Dynamic Pricing Feedback Topic

if you look at which players win championships for high-user-rating owners, and price those guys 10% higher and everyone else down a smidge, you will eventually get to a pricing structure where every player goes for what he's worth in the sim

if i ran the site, that's what i would want, perfect pricing, so that every $80M team had equal odds of winning on paper

then it would be up to god, monte carlo, and the manager to decide the outcome of games

obviously that's not what's wanted here

11/20/2015 10:59 AM (edited)
Posted by bagchucker on 11/18/2015 5:26:00 PM (view original):
if you look at what players win championships for high-user-rating owners, and price those guys 10% higher and everyone else down a smidge, you will eventually get to a pricing structure where every player goes for what he's worth in the sim

if i ran the site, that's what i would want, perfect pricing, so that every $80M team had equal odds of winning on paper

then it would be up to god, monte carlo, and the manager to decide the outcome of games

obviously that's not what's wanted here

you are very right
11/18/2015 7:19 PM
Posted by firesalt on 11/18/2015 3:37:00 PM (view original):
Most of the perceived problems with dynamic pricing are based on, or increased by, price changes occurring every two weeks. If a league takes two months to fill and there are eight price changes during that time, there will be issues. But if there is only one, it is not an issue. Everyone in the league will have time to make changes o their roster after the price change and all will be on the same playing field. It will not be too complex for beginners and the cookie problem will go away. I think the first decision that should be made is to change the pricing changes from every two weeks to once a month or once every two months. Then let's relook at the perceived problems that will remain. The smartest way to do this is to fix one problem at a time and assess after each one.
very good point
11/18/2015 7:20 PM
I just might start playing open leagues again... 
11/18/2015 7:47 PM

How long does it generally take the better SIM owners to figure out who the "new" cookies will be?  Two months?  Three months?  Six months?  If you're going with the dynamic pricing, I would go for every six months - and publish the dates for when it will happen.  Therefore, commissioners of leagues can plan accordingly when they want to begin advertising a particular theme.  If you think a theme may take over 30 days to fill, and it's less than 30 days before the next pricing update, the commish may want to wait until after the update to post his theme in the classifieds.

11/18/2015 8:38 PM
A lot of really smart players in this game have made some great points against this dynamic salary change. I have to agree. I think this has the potential to cause some major issues. Themes take a little time to fill sometimes and now you add a component of guys pulling and re entering teams all the time based on fluctuating salaries. Themes have the potential to now take forever to get going. Why not just do a one time readjustment of all the player salaries? This would be easier and make more sense. I don't think too many people would complain if 1908 Joss' or 1999 Vizquel's salary was increased by $1 million for instance and some .250 hitter with 700 PAs who currently costs $7 mil has a $2 million price reduction. You could stay on top of this and make such an adjustment once per year when the latest season of players is introduced. Good timing too since it marks the end of the actual baseball season when I expect the game may experience a slight decline in players.

I don't play progressives, but I think it would wreak havoc on those leagues as well.

I think there are more pertinent changes that could have been made. More variations of the OL for instance introduced by WIS. OLs fill quick. You would think WIS would want to create more such leagues that would fill quick and generate profits...in doing so you would also be creating leagues players like. The Diamond League OL and the Superstar OL or whatever the hell it's called don't fill all that quickly. Perhaps try something else. Offer up a new "theme" league each month run by WIS.

The OL itself could be changed. Never understood why all the fake names for the AAA players. Let the AAA players keep their real names. Perhaps allow teams to drop their AAA to the WW and also introduce a $1 million cash influx after 25 games. This would allow the WW to come into play more and give owners a chance to fix their teams if they are not as competitive as they expected them to be. A lot of newer players in the OLs. Let's try to give these new owners a fighting chance to compete and to learn the game by giving them a margin of error and to not trick them with weird fake AAA names.
11/18/2015 8:44 PM
I like the dynamic pricing idea.  Let's try it.  If it's a disaster, it can always be repealed or refined.  We won't know unless we try.
11/18/2015 10:12 PM
Wow. I totally don't get all the people thinking this is a disaster. I think the problems it reduces are 10x the few it might cause. It introduces variance into what has become a stale game. It's like unlocking and figuring out how to beat a new level. Sure, it's harder, but isn't challenge the fun of a game? It improves the chances of new owners having a fighting chance, making it more likely they will stick around and join our currently shrinking community. Nothing is going to be perfect or please everyone, but this sounds like clear progress to me.
11/18/2015 11:42 PM
All,

Thank you for all the great discussion points.

We'll be taking it all in and evaluating tomorrow.  Expect an updated response next week. 
11/19/2015 9:19 AM
I agree with everything that cwillis802 said.
11/19/2015 9:52 AM
I'm not so hot on cwillis802's suggestions. Perhaps WIS staff can just find a way to lock in theme league salaries at the time the commish enters his team.

(As for AAA prospects, I'd prefer they did more tweaking of the player stats from the players they pick up, so they are virtually unrecognizable, a little up here, a little down there, etc. It's annoying to know exactly the determinative factors for how a prospect will pan out.)

11/19/2015 11:56 AM
Posted by mattedesa on 11/18/2015 11:42:00 PM (view original):
Wow. I totally don't get all the people thinking this is a disaster. I think the problems it reduces are 10x the few it might cause. It introduces variance into what has become a stale game. It's like unlocking and figuring out how to beat a new level. Sure, it's harder, but isn't challenge the fun of a game? It improves the chances of new owners having a fighting chance, making it more likely they will stick around and join our currently shrinking community. Nothing is going to be perfect or please everyone, but this sounds like clear progress to me.
Great post, especially this part:

It introduces variance into what has become a stale game. It's like unlocking and figuring out how to beat a new level. Sure, it's harder, but isn't challenge the fun of a game?
11/19/2015 12:30 PM
Will the hitter and pitcher spreadsheets be updated every time there is a salary change?

And if 'salary universes' are used, a la schwarze's suggestion, will they be tracked on a spreadsheet as well?
11/19/2015 12:30 PM
Posted by mattedesa on 11/18/2015 11:42:00 PM (view original):
this
11/19/2015 12:47 PM
I agree with contrarian23. This is a most welcome change.
11/19/2015 1:28 PM
◂ Prev 1...5|6|7|8|9...17 Next ▸
Dynamic Pricing Feedback Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.