Dynamic Pricing Feedback Topic

Posted by milest on 1/4/2021 10:59:00 AM (view original):
Posted by PennQuaker on 1/2/2021 1:57:00 PM (view original):
Does fixing the problem with dead ball pitchers shutting off power help with this issue somewhat? 1902 Bill Bernhard is one of the most popular cookies in the sim. He gave up 0.16 HR/9 IRL with 122 OAV+, 166 ERA+, and 150 HR/9+ and costs $35,456 per IP. 2018 Aaron Nola has been used 61 times in the sim. He gave up 0.72 HR/9 IRL and has 125 OAV+, 170 ERA+, and 152 HR/9+ and costs $34,825 per IP. He's the closest comparable to Bernhard in each of these three + categories with at least 200 IP/162.

Bernhard's average performance in the sim is .roughly 254 OAVG, 3.20 ERA, 1.23 WHIP and 0.28 HR/9 in around 1,100 seasons. Nola's average performance is .236 OAVG, 3.44 ERA, 1.24 WHIP, and 0.72 HR/9.

The HR/9 for these two pitchers should be far closer. Nola isn't used more because of the far higher HR/9 figure. If Bernhard and Nola's sim HR/9 were more equalized, which is appropriate given their comparable HR/9+ and similar cost per IP (Bernhard about 2% higher), wouldn't that help with the cookie issue and spread price changes over a larger pool of players because more players would be used?

Warren Spahn, Lefty Grove, Jim Palmer, and Tom Seaver are four all-time great pitchers who are seldom used in competitive theme leagues because their nominal HR/9 and OAVG are too high. These and other great modern pitchers are outperformed by mediocre dead ball pitchers. I have to believe that having more options to build a successful team would not only make the sim more interesting but would reduce cookies as well because more players would be used.
Personally, I think using deadball pitchers isnt as great of a strategy as the majority on WIS seem to believe.
First of all, the optimal offenses do not use HR hitters... If the best offenses don't hit very many HRs, then why should you pay to prevent HRs?

Those HR suppressing deadballers also allow more errors (which is another element that needs fixing- literally makes no sense to link fielding to the pitcher on the mound) and ppl tend to dismiss that fact when looking at the numbers.

I don't really care what era the player comes from, just the stats... and I'd rather have a pitcher with a low OAV & low WHIP that gives up a few solo shots than a pitcher that sacrifices WHIP for suppressing HRs.

Prioritizing deadball pitchers and/or suppressing HRs is a mistake that I'm glad many of you continue to make.
In general, I agree as I tend to draft teams with at least some HR power as well as a mix of dead ball and modern pitchers. But, the sim decision-making hierarchy for an at bat determines whether a play is an out and then determines whether it's a strikeout. Consequently, high K pitchers don't have the advantage in the sim that would be expected compared to low K pitchers. This is what allows the A+++ defensive strategy with great team speed and some dead ball pitchers to work because more balls are put in play. IMHO, those teams are not at all reflective of the types of teams that would do well in real life. I know that this is a simulation and I don't expect stats to match real life for a variety of reasons. But, it can be very difficult to win in caps below $200M with a high-power, high-OBP offense and modern pitchers who give up HR even with strong HR+ levels.

I've had success building teams in parks such as Sicks and Riverfront that reward power but not singles. The high-average cookies tend not to do well in those parks and my teams in those parks can usually generate power.
1/4/2021 2:17 PM
Posted by milest on 1/4/2021 10:59:00 AM (view original):
Posted by PennQuaker on 1/2/2021 1:57:00 PM (view original):
Does fixing the problem with dead ball pitchers shutting off power help with this issue somewhat? 1902 Bill Bernhard is one of the most popular cookies in the sim. He gave up 0.16 HR/9 IRL with 122 OAV+, 166 ERA+, and 150 HR/9+ and costs $35,456 per IP. 2018 Aaron Nola has been used 61 times in the sim. He gave up 0.72 HR/9 IRL and has 125 OAV+, 170 ERA+, and 152 HR/9+ and costs $34,825 per IP. He's the closest comparable to Bernhard in each of these three + categories with at least 200 IP/162.

Bernhard's average performance in the sim is .roughly 254 OAVG, 3.20 ERA, 1.23 WHIP and 0.28 HR/9 in around 1,100 seasons. Nola's average performance is .236 OAVG, 3.44 ERA, 1.24 WHIP, and 0.72 HR/9.

The HR/9 for these two pitchers should be far closer. Nola isn't used more because of the far higher HR/9 figure. If Bernhard and Nola's sim HR/9 were more equalized, which is appropriate given their comparable HR/9+ and similar cost per IP (Bernhard about 2% higher), wouldn't that help with the cookie issue and spread price changes over a larger pool of players because more players would be used?

