New, more clear poll re: update Topic

I mean, out of all the statements and remarks that I've read concerning this new update, that particular one has GOT to be the one that is the LEAST grounded in reality.
9/19/2015 2:00 PM
Posted by MyGeneration on 9/18/2015 10:00:00 PM (view original):
I'm going to wait to see the changes rather than speculating about how they will impact the experience. But they are well thought out and are likely to add nuance and texture, which I am for. Plus, we've all been playing this same game a long time, why not see what Seble comes up with and give it a whirl?
I totally agree. I am super excited about the changes. It sounds like a new challenge to me, and I like that. And many of the features add to the realism, which I am also in favor of.
9/19/2015 2:53 PM
Played a few seasons here ... previously an addict of WIS baseball.

Assuming my opinion isn't unique (maybe it is) ...

I love the game the way it is (gave up baseball completely).

There is no excitement about or for major changes.

I am not inclined to continue to pay to play while the bugs of a major overhaul are worked out.

As soon as the update is imminent, I will quit playing. So much of this game is planning for the future and learning from past experience. All that will be out the window once the update timetable is announced.

Perhaps I will revisit a couple of years after the update when it is understood and stabilized.

Or perhaps I will not.

To repeat. I am pleased with the game as is and would only be open to minor tweaks.

Been thinking about trying dynasty baseball anyway ...
9/20/2015 7:16 PM
Posted by jetwildcat on 9/19/2015 11:34:00 AM (view original):
Posted by gillispie1 on 9/18/2015 11:40:00 AM (view original):
There are problems with the existing poll to me... specifically, that it was taken before we had the info we have now, and second, that it has three answers and its not exactly clear how to read the third. I am going to take some liberty here and try to capture the essence of the debate in a couple quick polls. I'm honestly not sure how the community is split, the posts are more negative but that is always going to skew that way, I'd like a real read on the general support level and how people feel about the magnitude of change.
While this poll is a decent idea, if I were seble, I would be just as concerned with potential players as current players.

A lot of this community benefits from the Founder's Effect in a way, and the recruiting system has no doubt discouraged new players from sticking to the game (either from competitive disadvantages or from general lack of fun).
i see what you mean, but d2/d3 are pretty much flat in structure. i feel like anyone can walk into d3 and as soon as they have a clue, they can compete. the hierarchy is really d1 and you aren't a new coach by the time you get there... although i do think it turns people off. 
9/21/2015 10:34 AM

previous changes have been fun and frustrating at the same time. trying to learn the new paradigm... its the closest thing to that new coach experience you can get - which is pretty substantial on the upside part of things. dealing with all the balance issues is the frustrating part. i guess i think it is too pessimistic to write this off without trying it. of course it will screw up your planning - but it screws up everyone's planning - and it really can shake up the coaching pool, guys who had it down pat, might find themselves behind, and visa versa. i think that is all fine. the problem is when the balance issues strike at the enjoyment of the game, and when the continual rebalancing lays all your best plans to waste. last time was seble's first HD beta test. maybe he has more experience now. we should at least give it a chance - play a couple seasons - before we decide to hate it and quit. 

i think most vets would agree that the game today is better than it was a long time ago, before potential, and that most of us thought that was a bad idea, too. i think that is an important historical perspective... previous releases have been bungled horribly... and still, the game is better today. i do suffer from some "bungled release fatigue", that makes me not really feeling up to the challenge this time, i don't know if i still have the fight left, but its probably 6 months until release, so i will just see how i feel about it once i try it and go from there.

9/21/2015 10:41 AM
not surprisingly - as less-active forum goers weigh in, things have moved back towards support. support is now ahead, 46% to 39%, noting that the people voting against skew towards moderately against, not extremely against, while those in support are split (so support, weighted wise, is really ahead more than 46% to 39%, so to speak). i think that was obviously going to trend that way, and i know you guys can't see the list who voted, but unsurprisingly, the names of folks voting against are much more heavily the highly active forum crowd. although, a good # of people who are active, successful vets, are in support. 

the magnitude of change remains a landslide, although less insanely severe of one than initially. 6% say not enough change, 70% say too much. ok, thats still severe ;) the 3rd question which i view as the most important is less sever though. 12% say less change would reduce their support, while 67% say it would increase their support. 

this is pretty much exactly what i expected, although i think based on the trend, its probable support continues to break away from detractors on that first question. i thought initially up to a 60/40 split each way was possible, depending on who answered. with 15% neutral, that is equivalent to a 51-34 split. we aren't there, but we need to move only 5% up on support and 5% down on detraction, and its highly possible we will get there as votes come in. arguments could be made that the most active have a better ability to visualize the consequences of these changes and all, but more (or at least, as) importantly, i think the argument could (and should) be made that the less forum-active folks considerably favor change - and that the % of forum-active folks who are going to respond here, is WAY higher than the general populous. meaning, of the general forum population, the general forum population is going to have more of the active, detractor type folks, as a %, than the non-forum population would. meaning, if seble polled every HD user, and every HD user responded, the support side would have a much better showing than it does in this vote. maybe us old timers need to realize that change is just way more popular than we thought. although again, i do think the folks who have lived through it, who are generally more experienced and successful as a population, do have a better ability to understand the ramifications of the proposal... and are also more engaged in these threads with seble, probably having more understanding of what is actually being proposed. anyway, i think its appropriate to consider both of those effects, when viewing the results of that first question here. i suppose the "conclusion" is unclear, with respect to support, the only thing that is clear is that this change is rather on the large side, and the large majority of folks feel that way. 
9/21/2015 12:52 PM
◂ Prev 12345
New, more clear poll re: update Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.