Open Letter to the Stupid Unsolicited Trade Guy Topic

My favorite "stupid unsolicited trade guy" story:

Many years ago, I had taken over an abandoned team in another world.  As I was trying to get a handle on the team and right the ship, I get an unsolicited offer from some random dude in the world.  It was your typical 3 mediocre prospects for 1 stud prospect offer that we often see from guys like this.  I actually tried to be nice and explain why I was declining the offer, rather than just do my usual rejection without comment for an unsolicited offer.

Well, this guy must have thought I was a n00b who didn't know his *** from his elbow, and he then tried the used car salesman hard sell on me, telling me how he was stupid for making such a one sided offer in my favor that he would definitely later regret, blah, blah, blah.  I responded by pointing out how the one-sidedness was actually in his favor and that I wasn't going to make the deal.  He then responded by telling me how one of the mediocre guys he was trying to send me was going to be a bad-*** stud in a couple of seasons, and that I was being stupid for not immediately accepting the offer. 

Now, I'm starting to get ****** at the way he's trying to play me, and tell him so.  A few more back and forth trade chats, and in the end he tells me that he no longer wants to make the deal, how he's going to keep his future bad-*** stud, and how he's going to dominate the world in a couple of seasons with Mr. Bad-*** leading the way and that I'll be sorry that I never accepted the deal, blah, blah, blah.

Wish I could remember the world and the owner in question.  He was a real trip. 

11/27/2015 1:27 PM
It was me, in Cooperstown and the player you mention was The Great Jimmy Powell.   He's winning Cy Youngs and you're winning nothing.

SO THERE!!!!!

11/27/2015 1:36 PM
I'm pretty sure that's not it.
11/27/2015 3:03 PM
I'm almost certain most of that is true.
11/27/2015 3:50 PM
Lowball offers never start a conversation with me.  They always end any additional communication.
11/27/2015 5:06 PM
I dunno. I get lowball offers, then chat back and ask 'are you willing to deal X or add X dollars?'

And if I get some sort of reasonable reaponse, I start from there in negotiations.

If the other owner starts telling me all the flaws related to the player he's trying to acquire, I know its over. Why would you criticize the player you made an offer for - right from the door right?
11/28/2015 8:43 AM
I dunno. I get lowball offers, then chat back and ask 'are you willing to deal X or add X dollars?'

And if I get some sort of reasonable reaponse, I start from there in negotiations.

If the other owner starts telling me all the flaws related to the player he's trying to acquire, I know its over. Why would you criticize the player you made an offer for - right from the door right?
11/28/2015 8:43 AM
◂ Prev 12
Open Letter to the Stupid Unsolicited Trade Guy Topic

Search Criteria

Terms of Use Customer Support Privacy Statement

© 1999-2024 WhatIfSports.com, Inc. All rights reserved. WhatIfSports is a trademark of WhatIfSports.com, Inc. SimLeague, SimMatchup and iSimNow are trademarks or registered trademarks of Electronic Arts, Inc. Used under license. The names of actual companies and products mentioned herein may be the trademarks of their respective owners.