Warren Spahn, Lefty Grove, Jim Palmer, and Tom Seaver are four all-time great pitchers who are seldom used in competitive theme leagues because their nominal HR/9 and OAVG are too high. These and other great modern pitchers are outperformed by mediocre dead ball pitchers. I have to believe that having more options to build a successful team would not only make the sim more interesting but would reduce cookies as well because more players would be used.
Personally, I think using deadball pitchers isnt as great of a strategy as the majority on WIS seem to believe.
First of all, the optimal offenses do not use HR hitters... If the best offenses don't hit very many HRs, then why should you pay to prevent HRs?

Those HR suppressing deadballers also allow more errors (which is another element that needs fixing- literally makes no sense to link fielding to the pitcher on the mound) and ppl tend to dismiss that fact when looking at the numbers.

I don't really care what era the player comes from, just the stats... and I'd rather have a pitcher with a low OAV & low WHIP that gives up a few solo shots than a pitcher that sacrifices WHIP for suppressing HRs.

Prioritizing deadball pitchers and/or suppressing HRs is a mistake that I'm glad many of you continue to make.
As we see now with the current state of baseball, the guaranteed run that comes from the homerun is the best way to score. I like using deadballers as I would rather someone have to beat me off 3 basehits than 1 homerun.

And even though modern high K pitchers are allotted more pitches, I’d rather have the deadballer who goes deeper into games and prevents appearance fatigue from my bullpen. So that combined with them preventing guaranteed runs from homeruns is why I use them until we finally see a change when it comes to their HR/9 and K/9 numbers in the coding.

The errors don’t bother me too much, I won a $110 mil championship with deadball D fielders at every position combined with deadball pitching.
1/4/2021 2:54 PM
This post has a rating of , which is below the default threshold.
This post is copied from another thread where someone was offering constructive critique, a lot of which I piece-mealed his thoughts relevant to dynamic pricing, his words in "quotes", followed by my summary. At least 1 other writer +1'd the earlier author's offering.

Posted by Rock_Harders on 1/13/2021 10:36:00 AM :

. . . "e)*** the most important***; as a new player it has to be so frustrating to get demolished by guys in open leagues with 10/20/30+ league championships. i'm not saying people should get 100+ wins their first go around, but imaging dropping a few bucks on a new game only to not really understand how WIS works (did you read the forums in your first seasons?) and finish 42-120? . " . .

. . . "this does not create a player who will want to come back and play again, and creates players that abandon their team part way through the year and then the competitive balance is skewed for all." . .

. . . "a place to be challenged, and not frustrated, by expert clone teams" . .

. . . "for the experts, i'm sure its fun beating up on newbies, and using the same players time in and time out to buffer your credits, but for the overall health of the platform, WIS needs new players, and to keep them encouraged and engaged" . .

ME(Mwett) : How many 'likes' are allowed by a single paying member for a single post ? Dang shame if it's only 1. Oh, wait; need to save a future thumbs down for the inevitable "hey loser(s)/whiner(s); if you don't like it and can't/don't want to join them, then build a better mousetrap".

Well, we're trying. It might not be your version, but we're trying. Thank goodness for new leads in place who at least for now claim to want to hear about such things to possibly affect future necessary needed change.

I found WIS SLB, much like a simultaneous infusion of newbs at the same time, around the beginning of and unfortunately still ongoing global slowdown/shutdown. Intrigued by something new and a different kind of challenge, although far from real-life realistic or accurate but even that was semi-ok once I viewed it more as a math problem to solve with the bonus of MLB player names attached, I persevered after taking some early lumps. I'm sure this isn't an original scenario. But probly neither so is that in my initial honeymoon period I invited 4 very highly successful competitive acquaintances from another old-timer SIM, all without asking for referral credits. 3 quickly fell off, and the 4th has cutback on number of simultaneous teams, currently 1 and possibly done thereafter as well. Is this the price WIS is willing to pay to appease their probly more bottom line profitable 1-trick pony copycat cookie-cutter owners ?

Answer ? Bringing back and maintaining a better version of dynamic pricing will make this a more healthy and better experience for many. That thread, initiated by admin, is recent enough that this reply and Rock_Harders relevant offering should be retweeted there.
1/13/2021 11:41 AM
1/18/2021 7:51 PM
This may sound like a crazy idea, but if it's doable, it could be really awesome.

What if there was an option for Theme Leagues to use default prices vs dynamic prices? Is this something that could be easily implemented?

This would cater to everyone both short and long term. Those who think the current prices are stupid can play with the old ones, while those that like them can use them. Going forward this would hold true, those that like Dynamic pricing can play in leagues that use it, and those that don't can make leagues which don't use it.
1/20/2021 8:32 PM
Posted by ncmusician_7 on 11/17/2015 10:33:00 PM (view original):
I don't think dynamic pricing is a good idea.  I think updating the player salaries about once a year would be better.
I still think this.
6/28/2021 2:41 PM
◂ Prev 1...15|16|17
Dynamic Pricing Feedback Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.