Dynamic Pricing Feedback Topic

This shall serve as the official thread to discuss the upcoming dynamic salary update.

The details of the update can be found here.
11/17/2015 10:00 AM
Hello!
11/17/2015 10:10 AM
For open leagues, what is the reasoning behind favoring NOT sending teams back to the Draft Center if the league is not full when the price update happens?

Also, is there a timetable in place for pushing this update live?
11/17/2015 10:14 AM
There are theme leagues that can take weeks, even months to fill.  Having owners draft with different player salaries than teams that are already entered into the league does not seem to create a very level playing field.  Maybe there could be a way to "lock" player salaries for theme leagues at the time the league is created, so the draft center shows the same salaries for all owners, regardless of when they enter the league.

I'm sure the counter-argument is well, those owners already entered can just pull their teams out and redraft, but that could require doing so several times if it takes a league a long time to fill, and many owners out there like to forget about a team once it's entered into a league and just waiting to fill, myself included.
11/17/2015 10:15 AM
Is there a plan in place for notifying owners before each salary adjustment takes place? Will there be a link or information available to track the changes in each player's salary?

When are you planning to put this into motion?

11/17/2015 10:43 AM
Very glad to see this. I think it will make open leagues, especially, more exciting.

My vote would be to lock in salaries once a team is entered into a league, but to allow rosters in the draft center to change with each update. As previously stated, some themes take a long time to fill and could go through multiple price updates before all is said and done. It would be quite frustrating to painstakingly craft a team only to have to redo it multiple times before the league starts.
11/17/2015 10:49 AM
I would suggest putting a dollar value cap in addition to the 10% limit (maybe like 500K?) such that the salaries won't vary so widely due to the teams being entered at different times.  Can you imagine nobody drafting 1888 Silver King during a 2 week period and his salary drops by almost 3 million...
11/17/2015 10:49 AM
Addie Joss 10% up for sure...I am in favor of communicating a date it goes live, then any leagues formed after that begin with the new "dynamic" salaries, themes or leagues still in sign up phase can choose through commish but are locked to the old salary system until decided. Custom leagues have choice of old and new...

No leagues with mixed salaries...
11/17/2015 11:14 AM
Posted by skunk206 on 11/17/2015 10:17:00 AM (view original):
There are theme leagues that can take weeks, even months to fill.  Having owners draft with different player salaries than teams that are already entered into the league does not seem to create a very level playing field.  Maybe there could be a way to "lock" player salaries for theme leagues at the time the league is created, so the draft center shows the same salaries for all owners, regardless of when they enter the league.

I'm sure the counter-argument is well, those owners already entered can just pull their teams out and redraft, but that could require doing so several times if it takes a league a long time to fill, and many owners out there like to forget about a team once it's entered into a league and just waiting to fill, myself included.
The "lock" mechanism at creation seems to make the most sense, but perhaps a challenge to implement since you'd need a league number up front, right? But, everyone would be on the same playing field if it works to lock at league inception.
11/17/2015 11:19 AM (edited)
I absolutely love this concept.  This is essentially introducing a market-based factor.  As robust as your statistical methods are for arriving at a $ value, there's still some reason why 1980 Miguel Dilone is so successful in Open Leagues.  This relieves you from having to find that reason in the statistical nuances and correct for it, and instead allows the market to adjust his price appropriately.

Regarding the feedback you're looking for:
  • I would use both Open and Theme leagues as the basis for market-adjusting the $ values.  Salary Cap of various leagues is what governs the frequency of players chosen more than anything else.  If you just use open leagues you'll never see an adjustment made to 2004 Barry Bonds.  Nobody ever selects him with an $80M cap.  But market forces should be at play on the top players, too.
  • I don't think you need to break players up by position to make adjustments.  Your statistical models for normalizing hitting place all hitters on a bell curve, you're not doing that at the position level.  So I think it would be incongruous to market adjust at the position level.  Plus I just don't see the added benefit, your Bill James fielding spectrum adjustments take care of the defensive component just fine.
  • Teams in the draft center definitely have to deal with $ adjustments, it's the only way to ensure competitive balance once the team gets placed into a league.  All teams in the league need to play on the same level playing field.  You might have some customer satisfaction issues with this, people might get frustrated that their draft center teams get blown up by adjustments.  But I think personally I'd be way more frustrated by a league without a level playing field.
  • But at the same time, sending teams back to the draft center once placed into the league would probably create so much customer dissatisfaction that it would hurt your business too much.  I wouldn't do this.
  • Theme leagues, I'm not the guy to give feedback here, I don't play them.
Love this site, you guys are great.

11/17/2015 11:27 AM
It's a long overdue update...

However, as always there will be 'issues';

Currently there is a theme league forming using the 'Big Three' pitchers...Once that league fills/starts, there will be 24 instances of them being drafted w/i whichever two week period it falls in...Pretty sure that 24 instances (plus 'normal' drafting) will trigger an unwarranted price increase...

I'm not a programmer, but I'm thinking there should be some sort of trailing average in re usage...

DBP
11/17/2015 11:31 AM
Posted by hersheybear on 11/17/2015 11:19:00 AM (view original):
Posted by skunk206 on 11/17/2015 10:17:00 AM (view original):

The "lock" mechanism at creation seems to make the most sense, but perhaps a challenge to implement since you'd need a league number up front, right? But, everyone would be on the same playing field if it works to lock at league inception.
Locking at league creation makes the most sense logically but would require some DB overhead and potentially restructuring.
11/17/2015 11:34 AM
If it's possible to have multiple "salary universes" active simultaneously, where each salary universe represents the locked in salaries at a certain date, that would be the best solution.  But you'd need to incorporate the "universe" option into the salary search engine.  Setting up a theme league, you'd now have the following options:

Salary Cap:  80, 100, 120, etc, custom
Salary Universe:  As of 11/01, As of 11/15, As of 11/29, etc.

If this is not feasible, I like the idea of LOCKING in salaries once a team is entered into the league (open or theme league).  This has the added bonus of incentivizing owners to get their teams entered quickly, before their favorite cookie goes up in price.  If you are entered into a league and you notice that one or more of your players has gotten cheaper while you are waiting the league to fill, then yes, you could remove your team and re-enter using the lower salaries, but the odds are that other players' salaries went up.  

I LOVE THAT YOU'RE FINALLY USING A DYNAMIC SALARY SCALE (which I proposed many years ago). 
11/17/2015 11:38 AM
THIS DECISION WILL ADD A MUCH NEEDED BREATH OF FRESH AIR TO THE BASEBALL SIM LEAGUES!
11/17/2015 11:40 AM
I like schwarze's idea of having separate databases for pricing (maybe scale back updates to every 2 months instead of every 2 weeks).  Let commissioners lock in for a particular update and allow the themes a maximum amount of time to fill (maybe 2 updates or 4 months) such that a maximum of 3 difference salaries would need to be kept at any given time.
11/17/2015 12:00 PM
1|2|3...17 Next ▸
Dynamic Pricing Feedback Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.