it.

9/3/2015 7:05 AM
◂ Prev 12345 Next ▸
Tanking - What is it really? Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.